1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to compliment girls in the street?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Peacekeeper, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

I have this class in the u, the teachers are feminist and we were talking about gender violence. They say that complimenting a girl in the street is street harassment. I said I see no problem if it is done with respect. I also said if Brad Pitt said to one of them they were pretty they wouldn't mind. It seems to me that feminism want us to strip away of any manifestation of our masculinity. I do believe there are some behaviours that shouldn't be encouraged, like any manifestation of violence or superiority of men. But feminisim is based in the notion that men and women are excactly the same. All the books I've read from estearn disciplines talk about the Yin Yang, and how there is male sexual energy and female sexual energy and how we behave different sexually. Neither is superior or better.

I think this disciplines that have thousen of years know better than a bunch of theoretical feminist.

I'm interested especially in what the women in this forum have to say about this, I could be wrong.

2. nofepper

nofepper Fapstronaut

Depends...it's not same when you say "hey girl you have very nice hair" and when you say "hello b..tch, nice butt, i'd f.ck it".

And don't forget, feminist nowadays are mostly just bunch of idiots (there are a lot of proofs on YT). Klara Zetkin was real feminist and fighter for women rights.

3. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

That's why I said with respect. In the class I said I see no problem in saying something nice to girl (I like your eyes, I love the way you move, etc.)

And they say that was wrong too.

Noelle likes this.
  4. Noelle

Noelle Fapstronaut

Depends. Some women are more understanding than others. But i know I'd get sort of creeped out if a stranger came and said I had nice hair or something. :)

5. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

Nice to know that. It really depends, one of my friends got married to a girl he met at the subway.

6. MarinoBigFan1984

MarinoBigFan1984 Fapstronaut

7. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

I`ve complimented quite a few women in the street.

Never once had a bad reaction.

Peacekeeper likes this.
  8. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

I wish instead of saying "Brad Pitt", beacuse obiously it's impossible, I have said: what if a very good looking man said a compliment to you in the street? How would you react?

9. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

I`m short with a receding hairline

10. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Fapstronaut

Ok, then when it's creepy and when it's not? Is it about the person, is it about the context...?

11. WreckTangle

WreckTangle Fapstronaut

IMO saying something like that to a woman on the street you don't know is inappropriate, not respectful, or a manifestation of a man's masculinity. I really don't want my wife or daughter to have to put up with that kind of crap either.

I say find a better way to meet women that is not as disrespectful. Yes, you might lose one chance in a thousand, but I suspect everyone will be healthier in the end.

MiddleGround1706 and Peacekeeper like this.
  12. nofepper

nofepper Fapstronaut

lol, i believe it depends of situation...it's not same if some creepy ner do it and when it do someone who looks like (as OP wrote) Brad Pit...truth or not?

i had wish to say it to one girl in market couple days ago (but i didn't)...she know me (even know my name, i pay with visa), i am standard customer there and she changed her hairstyle (and yes, she looks very nice with new hairstyle)

13. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

As long as it isn't something that may sound insulting/provocative, I don't think it should be an issue in my opinion. Of course there's the chance that you may run into a stupid feminist that will take what you say the wrong way, but if you do run into one then just ignore those dingbats.

noonoon and Peacekeeper like this.
  14. Mavricko

Mavricko Fapstronaut

No. It's creepy. Doesn't matter who you are or what you look like. Complimenting people you don't know on appearance is very creepy.

flapper101, Poseidon and Peacekeeper like this.
  15. True-Self

True-Self Fapstronaut

I think the issue is intent. If you are complimenting women on the street in an effort to strike up a conversation or get their number than I think it comes across as creepy. People don't like being bothered when they are on their way someplace.

If you are walking by a woman who has really nice, unique hair, you make eye contact with her and say " I really like your hair" - and keep walking on, I see no issues with this. If you see a woman from far away and going running up to her just to compliment her than that comes off as creepy in my opinion.

I'm a straight married male. A ways back as I was putting a package in a UPS drop-box, some dude walked by me and said "you have really beautiful eyes". I just said thanks and went on my way. This didn't creep me out and I enjoyed getting the compliment. If he had said, "you have really beautiful eyes, can I get your number" - that I would not have appreciated and would have made me uncomfortable.

16. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Each person’s definition of “insulting” or “provocative” can vary. What you think is innocent might not seem that way to the recipient. If a woman is getting unwanted remarks from a complete stranger and reacts accordingly, she isn’t necessarily a “stupid feminist” or a “dingbat.” It’s kind of ignorant to call a woman by those names especially when she probably is getting hit on constantly by the numerous men she encounters throughout the day (and it probably has been happening several times a day for several years). Anyone could see how that would get old after a while and a fed up woman (dealing with that for so long) might just blow up on the next guy who even smiles in her direction and I wouldn’t blame her.

I think this member was spot on:

WreckTangle likes this.
  17. I think that's dumb. It always brightens my day when someone gives me a compliment, as long as it's not creepy. Even if it's flirtatious, that's fine too. I just tell them I'm happily married, but thank you for the compliment. No reason to make a fuss over someone being nice to you. There's so much rudeness in this world, and now we're complaining about people giving compliments? Geez Louise. People who subscribe to that kind of ideology are never going to be happy. What a sad life to live.

18. hi you have nice hair or something

19. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Creep!

:p

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. If intent is the deciding factor, what is the intent? Do men compliment random girls as an altruistic way of "hey lets Britten her day!" Fuck no. We do it b/c we find her attractive and either consciously or subconsciously want to let her know that. Have any of you walked past a ninety year old grandma and said "Hey love your hair!" No. You haven't.

So the intent isn't merely to give a compliment there is an anterior (albeit probably small) intent. And that intent is rooted in an attraction which is desire.

So by this train of thought I arrive at the conclusion that it is inappropriate. Unless she smile at you. Then hell yeah--compliment her.

WreckTangle and Poseidon like this.