1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

BOOK LOVERS CLUB

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Future role model, Apr 6, 2018.

How often do you read books?

1. All the time

62 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Often

110 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. Rarely

37 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. I don't read at all

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. This is a thread for everyone in this community who enjoys reading books, and for anybody who wants to start reading them.

In this thread we will recommend and discuss books that we read.

Any type of book comes in consideration. It doesn't matter if it's self-help, novel, biography or even religious, everything is allowed.

Right now I'm about to finish The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, so I'll write my thought when I'm done with reading. I will also like to request from everybody not to spoil books, thanks!

2. I wish I read more frequently... But I'm reading The Underground Railroad, On the Front Line, What is the Bible? and The Marshmallow Test at the moment.

3. Wow all of those at the same time? It's quite impressive, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to read books...

4. Currently reading "The Saviors Champion" by Jenna Moreci. I'm pretty excited about it. It's kind of fantasy, which isn't usually my scene, but it's really good writing so far, and the more I hear of the story, the more I want to read it.

5. We have a similar taste! I'm still waiting for my library to get "Think and grow rich" and "Psycho cybernetics"... And I'm planning to read "The Power of Now" for a 2 months now, but some douche took it from the library and haven't returned it since... From the books that you recommended I've read "Eat that frog" and it's great book, everything is straightforward, that's why it's so small. But this self-help industry has many bad book that are somehow popular, probably because of their unusual titles. I remember reading "F**k it", as you can guess it's popular only because of the title, but book itself sucks, I couldn't even finish it, that's how bad it was...

6. Fightthedevil

Fightthedevil Fapstronaut

I just finished reading The Heart's invisible furies by John Boyne. God,It was an emotional roller-coaster.Depicted every aspect of life from happiness to sadness to success to failure to regret to heartbreak. Cyril Avery is gonna be a character I will not forget ever in my lifetime. That book taught me so much! Must Read. I am open to suggestions for fiction Genre,Please recommend something amazing.

7. One friend also recommended me that book, but sadly it's still not translated to my native language... Have you read "1984" or "The picture of Dorian Gray"? I heard those are great books and will probably pick one of them after I finish my current book that I'm reading.

8. Thanks for your advice! I've heard for The 17 principles but there's no version translated to my native language... I could probably understand it well on English, but I have just started reading books this year so I think I'll stick to my mother tongue for now. And I had some digital books that I've found on internet, but I started practicing speed reading, and it's almost impossible to do while you're reading off the screen... I'm using pencil as the navigator and I think I'm doing well, I'm able to read 200 pages long book for about 2 and a half hours.
    Used to read many books from my phone but I honestly got sick of it... That's why I decided to join the library, and I've also decided to take a break from my phone, so I left it in the box 2 months ago, now I'm using old Nokia. :)

9. Didn't know she had a new book out. I want to read Eve. She has a good YouTube channel.

Future role model likes this.
  10. The books are so different that I don't get mixed. I have different times in the day when I read each one.

11. Yeah, I love her channel! I just filmed my first authortube video, so we'll see how that turns out. Lol

And yeah, the Savior's Champion isn't quite out yet. I pre-ordered it, so I got the first five chapters early. Super good so far!

12. phantom_force2123

phantom_force2123 Fapstronaut

i read Animal farms back in high school. Want to erase my memory and read it again.I wish the ending was good though.

13. Rockyroad

Rockyroad Fapstronaut

I actually had the chance to read 35 books last year... but my goal was 40. I have read so many great sociological books over the past few years like Family Properties, Crook County, and American Apartheid and enjoyed more historical books based in Chicago like the Devil in the White City and Scoundrels in the City. My favorite book of all in the past few years I can't really recommend to people on this site because of the sexual nature and the sexual fetishes described. It's about the punk band NOFX. It is raw, honest, depressing, terrifying, disgusting, hilarious, inspiring, thought-provoking, tearful, and unforgettable.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  14. oneaffidavit

oneaffidavit Fapstronaut

1) How to stop worrying an start living by Dale Carnegie

Probably the most practical book on worry in general. This book along with Power of Now reduced my anxiety and fears by 50% when I was in college. All the anecdotes/stories are very interesting to read. The book is written in classic dale carnegie style which is easy to read and understand. This book really changed my mindset a lot.

