1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on breaking/making habits

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by anonymouse80, Sep 6, 2014.

1. anonymouse80

anonymouse80 Fapstronaut

I came across a posting on brainpickings.org about William James' treatise "Habit". Some of the quotations are very apt for the situation I (and I imagine many others on this site) are in. Here are a few.

Never suffer an exception to occur till the new habit is securely rooted in your life. Each lapse is like the letting fall of a ball of string which one is carefully winding up; a single slip undoes more than a great many turns will wind again. Continuity of training is the great means of making the nervous system act infallibly right … It is surprising how soon a desire will die of inanition if it be never fed.​
    and

Just as, if we let our emotions evaporate, they get into a way of evaporating; so there is reason to suppose that if we often flinch from making an effort, before we know it the effort-making capacity will be gone; and that, if we suffer the wandering of our attention, presently it will wander all the time. Attention and effort are … but two names for the same psychic fact.​

The complete book is available here and the brainpickings article is at http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/09/25/william-james-on-habit/

2. krazykhan786

krazykhan786 Fapstronaut

3. Techiyew

Techiyew Guest

4. medstudent82

medstudent82 Fapstronaut

That's exactly how it feels. Like a ton of effort is undone with incredible ease.