1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

We’re building a house. Should we go for size or land?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by RecoveringLion, Apr 20, 2018.

What option would you choose?

1. Larger house in the suburbs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Smaller but excellent quality house on land

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. RecoveringLion

RecoveringLion Fapstronaut

My wife and I are going to build a house. For the same price, we can get a big beautiful home with curb appeal and lots of space and luxury, or we can get a smaller but quality home on about 10 acres of land, possibly a pole barn and a 4 wheeler.

My wife and I are torn. Big positive and negatives of either.

What would you do in my situation?
    No stupid answers like “I would renovate” or “your wasting your money blah blah I’m an elitest”

2. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

I have no home buying experience, but I would say you should go for the land, especially if you're planning on having some kids. 10 acres is enough to do a lot with if you are interested in the whole garden and small livestock thing. The most important thing, I think, is that you have room to grow as much as you want to. Will the house on the bigger piece of land be big enough to meet your goals as far as family size and lifestyle go?

RecoveringLion likes this.
  3. RecoveringLion

Yes it will, but not by much. We want 2 kiddos and it’s a 4BR. We’re going to build a pole barn eventually and finish part of the interior For our home offices. It will be a little cramped but doable.

4. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

You can build a lot more memories with a house that has bigger land than you can with a fancy house with smaller land. I think you guys will appreciate the space much more over time. Buying something fancy is exciting for the first couple of weeks but it'll eventually fade.

5. RecoveringFapaholic

RecoveringFapaholic Fapstronaut

Definitely the second option. You can do a lot more with the land than you can with a big house. Maybe you'll want to start gardening, get a pool, work on cars, own a trailer or RV, or raise chickens someday. The kids could have plenty of room to play outside. Many large suburban houses have limited yard space.

6. It depends entirely on so many factors. Do you have/or plan to have kids, what the area is like around you, job location, etc. Kinda a weird question to ask

7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Have more land, and instead either put something cool there, like a lake running on recycling water or some other refuge area. It’s more appeal than a bigger house imo.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Like a bunch of others have said...go for the land, get a house big enough for your size family, but err towards land after that. Houses fill up with junk and material thinga you dont really need.

MLMVSS likes this.
  9. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

If you got the land, would that not mean you had the space to extend the house in the future if you needed to?

10. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Land is incredibly more useful for many reasons stated. For one I am looking to that for permaculture and self-sustaining practices for the rest of my life.

Quickly I will put some points out there as I have professional experience in this: property tax in your area, how mortgages will work and cost, and other housing costs in general

By in general I mean, maintenance or if housing insurance is necessary where you live and a big house means more “things” to fill it.

Regardless, a small house on a lot of land will also take maintence but not the same kind as a larger one. This will most likely pertain to your preference.

Finally, congratulations on even looking to do such a thing.

11. RecoveringLion

Definitely planning on kids. I work remotely so location is not an issue!

12. I would highly recommend watching the documentary "minimalism." Don't worry, I'm not trying to convert you or anything. :p lol but it really is eye opening to think about how much or our house space we actually need and want and use. I think you could be plenty happy with a smaller house that is higher quality and on some land. Just make sure to spend some time really thinking about your priorities and what you actually will use, rather than just what people say you should have. That's the most awesome part about building your own place, in my opinion. You can tailor everything to what you want, rather than what is just typical. For example, I pretty much never set foot in my master bedroom except to sleep or grab some clothes. So if I ever built a house, I would not waste time and money and space making some huge master suite. I would rather put that effort into a bigger living space. Perhaps your answr is different, but that's the awesome thing about doing it yourself. :)

Good luck! Sounds like an awesome journey. I would love to build my own place someday

13. Lord of the Ocean

Lord of the Ocean Fapstronaut

14. RecoveringLion

Thanks! Yeah it’s super easy to get caught up in the materialism and glamor of the big house. My wife and I decided today to go with the smaller good quality home on some land. We love the outdoors and don’t want to raise our future kids on screens, but want them outside as much as possible.

15. RecoveringLion

Yes we certainly could. We also talked about build and partly finishing a pole barn for our offices since we would both be working remotely. So we can have our work still be separate from our home in a sense.

16. RecoveringLion

Thanks! Where we are looking the cost of land is high but the taxes are a joke (in a good way) so long term land ownership pays off big time in terms of value.