1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for job --> Gosh this is so depressing...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by JustinX, Mar 7, 2018.

1. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

I really hate it, you applied like idiot to 50 jobs and nothing, they dont even let you know that they dont want you ... gosh so much wasted time and effort...

Any successful strategies or anything that might help to make it less depressing?

Deleted Account, WesternWolf and u376 like this.
  2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Forget online applications, well, don't put too much emphasis on them, as most of them end up being ranked by an algorithm - if your CV/resume doesn't match the criteria you automatically get nexted. If you can try and get an email you know actually exists and contact them through that or even make a phone call.

That's my personal opinion.

Heráclito and JustinX like this.
  3. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I always found linkedin helps A LOT! when an employer can see your face and profile, it increases your chances of getting hired. I agree with @tweeby don't waste your time with online applications. I've spent 4 months doing that and applied to like 1500 different jobs with no luck.

Once I created a linkedin and only applied to jobs who didn't have any major applications on them, than I began to get calls.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

A friend of mine was looking for a job for 7 months and finally found one recently. Just keep trying.

5. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

4 month and 7 month holy moly ... I am searching just 2 weeks and already I am going nuts.
    I started to use linkedin 2 days ago, applied there for about 20 jobs but probably need to give it more time particularly when I can see that just via LinkedIn there is 70 other applications for that job.

6. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Do you have a strong cv? Do you tailor your covering letter for that job? What job are you looking for?

7. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

CV looks really great, I have used similar template to this one https://www.zmescience.com/other/offbeat-other/elon-musk-cv-25042016/.
    I am not sending cover letter as I heard that for technical jobs it is not so necessary as they mostly look on your CV what skill you have.
    My problem is that I just finished uni I have a PhD along with 5 professional certificates that most people do after 5 years of working but I have very limited working experience. So I always ended up being overeducated for graduate job and too unexperienced for normal job.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

LOL, yeah you may need to be a bit patient... It depends on how much time you put everyday to applying for jobs. My sister in law has been looking for over a year and she still hasn't found anything... though she really doesn't put that much effort in it.

9. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Dealing with same situation brother
    But I am more worried about interviews
    That's why I am not applying much

Deleted Account and WesternWolf like this.
  10. I know how you feel it sucks to apply and not hear anything I have been there a lot in my life when I did get hired I made a point not to do business with those companies that never got back with me, if they were not giving me a job I was not going to spend money from a place that hired me at places that did not .Good luck I know how it feels

11. Gahhhh I hate interviews I always end up saying something stupid with a weird inflection. I'm currently in the middle of looking for jobs and it drives me nuts that I never find out how I did.

Deleted Account and u376 like this.
  12. The advice I have been getting is to not get discouraged and tired by the process and to think of it more of a character building process. I don't have an issue with applying online so much, it's the actually interview events that make my anxiety level rise. Perhaps to make it seem less depressing you can write out a goal of how many jobs you can apply to per day or to take deep breaths and read some motivational quotes. It also doesn't hurt to hone into senses of patience and perseverance. I have been almost pulling my hair out with so much free time because I am also still searching too.

Deleted Account likes this.