1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold baths

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FormerFapaholic, Nov 23, 2017.

1. FormerFapaholic

FormerFapaholic Fapstronaut

AS a lot of people talk about having cold showers, and the benefits of having them. Thus, recommending them to others. But what about cold baths?

The thing is, I don’t have cold showers. I have cold baths. One of the main reasons I have one is because I don’t have a shower in my bathroom. So, I don’t really have much choice in how to stay clean as of now.

But putting myself through the discomfort of putting my whole body in freezing cold water. Of which I bathe in for around 5-10 minutes. I love getting the rush of drive, energy and clarity once I climb out of the bath.

But one of the best things, is that it’s a great tool for killing those urges. Something that us Fapstronauts are all too familiar with. The shock to the system from my body being exposed, and going through the discomfort in ice-cold water. It distracts me from – and takes my mind off – the urges I happen to have.

Other stuff from having cold baths prior to staying off PMO. Is that it’s aided weight loss, and I’ve become a bit leaner from having them. With my fat cells burning energy (and calories) to try and keep me warm. My hair and skin complexion have also improved as well. When I have cold baths before bed, I also tend to have a better quality of sleep too.

With the benefits I gain from having cold baths. I can go on all day about them. But it’s become a force of habit and I have made it as part of my daily routine. More so since I’ve kick-started my reboot, and it’s something that works for me.

Jocker, DIYAS1 and Nector12 like this.
  2. Nector12

Nector12 Fapstronaut

I should try cold baths/showers more often, thanks!

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  3. I don't agree with stressing myself for no reason. Just my 2 cents.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Great step out of comfort, I would also practice cold baths but I dont have bathtub. The next step is swimming in cold water in lake. It's incredibly healthy and charges energy for the whole day perfectly.

5. tiredofbeingtired

tiredofbeingtired Fapstronaut

Cold showers aren't just about the "learning to love discomfort" mentality though. For me I just feel really good after, like really alive and awake and I'm in a better, optimistic mood. I wouldn't be surprised if the evidence about them helping with depression was true.

6. I think this thread has inspired me to take a cold shower after I wake up later.

7. Results: the cold water that rolled down my neck onto my back was truly painful.

8. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

Do you not want to improve and get out of your comfort zone?

9. Having a cold bath isn’t improving. I don’t get out of my comfort zone for no reason.

10. tiredofbeingtired

You can do this without taking cold showers.

11. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

How so? What other methods are there?

12. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

Then what reason do you need to get out of your comfort zone? And why os is it not improving, if you dont mind me asking?

13. For things that I want to succeed at. That’s not having a cold bath. No offence. That’s lifting more in the gym, better physique, better health, better life. Improving my house and standard of living . Stuff like that. Cold showers and baths is just wasting time in my day unnecessarily with no positives. My opinion.

14. Are you serious? What’s the gym then? Improving and getting out of your comfort zone. That’s one of many examples. If you want to do better at work, you can study and analyse things and physically work harder. That’s getting out of your comfort zone and improving. Arguably though a deliberate choice isn’t being out of your comfort zone anyway. It’s just a cliche expression.

Hate to break it to you , but cold baths isn’t improving you. It’s just getting you out of your comfort zone. There’s no benefit to it, unless it’s required for a medical reason. Not trying to be a dick I’m just keeping it real here.

15. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

I agree 100% with the fact that the gym is getting out of your comfort zone too.

At the core of it, working out involves stressing your body and nervous system, which is the same thing involved with cold exposure. Most items

Cold exposure has been scientifically documented and proven to boost immune system function, increased fat burning, fight inflammation, boosts sleep quality etc

Moreover, cold exposure is possibly the ultimate exercise in delayed gratification because your body immediately activates the flight or fight sympathetic nervous system response and through gradual exposure you could actually train it to calm down.

I'm sure you have heard of wim hof method?

I'm 100% serious. I agree with your sentiment about the gym.

Yet the the gym is not the only source of improving and getting out of your comfort zone.

The value of any activity in the improvement spectrum is determined by positive health benefits through stress (which just means getting out of your comfort zone). Activities such as resistance training, running (my personal favourite), cold exposure are all within that category, they really aren't much different from each other except cold exposure is probably the most difficult to face.

There was a time where I too would have said the same about cold exposure to "keep it real" until I took the plunge myself (pun intended) and saw the benefits. I'm sure you have seen the photos of athletes sitting in buckets of ice water after games.

Anything positively beneficial and getting out of your comfort zone is GOOD. If there was no benefit to it, we wouldn't even be talking about it. I know I wouldn't. Wouldn't you agree?

I would encourage you to give it a go and face your fears. Turn on the tap as cold as possible. I have found personally whenever I'm getting out of comfort zone in one area of life, I tend to automatically transfer that quality to a seemingly unrelated area. Its weird but it works. I'm sure you'd like to multiply and obtain the cumulative effect of getting out of your comfort zone in life.

16. tiredofbeingtired

As a side note I jumped in my unheated pool last night and it was so cold but it also felt amazing. Pretty fun.

17. Cold baths would, by logic, have the same effect as cold showers but would be far more difficult. I find baths an inefficient way to wash but that's a different subject entirely xD