1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't get the warrant for video game remasters

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Since the 8th gaming generation started, gamers are still begging/wishing/hoping for more remastered games of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 era (previous generation) they have already owned & played. Gamers nowadays are obsessed with remastered X360/PS3 games and I have no idea why but a waste of money and time. What's so new about them? They are just remasters with updated visuals so what's the point? Graphic is the most-least important aspect of video games and that doesn't make a video game from the previous generation anything new or better. These aren't exactly what I wanted. You have already owned & played those games on Xbox 360 or/and Playstation 3 and stop buying them!

That's being said, resolution isn't everything in video games.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. ShotDunyun

ShotDunyun Fapstronaut

It's weird. Dead Space 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time and I first played them on Xbox 360. I recently bought both on Steam and played them again on 2k/75 frames per second. I know that it doesnt count as a Remaster but the principle is the same, if you want to re visit a game, why not play an enhanced version of it?
    But I also get your point, I bought Dead Space on Steam for like 2 bucks, there is no way I'll buy the same game for 60 dollars

Taylor25 likes this.
  3. newattitudeky

newattitudeky Fapstronaut

I think it sometimes is an excuse to revisit a game. I rarely replay games, but I will play a remaster of a game I really enjoyed before. It makes it seem like a new experience in a way even though it really isn’t it.

Taylor25 likes this.
  4. Playing video games on the updated PC is perfectly fine and I always accept that. And yes, it's not remastered so I agree with your statement. Buying the same games from the previous generation for 40-60 bucks is just mind-blogging.

ShotDunyun likes this.
  5. I do like to replay video games when I want to revisit it on the original version for the story like I did with the Halo series before started playing Halo 5. I hate nostalgia but replaying the games is quite fun.

6. LEPAGE

LEPAGE Fapstronaut

I usually hate redo' s, but I must say that I was very appreciative of Tomb Raider Aniversary, the remake of the original Tomb Raider. Graphics and controls much improved. Basically better in every way.

Taylor25 and ShotDunyun like this.
  7. Some remasters, like Dark Souls 2's, change the enemy layout of the game and add new content. Remasters also don't usually just change the graphics, they can also make the game more stable than its previous version.

Seeing it with new visuals is just icing on the cake. I concur that graphics aren't everything, hell, one of my favorite games is from 2004, but it almost gives the game a "new" feeling for me.

ShotDunyun likes this.
  8. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

*Incoming triggered graphics snobs*

Sometimes remasters are appealing. Skyrim special edition gave us console mods. I don't remember metro 2033 and I never played any dlcs for last light. Same thing for Bioshock.

9. Because why not? It's not just about visuals and for me rather the nostalgia, I can't play the ps3 because of all crashing and constant problems, plus when they're ported to the ps4 the blurriness is gone and it's more crisp.

Not to mention they don't need to be new, most of the older generation of games are more fun than the stuff out now. Either way folks like me buy them because we enjoyed and appreciate the older games, there's a ton of them I would happily buy again for a remastered version.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  10. Gotham Outlaw

Playing a remastered game is more appealing than playing most new games. So many games a plagued with micro transactions and/or bad writing. Just typing this now makes me want to play metro redux.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. iRebootMyself

iRebootMyself Fapstronaut

Remasters and Remakes collections are definitely the best way to introduce new fans to a franchise before releasing a new game of that franchise.
    I love playing remakes and remasters for nostalgia even if I played them on older platforms, but you know, nostalgia.
    I'm dying for Final Fantasy VII Remake, gimme that game right now and i swear i will stop relapsing LOL.

12. I don't see it either. I understand enjoying older games as the next gen has been pretty much shit so far. I can't in good conscience pay the next gen premium to play some old game that didnt cost much production wise.

13. Gotham Outlaw

If it's a single game it shouldn't be $60. Most of the ones I've seen have 2 or 3 games in them plus all their dlcs. If it's a bundle of games I didn't play plus all the dlcs it makes more sense to buy that than buy the older games and then all their dlcs.

14. I don't consider all that old shit they throw in an added value when all I want is an old ass game at somewhat of a reasonable price. " I just charged this asshole $59.99 for a game we developed in 2001 and all we had to do was turn some settings up and switch out some textures." To me it almost signifies that they realize what a shit deal they're giving you. No one feels compelled to throw in a bunch of free old shit when they're giving you a fair price.

Taylor25 likes this.
  15. Charging a remastered version of 5-10 years old game for 50-60 bucks is a total ripoff! A PS3/X360 game that is over 5 years old shouldn't be charged for a high price at all, which is ridiculous. Look at the remastered God of War 3, for fuck's sake!!!

LEPAGE and Deleted Account like this.
  16. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze used to be released for Nintendo Wii U and they're re-releasing the game again for 60 bucks. This is exactly why remastered games need to stop and selling them at the high, reasonable price.

17. The Dark Souls game just got remastered for PS4? Does this mean it's for people who have never experienced the game on either Playstation 3 or Xbox 360? Can it stop already?

18. It's for people who enjoyed it on the last generation or new to the series, nobody is literally forcing you to buy it, I don't get why that is so upsetting to rant about. I'm glad they're reviving older stuff as younger people are able to enjoy it, or even if they want that same experience again but on a newer console.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  19. Gotham Outlaw

Exactly. My cousin is only 14 and he missed out on some really great games. With remastered bundles he can see what made those games so great. Maybe he'll finally realize he can play something other than GTA online.

20. Honestly the more the merrier, there's a lot of great games on the Ps2 and even Ps3 so to have more variety and choice would be brilliant. It's also not so much the nostalgia factor either, I hate having to dig out my old Ps3 and watch it constantly freeze. lol