1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety/Panic Withdrawal Thread

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SteveMquaid, Apr 16, 2018.

1. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Hello @Inkpot I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with anxiety. And for so long without relief! Speaking only from my personal experience, it sounds more like a case of generalized anxiety disorder. Basically, that's anxiety that just won't go away. There are several ways of treating it. I'm not familiar with the ones that HopeFaith shared. For me, I had to seek medical assistance as they were so bad, the attacks were making day-to-day life unbearable. I have a history of this disorder, though, so my current treatment is different than prior treatment. In the past, it was a Klonopin prescription until the attacks went away. This time, it is a medication protocol I will take for the rest of my life as the disorder kept returning with more frequency than before. Part of this treatment is still Klonopin to help "bridge" the time between current suffering and the new protocol starting to work. The new protocol is working now, so I'm almost done weaning off of the Klonopin (you CANNOT stop that drug cold turkey). Meditation helps me, too, but wasn't enough on its own. Every individual is different, of course, and you must pick the treatment that works best for you. I would urge you to do something soon, though, as I understand the suffering you're experiencing and it can really wear you down after a while. Left to itself without some sort of treatment, at least in my experience, it only gets worse. At its worst for me, I was suicidal. Please don't let it get that far! You're in the right place for good support, which also helps.

Be well and please keep us posted!

2. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

http://khironhouse.com/treatment/symptoms-of-trauma/

Please don’t buy into the concept of you needing to be on meds for ever. This is a disconnected life form who you truly are. Instead you can heal and live your life meds free. As you were met to live it.

Trauma causes the range of symptoms and anxiety or panic attacks are one of them. If you stay on meds you will live your life disconnected from who you truly are. But if you follow the trauma healing, you can learn how to be stable and happy when you are off medication.

Please read The body keeps the score by Basel van der Kolk. This is the book that saved my life. I came off my meeds, overcame my trama and now I am better than I have ever been before.
    Don’t give up on yourself and don’t buy to the mistaken beliefs that you need to be on meds forever. Because you don’t have to. You can heal completely.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Thank you for sharing @HopeFaith I appreciate the information and your perspective. I would like to say that calling a life on meds "wasted" is somewhat unkind, though. My conditions are very long term and very serious and, for me (I can only ever speak to my own experiences), the meds are necessary. Without them, I would have killed myself years ago (I'm 50 and have had mental health issues for half my life). Many people try alternative therapies, and for some, they are successful. For some of us, they are less effective. I really do appreciate your perspective, I just want to share that all perspectives are valid, as long as those suffering seek some form of treatment to end the suffering. Have a wonderful day!

tiredofbeingtired likes this.
  4. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

Yes, I agree with you. Sadly you read my post before I edited it. It is not wasted, it is disconnected. I used the wrong words and edited it but you got to it before I did.

P-Free likes this.
  5. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Got it! Thank you for the clarification. :)

6. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

I had life long issues : eating disorder, OCB, bipolar, anxiety, addiction, panic attacks, PTSD.... infant I had everything on that list. At my worst I was unable to do anything apart from work, go home and hide in my bed for 2 years. For 1 year I was off sick unable to work. At one point I was on 3 types of meds: anti depression, anti anxiety mood stabiliser and sleeping pills....

I know all trauma cases are very severe. But it is up to you. You can follow on that lead and investigate this concept or you can reject it as alternative healing and stay as you are.

But for your info this is not alternative method. Trauma clinics are making billions around the world healing people. This is just one of them. Can you imagine that? Being healed and free of meds? For me that thought was inresistable so I followed on that lead.

Just sleep on those ideas and take time reading around. It takes time to fully grasp the concept of trauma but once you do maybe one day you would decide that you are worth healing too.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    P-Free likes this.
  7. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I do appreciate your perspective, @HopeFaith honestly, I do. I have no objection to alternative healing. In fact, I use various alternative modalities to manage other health conditions. However, for me, a Western medical approach is the only thing that has worked for my mental health issues. I have tried other, med-free options (including non-alternative medicine) with no success (and lots of money spent). The mere fact that such clinics are making billions of dollars doesn't necessarily mean their treatment is effective for everyone.

