1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Approaching Girls - US vs UK

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Dunmer54, Mar 23, 2018.

Is it easier to approach girls in the US or the UK?

1. US

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. UK

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Dunmer54

Dunmer54 Fapstronaut

I’ve read a lot online about approaching random girls, and it seems (to me anyway) that this ‘cold approach’ method is more of an American thing. I live in the UK and the thought of talking to random strangers in the street, supermarket, library, gym etc. is kind of weird (like cmon i go to the shop to buy food, that’s what it’s there for why would I do anything else lol). Also I’ve never seen anyone try to pickup girls in these mundane environments. The only viable places to talk to random people would be places like university, societies/social groups, student bars, clubs, parties and such.

I just feel us brits are perhaps more reserved than americans are, and in turn, are less accepting of strangers coming up and talking to us. Then again I’ve never been to the US so I’d be really interested in what you guys over there think:) or if anyone agrees with me lol

2. I'd say it's pretty much the same where I live. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves and I've never seen guys trying to pick up women in the grocery store. Not saying that it doesn't happen, but it's just not a norm where I live. Keep in mind that the US is a huge country, so it depends on what part of the country you live. For instance, I have friends that now live in Florida, and I remember one of them mentioning how alot of women there are not shy about approaching guys first. So I think that the southern states are a bit less inhibited and open to a cold approach.

3. Sounds like you're just a little shy buddy, come out of your comfort zone a bit - say hi to people, you might be pleasantly surprised... And hey, you never know if you don't try!

I am from the UK, but frequently visit the USA. I will say that in my opinion, people in the USA are a lot more approachable, but this is potentially just because I'm an English guy... I guess if I was an American in the UK then people here would be more likely to give me the benefit of the doubt & open up a little more...

I know what you mean though, it can feel a little weird hitting on people in supermarket etc... And it would be if you did it in a weird way of just walking up to someone and saying "hey want to date?" but I've been in the supermarket plenty of times and started random conversations with people that could have likely escalated into a date if I'd asked.

Heck I remember one time many years ago I was walking past a girl and she was hot as hell, I literally told her straight out that I thought she was beautiful & asked for her number... She gave me it & me ended up in a relationship.... Yes it failed a few months later lol but still... It works!

These days though, like you, I'm a little more reserved.. Though I'm starting to come back out of my shell again now that I'm on day 16 (or day 17 whatever I'm on lol - can't see my sig whilst typing)

Deleted Account and GG2002 like this.
  4. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I’m female so I don’t know the answer but I’m following as I’m intrigued. I will say that we ladies are suckers for a British accent, really any accent. My friend is from South Africa and the way people respond to him is much friendlier. When I was in a small town in Australia people kept asking to hear my American accent lol. But as for friendliest to me in the US it is very dependent on where you are. In the South you are going to find friendlier people, as well as in small towns. In major cities on the east coast like New York or dc people are quite rude, west coast cities are friendlier.

5. Hence why I like to spend so much time in the USA... LOL ;)

American people ARE generally, in my opinion much more outgoing & confident than British people though... That is my observation.

For example, I was in America & someone randomly said to me "hey man nice shoes".. And we started a conversation. That sort of thing just totally wouldn't happen in the UK, as people often just head down walk past each other.

It's like people in America like commenting on things out loud to other people... For example again, I was in an elevator and a lady got in... Anyway half down she looked at the name on my t-shirt and asked if he was a sportsman or something... Just random little things like that, but again in an elevator in England it's not common for people to speak to each other like that.. Not really anyway.

I will add though that the conversation with her in the elevator was probably one of the most awkward moments I've ever had LOL because I totally didn't understand what she was going on about until I got out haha.

Ashar and GG2002 like this.
  6. Dunmer54

Dunmer54 Fapstronaut

I wouldn’t say I’m that shy, I’ll happily talk to classmates when I’m at uni (both dudes and girls) and I’m a lot more sociable when I’ve had a few drinks at parties lol
    But I guess talking to strangers in other places is a little out of my comfort zone, so maybe it wouldn’t hurt to try?

You make a good point about people giving foreigners the benefit of the doubt, and the accent is likely a prominent factor too;)

When you approached the hot girl was that in the UK or US? That would be really interesting to know aha

7. ukbritishbloke

ukbritishbloke Fapstronaut

I think this is totally possible in the UK. But I think it only works here if you drop the idea of "picking up girls" partly because I think British girls anyway see that coming a mile off and just like to have a laugh about it.

The way to do it is to try to be a bit friendlier and more outgoing generally. Smile at people more, talk to them a bit more. Do you talk to checkout women (and men) at the supermarket? Why not? I think mostly that helps them get through their day.

If you get used to doing that without thinking about dating at all, you'll end up saying hello to more girls as part of it. I think the best thing is not to instantly want a date (though that can happen) but to remember a girl you've spoken to once for the next time you see her (as you may well do if she's often near your home or work). Then you can say hello again and maybe that's the time to ask her out.

Peace467 and Dunmer54 like this.
  8. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

What is the big deal about going up and introduce yourself and talk to a girl. Its not rocket science.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  9. It was in the UK... Damn I remember it so well... Heck I even couldn't get my words out straight - but she was just WOW...

I was cycling along the cycle path, and she was walking along in the opposite direction... I passed her and she was looking incredible... Anyway, I got further down the road, I thought fuck it.. I turned around and I say "hey your beautiful could I get your number"... something along those lines...

She said "what", so I panicked, then she took her earphone out lol she just didn't hear me... So I had to say it again, this time around I said something like "hey your phone can I get your beautiful" LOL

Anyway long story short she gave me her number... We texted a few times, then one sunny day we arranged to meet up. We just went to a park, her and her friend, me and my friend.. And I ended up in a relationship with her that summer lol.

But yeah had I have just gone past year, that would have been the last I'd have ever seen of her...

Peace467 and Deleted Account like this.
  10. Dunmer54

Dunmer54 Fapstronaut

Unlucky bro, at least you took the plunge so good on you.
    I should follow suit, maybe start small like minor interactions with people then just build it up over time.

11. Yeah just go for it. In supermarkets I tend to just ask people daft questions or stuff like that... Even if I know the answer... Simply because social interaction with strangers can be a nice way to brighten the day :)

Plus you will find if you ask a daft question it is much easier to start a conversation, because then after you can say "ohhh silly me, I'm always doing this you know because... insert blah blah here" :)

Deleted Account and Dunmer54 like this.
  12. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Just because other people aren't initiating interactions with strangers doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. Its called balls and nobody else has any. Everybody has something in common and one of those commonalities is the blindness to the commonalities amongst ourselves. If you start casual conversations with people you should usually get a positive response. Just be cool. Any time I cold approach a girl it may be a little awkward at first but then it gets better and goes well even if she's not interested. I have literally never had a girl (even a random girl) reject me or tell me to fuck off in a rude or hurtful way. Only good things will happen and there is nothing to lose.

13. I remember an American living in the UK said that generally British people are more private than Americans, and I think that is true. But as long as you don't cross that privacy line it should be ok. I'd say In big cities people are less friendly but smaller cities and villages people may be less friendly. I remember having a nice conversation with this old lady in the village I used to work in. She was complaining about how people were unfriendly in a nearby city.

If you are going to start a conversation with someone it's always best to smile and make eye contact (but not too much eye contact). Smiling at someone does wonders.

14. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

It works in the UK. I've done it.

Just try to feel where the girl you are talking too is at. I feel it's less USA vs UK and more the personality of the girl your approaching.

I did it in a university city though so most of the girls I ended up talking too where students

Gotham Outlaw and Dunmer54 like this.