1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Game Addiction/Obsession

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by guy209, Apr 4, 2018.

1. NightReaper775

NightReaper775 Fapstronaut

"Fun" is a subjective and even then a troublesome concept. I can have fun playing Fortnite, League of Legends, ArmA, etc. but at the same time, the whole experience is nothing less than boring, stressful. After a few hours, the whole gaming experience turns out as a routine, a way to pass the time, to compete and socialize, an excuse really. And in all these regards, it falls short: it is not the best way to socialize (in fact, it can be pretty terrible at engaging socially and having a nice relationship with others), it is not the best way to learn a skill or develop oneself (even going for a walk has more benefits than starring at a screen for hours and hours), it is not the best way to pass the time (a book, a good movie, etc. makes you question things and feel relaxed. Gaming, on the contrary, keeps you "pumped up" and alert, without rationalizing too much). A routine, like cooking or studying, can be as enjoyable and make your day feel complete or worth it (gaming most of the time ends up feeling like a waste of time and a compulsion more than any discipline or improvement).

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Gaming is a complete waste of time unless you are the top in esports (even then its terrible) or a twitch/youtube personality or make money off it somehow.

3. NightReaper775

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. I was saying that even though games can be fun at moments, as a whole the experience of gaming is not (as) pleasurable at all. It involves a lot of stress, competition, alienation, etc. which in the end does not leave you better than you begin, but worse, tired, anxious, etc. This is not the end of relaxation and "having fun" in the slightest. You end up being consumed by the game in place of you consuming the game for your development. There are exceptions, but these are usually within a certain part of a game (like learning about History) or on a little selection of games.

When you spend the whole day grinding in a game or finishing a mission, it is like you have been working for hours: your vision is tired, you are disoriented, detached from your surroundings and your friends or family, you even end up procrastinating the things you said you were going to do after gaming because you (or your body) realized it was not relaxing.

As @AutumnBreeze said: unless you make a living out of this I would not advise it (and then it is still terrible and stressful and, in my opinion, not worth it).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    leo da king likes this.
  4. In the end its only your opinion, your argument can be aplied for movies too, even for books.Movies make you question things and games not ? Play some quality storydriven game than talk.

5. i guess watching shitty japanese anime serials is not waste of time in your books right ?

6. NightReaper775

Well, "truth" it's always our opinion or reconstruction of reality, quotes, experiences, etc. that best fits our world of ideas.

Yes, my argument can be applied for books and movies, I think I also said that before, and I also said some games can be paired up with books or movies in quality, but that, in the end, the experience is not the same. Especially in comparing gaming and books. Movies are quite a problem most of the times too. I have played story-driven games before and I liked them a lot, but that doesn't make them perfect or risk-free, in fact, they are the most problematic because they trap you for days and more times than not they never teach you anything outside of the game-world, make you feel relaxed or help you in your daily life interactions (in other words, the whole experience is futile). Reading a book requires you to at least step out from technology, most of the time (I recommend a Kindle or a paper book) and this helps you a lot, believe it or not.

7. Funny thing all people wich i saw read books are alone in library or cafe antisocials without freinds, i dont say books are bad, dont get me wrong, just fun fact. Never teach me anything you say, i have counterargument, Assassins creed or Kingdome Come teach me more than about history than school. But i guess this debate is pointless we both have our own worlds.

8. His avatar.

9. you're his bodyguard?

10. You have lion avatar without reason and than you talked about logic ok

11. NightReaper775

Well, in my defense my avatar is not anime but CGI (I think) about some Sci-Fi scenario, pretty random really and I found it nice because I like science fiction. :emoji_confused:

In regards to your comment @Fehr, I repeat my argument: games can teach us things, I am not criticizing them for that, I point out that the relationship with technology and the addictive properties of gaming are of greater risk than reading books, for example. Also, a lot of book readers are quite social and I find them healthier and more open, but that's just my impression, I could be wrong. As you said, we live in different worlds (not really, I picked up a lot from the gaming world).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  12. I don't actually watch a lot of cartoons or anime anymore, and the character in my profile picture represents social anxiety (which I obviously have). I can probably only name you 5 Japanese anime series. Anyway, from a person who loves video games very much (I have over 10,000 hours combined from multiple game genres) gaming is fun but I could have used those 10,000 hours somewhere else (i.e a hobby, more studying, workout, etc etc). Also, the anime in my pfp "Watamote" made me realize the reality of my situation and what I was becoming and helped me seek help (even lead me to this website). Gaming is fun, but chances are you don't benefit from it.

leo da king likes this.
  13. That anime response wasnt for you, i honestly like your avatar.

NightReaper775 likes this.
  14. Also please don't judge people by their avatar unless is something obviously offensive (like a Nazi swastika). You don't know who could be on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2018
    leo da king likes this.
  15. Im not author of this thread.

16. I read a quote somewhere "A mediocre man works so that he can afford to entertain himself with the creations of others, A successful man works to create something in pursuit of his vision is his entertainment"

leo da king likes this.
  17. Vassal

Vassal New Fapstronaut

I envy you. I stopped playing video games for awhile because I was addicted to them. I spent all my life on those things; Even forsaking school work just so I could play them. Once I graduated I would stay up for literal days just playing games. Even skipped meals at times because I wanted to keep playing. And now I have started playing them again.. Sort of. Horizon zero dawn is what I've been binge playing lately. I'm going to get kingdom come deliverance because I'm a sucker for a rpg with real medieval fighting techniques. As for playing in moderation... One thing I will be trying is setting a timer on my phone. Once that timer goes off I have to stop whatever I'm playing and study for thirty or so minutes. This way I can still have fun while not wasting my life away. So this is maybe something you could try? Probably set the time limit for playing higher than thirty minutes though because if you're like me (and since we both like open world rpgs I'm guessing you probably are) then thirty minutes will be a bit pointless because in games like that you can't accomplish a whole lot in thirty minutes. So maybe set it a bit higher so you feel like you've progressed a bit in the game and quitting playing to do something for a bit will be easier and you'll be less tempted to go back to the game. Just what I've been considering trying. Though there is such a thing as too high xD. Don't be playing for two hours straight. If this isn't your cup of tea... Maybe set aside a day or two that you can spend on the game and spend the rest focusing on studies or whatever

18. Funkypunky

Funkypunky Fapstronaut

Why are you arguing with a 14 year old just let him say whatever he wants he will grow up and realize what fun is and he will learn how to think effectively .

19. Funkypunky

Funkypunky Fapstronaut

Whoever you are if you are under 16 you dont have enough experience in life to think effectively its a brain thing when you will get 18 you will realise how shallow you were at the age of 14 .

20. NightReaper775

Well, you can be 18, 22, 30 and still make stupid choices or be a despicable human being, it's not really about age but about how you were raised, your biography. I usually don't find a lot of differences between 13 and 18 years of age, or between 18 and 25, at least in this modern society, people tend to behave like adolescents long after they've become "adults" (binging on addictions, partying instead of creating a life, making stupid decisions all around and being inmature).

leo da king likes this.