1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is courage?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by noonoon, Nov 21, 2017.

1. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

I'm a fighter. But this nofap thing, the day in and day out grind, the running in the dark towards a hope and a prayer, badgered by fear and desires, it's a different enemy. It's clever. Devious. Powerful. It gets into our very heart and holds with meat hooks until we feel the fight must tear out out very heart.

Today the most courageous thing I can do is bear the onslaught of emotion and temptation. Sit and take a beating never knowing when relief will come.

We are the front lines of a cultural war, not against a political enemy, but against a spirit of our times, a spirit of consumption and selfishness, of lust and greed.

Oh yes, it's a war.

Carry on courageous soldiers!

LEPAGE, vxlccm, STAR DUST and 2 others like this.
  2. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

Courage = Willingness to face evil

noonoon likes this.
  3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

^^ Nope all wrong, that is NOT courage, PM if you want to know what courage is.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

No we’re not.

5. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

No, you're not. I am

MLMVSS and Knighthawk like this.
  6. I always thought courage was standing your ground even though you are afraid.

lantti and noonoon like this.
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

That’s what the word means, yes.

8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I always see courage as being a related word to confidence. Looking at word origins, confidence comes from the Latin words for "with faith". Courage can then be something similar; you may stand for your beliefs "with faith" that things will work out, in some way, at the end.

noonoon and RainbowShell like this.
  9. That actually makes a lot of sense, I agree they are related for sure.

MLMVSS likes this.
  10. tweeby

tweeby Banned

So far all fail IMO with perhaps the exception of poseidon. Guys who taught you this LOL?

11. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

And who says you're right?

12. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I'm always right.

13. Think its a matter of how we think about it, Courage is standing up to fight even though we are afraid, fear can be uncertainty on what is to come, so courage is kind of like knowing things are not certain but you still go in fighting and embrace it.

noonoon, MLMVSS and Knighthawk like this.
  14. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

The moral beliefs people hold dear are being challenged on a daisy basis. So, yes, there is a war.

noonoon likes this.
  15. noonoon

noonoon Fapstronaut

You've actually not yet stated what you believe courage is, only what you believe it is not. So perhaps while we can't agree what courage is we can agree on what it is not - a snickering, sneering sideline critic. The worst sorts of cowards.

MLMVSS likes this.
  16. splinter

splinter Fapstronaut

Daisies are beautiful flowers though, so we need to save the daisies

17. You are totally right. Of course it is a war, why else do we let enslave us so easily, while we first even didn't know?
    Yep, the war is spiritual. Must think about this verse:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (Ef 6)

Imo, courage is power, but also authority you receive from a "leader", to do what you is told to do.
    Or, to do what you know deep inside you have to do.

noonoon likes this.
  18. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Oh, hush! It's 8:45am and I've been up for awhile. Gimme a break!

But, alas, the daisies must be saved! Don't allow the gov't and society to fight them!

noonoon likes this.
  19. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Nope, people can still believe whatever they want. They just can’t expect the rest of the world to compose its rules and regulations based on what certain people believe.

20. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

And that is exactly what Leftists want to do: expect the rest of the world to compose rules and regulations based on their own beliefs.