Finally, I would like to say that, while I appreciate your perspective, I do not appreciate your comment on me deciding I'm worth healing, too. Simply because my chosen method of treatment is not one with which you agree, does not mean that I feel unworthy of being healthy, nor does it mean my choice is invalid. I'm very happy for you that your chosen path has been and continues to be so successful for you. May it always be so. I would appreciate it if you would stop trying to convince me that it is the only option for me too, though.

My intent with my answer to @Inkpot was to share *my* journey in the hopes that it might help as one of many options available, as, I imagine, was your reason for doing the same. I never intended to imply that mine is the *only* way. At this point, I think the healthiest thing for me is not to continue to engage in this conversation. If @Inkpot wants to respond, I'll reply, but our conversation is no longer helpful to me or my peace of mind. Thank you for respecting that and have a great day.

tiredofbeingtired and HopeFaith like this.
  8. Inkpot

Inkpot Fapstronaut

Thanks @HopeFaith and @P-Free for sharing your experiences and suggesting solutions.

I am 17 and having these problems:(. I was completely fine before 2018.

To know more about my problem and history you can read my posts below. It will waste your time, so read these in your free time (only if you want).

https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?posts/1391041/
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-update.165647/
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?posts/1420787/
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?posts/1460409/

HopeFaith and P-Free like this.
  9. Inkpot

Inkpot Fapstronaut

I am also planning to read a book on panic attacks/trauma. This book seems to be of high level for me and is quite complex. I think I need to have Biology knowledge to completely understand it(I am a Mathematics student).

HopeFaith and P-Free like this.
  10. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

You're welcome, @Inkpot I hope you find relief.

HopeFaith likes this.
  11. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

The book is very easy read. Once you start you will just go with the flow and everything will make sense. So enjoy. You are lucky you are 17. If u heal ur trama now your life will be unaffected by it and you would gain new insights. This book is literally life changing.

12. SteveMquaid

SteveMquaid Fapstronaut

I’m looking to keep this thread alive. Through many trials and error I am back with NoFap. I went months indulging in pmo but I’m working on getting back on track I went on about a 30 day streak and relapsed but I am back. The anxiety and brain fog still lingers.

13. jwitcher

jwitcher Fapstronaut

You'll do better, because you have to kill PMO with fire :D

14. BigOne79

BigOne79 Fapstronaut

I’m at 62 days but there is still insomnia of waking too early in the morning. I think meditation for anxiety will be the only thing that helps. Last night I actually slept almost seven hours after getting a full body massage. Body might be too tight from all the working out and yoga. I think maybe relaxing a few days helps as well.. How have you been sleeping..?? When I get up early the anxiety starts because I just want to be able to sleep soundly again.

15. I’m currently reading “the body keeps the score” again
    I read about a year ago whilst still pmo’ing so I didn’t really take it all in
    This time around it’s literally amazing me
    I’ve been diagnosed so many things through my life
    Adhd, bipolar, skitzophrenic
    I’m 100% sure I just had symptoms of those under the ptsd umbrella
    I totally have ptsd, well cptsd to be exact
    And my dopamine addiction was to numb it
    I’m going through a horrific withdrawal
    Anxiety is awful
    I’m currently looking for a good therapist that works the same way as Bessel van dear volk

hsb0617 likes this.
  16. The withdrawals blow. 15 months and still having them. Not as bad as the beginning but shit, enough to keep me up at night, involuntary twitching and a few more.

17. Daveboon

Daveboon Fapstronaut

Have you tried having sex during your reboot Big Lebowski? If so, how did you go mate?

18. Yea I’ve had sex multiple times, last attempt was with a little blue pill and it kept me at 60/70%. I am getting better, I just can’t stress how slow this process is. And the nature of the up and down symptoms. One day you will feel fine next you have twitches and brain fog etc.

19. Daveboon

Daveboon Fapstronaut

How'd you go the times without using the pill mate? Any update with your morning wood?

Wish you only the best

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  20. I’m glad you’re getting better, however slow man