1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What Can I Do About That Annoying Thing Known As Procrastination?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Moon Shot, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

I would like to hear the experience of people that struggle with this, and what tactics have they used to overcome it.

Thank you

2. Max Toulouse

Max Toulouse Fapstronaut

Procrastinate procrastination.

It’s about taking action my fellow man.

Everyone experiences the thoughts and temptations to sit back, relax and become complacent.

You must have the discipline to say no to these temptations. You have to know why you’re saying no and it needs to be a reason that’s so powerful that it gives you no choice but to say no.

Cultivate discipline and ignore the whispers that are telling you it’s okay to relax. Get up, and get working.

Deleted Account, Birdie and Moon Shot like this.
  3. For me mindfulness meditation has helped with it tremendously. Nothing else even stands close.

Deleted Account and Moon Shot like this.
  4. Ever heard of "MAN UP"?

Birdie likes this.
  5. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

'Procrastinate Procrastination.' Nice. Will do. :)

Thanks, man, I appreciate the advise. Please feel free to guide me on how to meditate mindfully. Basic instructions... anything. :)

-_- Yeah, I'm familiar with the term. Just not good at doing it.

Thank you @Roady. This really helped... I'll try and reflect as you've said.

Are there any other tactics anyone wants to share? I've heard of the Pomodoro Technique, but it's not really working for me. :/
    I'm open to any plausible suggestion. :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Moon Shot likes this.
  7. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

8. Give it some time. Exercise patience, and keep up with meditation and daily activities such as exercise and work. Eat healthy and no sugar. Keep away from PMO. After about a week to two weeks, it should start to fade, which is what I say from experience. By 3 weeks of reboot, your state should definitely have changed some.

You'll find yourself taking the initiative on lots more things, and living in the present. Remember, always live in the present, and keep telling yourself to do so. Don't get lost in thoughts, or philosophy, or questions that lead nowhere, or plans that get increasingly elaborate. These are all roads that are pointless to go down, because they lead nowhere. This may be a bit of a strong statement, but that's what I say from experience. It's all about your hormones. ;)

9. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Thanks so much, Hope! I appreciate all you've said, and I'll do my best and follow it. You're right, pointless thoughts get me nowhere :(. I will fight it! Thank you! :D

10. You do that. And even more than just checking it out do actually try it out. Practice an hour or two of daily meditation consistently for few months. As well as consistent mindfulness practice supplemented with it, as shown in a Ted Talk video I spam all over new members forum section.

Once you train your brain to stay in a present moment and introduce space between thoughts to be able to observe them consciously, you can then stop being controlled by them. Which is why procrastination happens - your mind is not in present and it is not looking objectively at your thoughts, instead it is somewhere in futureland thinking about all the boredom of doing what you need to do and getting caught up in those thoughts.

Also meditation actually make parts of your brain that are responsible for rational thinking, emotion control, will power, concentration and disciple to physically grow bigger and become thicker as they become stronger! Look it up, some fascinating stuff.

Moon Shot likes this.
  11. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Heh, I laughed a bit. I will, dude. Thank you. :)

LOL XD

12. Highly HIGHLY recommend the book eat that frog by Brian Tracy. Its a quick simple easy read. get the instant kindle off amazon if you have an iPad just download the app.I have the physical book and im glad I did because my kids will read this one day.

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-That-Frog-Great-Procrastinating-ebook/dp/B001AFF25W

There are 21 one methods and its a 124 page book. Im going to get it out now and find a few methods to refresh my memory. I probably should get off this forum too, okay, bye.

13. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Thanks. I have heard of this book, and I'll check it out. Much appreciated. :)