1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Four Tendencies

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Apr 3, 2018.

1. The four tendencies are:

• Upholders respond readily to outer and inner expectations
    • Questioners question all expectations; they’ll meet an expectation if they think it makes sense--essentially, they make all expectations into inner expectations
    • Obligers meet outer expectations, but struggle to meet expectations they impose on themselves
    • Rebels resist all expectations, outer and inner alike
    Which one are you?

You can take the quiz here.

2. I took the quiz and as expected came back as a rebel. I think that's why I became a PA and find myself disagreeing with about 70% of the advice given to me.

This is what it said:

According to your answers, your dominant Tendency is Rebel.

Rebels resist all expectations, outer and inner alike. They act from a sense of choice, from freedom. Rebels wake up and think, “What do I want to do today?”

They resist control, even self-control, and enjoy flouting rules and expectations. They sometimes frustrate others—and even themselves—because they resist any expectation, even one that’s self-imposed.

Rebels resist habits, but they can embrace habit-like behaviors by tying their actions to their choices and their identity.

3. asbgca

asbgca Fapstronaut

Nice quiz! Questioner, as I thought. I wish it gave the secondary quality too. I think my second quality is selectively an Upholder/Rebel depending on who's imposing the outer expectation.

A41:14A and Deleted Account like this.
  4. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

Turns out I'm an upholder bud :)

vxlccm likes this.
  5. Rebel here, good stuff, it seems Rebels can justify adopting habits with their perceived identity or who they want to be. For instance, if you wanted to see yourself as someone who was healthy and strong, you could use this to justify a habit of exercising daily or eating healthy. But again, is this not applicable to all the tendencies?

6. They said that I'm a questioner which makes sense since I like to question things and think a lot.

A41:14A and Deleted Account like this.
  7. I'm a questioner, which in some ways makes sense, but in others I disagree. I actually find myself to be particularly NOT curious about a lot of things, and I find it odd when people are. My husband, for example, is always asking questions, especially like when we are watching a show or something, and I always find myself frustratingly replying with "Idk, why does it matter? Just watch the dang show." That happens a lot with me, not just in superficial things like shows, but like the great, unknowable questions of the universe. I'm pretty satisfied with just shrugging and saying "Who knows?" most of the time.

Ragnar_Lothbrok likes this.
  8. Maybe you are a questioner because you came to the realization that there aren't always answers to every question in life and you came up to this realization through questioning everything? I may be wrong.

9. Eh, Idk. Perhaps that lines up.

A41:14A likes this.