2) Subtle art of not giving a f*ck by Mark Manson

I read this recently. Even though this book had many positive reviews and recommendations, I didn't really connect with the book. It is a good book but not as much I expected it to be.

3) The Slight Edge by Jeff Oslon

This book really talks about power of time. This books talks about how small things in life create more impact over time than big things in life which happen suddenly. It talks about power of consistency. This book is very realistic in terms of writing style. Apart from few places, author really gave solid advice and set right expectations to readers.

Book mainly conveys that extraordinary results don't come overnight. They take time, consistency and effort. It talks about iterative improvement lifestyle instead of making big leaps. It talks how things which are "easy to do" are also "easy not to do".

4) Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Great books explaining about our habits. Really interesting read. I read this book in couple of days.

5) Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

This book is often criticized for talking about luck factor in lives of great people but still it is eye opening read because it clearly explains outliers are not magical or angels. Book states that outliers are also ordinary humans who just were born at right time or right place which gave them some headstart or advantage over others.

It talks about canada hockey teams, silicon valley billionaires, history of greatest lawyers in US, role of IQ, Importance of upbringing etc.

6) Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

This book is another gem by the gladwell. Even though books teaches nothing, it talks about the power of intuition and split second decisions/judgements. Examples related to what goes behind the American Music Industry was very interesting read.

7) The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

It is a very difficult and boring book to read and understand. Nonethless, anyone whom I have recommended this book had only positive things to say about it. This book is spiritual but not religious. The book explains about our mind, thoughts and the power of having presence of mind. Reading this book, in one way, restored my sanity during my difficult time few years back. Very very good book to read.

8) 10x Rule by Grant Cardone

This book is exact opposite of Slight Edge. It talks about big results, big actions and big thoughts. It talks about power of work ethic, talks about viewing success as ethical issue rather than a choice, talks about importance of keep going forward etc.

This book is more aimed towards "sales" field than typical general self-help category.

IMO Grant Cardone's energetic voice is the reason why I prefer audio book of this. Physical copy or ebook are just little boring.

9) Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

I think enough explanation was given about this above.

10) Mastery by Robert Greene

This is a must read book because it clearly explains different things which contribute to success like having passion/purpose, importance of learning/apprenticeship, role of mentors, social skills, competence etc.

I would like to add more recommendations later.

15. Thank you so much for this! I actually made a list of books I want to read and all 10 of these are on my list, but the main problem is that there is no translated version in my language... I probably could understand it in English, but right now I am focusing on books that my local library have. I also want to take break from self-help books now and than and read some classics instead. I'm reading "The Brothers Karamazov" by Dostoyevsky right now.

16. DBN1234

DBN1234 Fapstronaut

I am currently reading : Algorithms to live by: The computer science of human decisions. It is an interesting book that discusses common problems we face and how computer science has provided reasonable solutions for them. I guess it appeals to me because I am a computer scientist ha ha. The problems looked at are common things like when to stop searching for a job applicant, how to sort and organize books and paperwork and scheduling tasks. Its problems we can all relate to and interesting to read the scientific solutions and gives you insight into many angles that I definitely didn't think of.

17. junglostb25

junglostb25 New Fapstronaut

I hardly ever read books. For most people they read within a week. That's not me. But I wish I was into reading. Every time I read a book I will read one chapter and stop and wait a few days to read another one. I'm that slow.

18. I'm a slow reader too :) no shame in that game! You can savor it longer.

19. It's okay, still better than not reading at all. You will get better with time.

Woodcutter74 likes this.
  20. oneaffidavit

oneaffidavit Fapstronaut

Guys, need some book recommendations on social skills?