1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Humor

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by muterabbit, Mar 14, 2018.

1. muterabbit

muterabbit Fapstronaut

So I’m aware of the basics of conversation, of listening to the other person for topics to talk about and asking open-ended questions. However, I could really use some advice or resources about how to develop my sense of humor.

I want to be able to say funny stuff to make people (ladies in particular) laugh, but I tend to draw a blank when it comes to seeing humor in life. I’m really tickled by some of the stuff that some of my coworkers say and see my female coworkers enjoy the humor, and I just think, “I wish I could do that for people.”

I tend to be on the serious side, so I feel like I kind of suck some of the good vibes out of the room, which I feel bad about.

2. Spontaneous humor is something that some people are naturally good at. I always admired people who were quick to crack a joke. This is something that you can get better at. What I find that works is to pay attention to people. What they say/do, what's going on around you in the moment. If you're watching for something humorous, you can always find it. Just be careful not to offend anyone.

muterabbit and Deleted Account like this.
  3. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

Best resources on humour and how to develop it naturally are 2 part podcasts by Robert Glover - Busting on Woman. Together 1 hour long but they totally changed my humour for better not only with woman but also with friends and family. Highly recommended, it was the only thing I needed to get it sorted.

It is really hard to find it on internet (I dont think it's for free anywhere) so if you still want it send me a PM and I can privately send it to you.

muterabbit likes this.
  4. Humor is all about seeing the absurdity in things we do and having the timing to bring it out.

Is there an improv class or group you could join? It will push you out of your comfort zone but teaches a lot.

You can even pretend you’re a stand up comic and write your own jokes.

muterabbit likes this.
  5. muterabbit

muterabbit Fapstronaut

Thank you for all the useful advice, guys. I really appreciate it. That podcast sounds like some really good stuff, so I’ll definitely have to check that out. I don’t know if there’s any improv near where I live, but that’s a great idea. Some of the funniest comedians got started with improv, not to mention it would help me think quicker, and I could certainly use an expansion of my comfort zone.

6. Uncultivated

Uncultivated Fapstronaut

Instead of saying the next obvious line in a comversation, say something not only unexpected or absurd but which is layered with double or more meanings , at least one of which is directly relevant to what's under conversation. It requires good acting, feeling serious while saying something not serious. It's called tongue in cheek.

muterabbit likes this.
  7. Uncultivated

Uncultivated Fapstronaut

8. PrimalFeeling

PrimalFeeling Fapstronaut

Start by making jokes about how your not funny at all.

Also learn to use sarcasm in conversation, it doesn't even need to be funny at first.

Girls love sarcasm.

9. Are you able to make a small gathering of your friends laugh? If so, that is a good start.

I'm rather serious myself, and quiet too, but I can be sitting at a table with my friends and make a deadpan observation or witty wordplay that has them, as the kids would say, rofl'ing.

Whilst jokes are good, observations can be the goldmine of glee.

muterabbit likes this.
  10. muterabbit

muterabbit Fapstronaut

I’d say I’m the same. Sometimes my friends all get quiet just to hear what my observation is. One of my teachers once said I had a dry sense of humor. Not sure if that’s the same thing.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. For me it is. I've had enough people comment on the dryness of my humour that I've taken to comparing my sense of humour to a good martini.

muterabbit likes this.
  12. muterabbit

muterabbit Fapstronaut

That’s some hilarious wordplay. I take my hat off to you.

Deleted Account likes this.
  13. The fact that I really like a good dry martini is just an added bonus. ;):emoji_cocktail:

muterabbit likes this.
  14. restaurant

restaurant Fapstronaut

If youre able to laugh about yourself, you got it.

Dont say "i have no sense of humor". Laugh about it. I mean, isnt it funny somehow?

Ah yes, of course there are different types of humor, but thats what im doing, and i often heard i have a good sense of humor. Just because of the fact i dont take myself too seriously.

I hope you got my point.

Res

muterabbit and Deleted Account like this.