1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Lift?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Nightbynight

Nightbynight Fapstronaut

Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Lift?

A question I love. If he can create it he is not god. If he can't create it he is not god.
    I believe God can create a trillion rocks he can not lift.. and then hold them all at once. I believe God is the paradox, the impossible, the infinite.
    The question of this thread is not do you think god can lift an unliftable rock but rather, is god evil..? And guessing peoples most obvious answers, why not?
    Did god not create all time and space? Does he not have infinite power? Can he not see past and present? Did he not create the devil despite this. And if you do not believe in the devil did he not create the ability of evil knowing it would be done?
    More than anything I would like to hear how others feel and think about this, what is your idea of god? Can he create an unliftable rock? Can he lift it?
    Is he evil? why not?

2. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

It’s deliberately self-contradictory and designed to have no correct “yes” or “no” answer. Thus the question is as invalid as a Yu-Gi-Oh card in a poker game.

God can do all things logically possible.

It’s not a deficiency that God can’t create that rock or make a square circle or a married bachelor. Those are logically incoherent ideas.
    It’s like asking what color sound is.
    No, God can’t create that rock and there’s nothing wrong with that.
    If you want to say God defies the laws of logic, you are okay with saying God can sin, because that is the implication. If the laws of logic don’t “apply” to God, then He can be both holy and sinful simultaneously and can both exist and not exist simultaneously.
    It’s nonsense.

God is truth, and truth cannot violate itself. That is what we call a contradiction. Adding a positive and negative number of the same absolute value will always equal zero because they cancel each other out. It doesn't exist. It's not a "thing" someone can do. It's nothing (no thing). And, as the Scriptures tell us, nothing is impossible with God. God can do all things, not all nothings.

God is purposeful and doesn't create without purpose. The creation of such a thing would have no purpose and will therefore not be created.

Same with the question of, "can God make a four-sided triangle"?

It is non-sensical. He also cannot lie. He is a law unto himself and cannot violate his own standard because he is holy.

God, creator of space, time, and matter exists outside of every limitation of space, time, and matter and therefore this question is irrelevant. It assumes a God subject to things like gravity. He transcends the weight of every boulder.

3. tl;dr he can but he won't lmao ez

4. Nightbynight

Nightbynight Fapstronaut

I dont belive god to be confined to "correct yes or no" answers. I thinks it's presumptuous on our behalf to think god can not do something because we can't fit our minds around it. Especialy when he's limitless. Its only difficult if you see only the duality of this universe. Why can't god be paradoxical? Because our brains are designed within the rules of this universe to understand this universes rules. We can't bare to admit we cant comprehend true god? How can one say god is god unless he is infinite in every way? How can we say god is outside the limits of time and space yet describe him. That is truly nonsensical.
    Ilogical thinking is how things progress, later it is deemed "logical". "Yugio poker" could well be the new game to play.
    Is it nonsensical because it doesn't make sense to YOU? What if it makes sense to god? Is it nonsensicle because its incorrect to our limited views. How much of the universe do we understand compared to that which we don't? Is light a wave or a particle? Both? Niether? It depends? And yet god can not both lift and not lift? Wait we KNOW he can't yet we still dont know if schrodingers damn cat is alive or dead!?

How far will logic take you? Illogical methods work rather well in the realm of quantum mechanics.

Have you ever heard of synesthesia?

We can see sound if our brains are wired to do so.. which is my whole point we are only capable of extremely limited perspectives of this universe, why would we asume to know god? Let alone understand his capabilities.
    We only see what is required for us to see to survive. We can not see wifi or radio signals with the naked eye yet instruments can detect them. Why are we placing our limits on god? Seeing sounds as colour is intirely possible we just aren't wired to do it.

Things may well be illogical to US but If god is all powerful then he can make them be. Especially if you're a man of the bible. Is resurrection logical? Walking on water? Angels? Satan? What about the entire universe growing from a point smaller than an atom?

If god is limitless ofcourse he can defy anything. It's also a contradiction to think otherwise as he wouldn't be limitless if he couldn't, by your logic. Infact he created the very logic you are reasoning with yet you think him bound by it? I find that Ironic. I admit I know nothing of god but believe him to be infinite, and seen as how we can not comprehend infinity I believe I know only up to the limits of a human perspective. Basicly so close to nothing it may as well be so.
    Why must he fit within the laws of logic? for what reason exactly? So you can fit him in your mind.
    The contradiction Is that you say god is outside those limitations. To be outside a limitation is to be limitless in that respect, to be limitless is to be infinite and the human mind is literally incapable of imagining actual infinity, as the mind is finite and so cannot contain an infinity. So how then could you possibly describe god in any way? Can your mind think outside the limits of time and space to observe him? Please let your local science lab know, or church for that matter.

He cannot sin he cannot lie. Yet he created both. What existed before all things?
    God. If that is the case he created the universe either from nothing or from himself.
    If the former is true he can cirtainly do all "nothings". If the latter is true all we do, all we are comes from him as we/everything is him, including evil.

I am not saying god IS evil to think so would miss the whole point of him being limitless. Limitless is truly incomprehensible. The same way the laws of physics break down at a quantum level, the same way the concept of evil breaks down within the vastness of infinity. To even mention it would be inconcievably pointless.
    If all things are truly god then evil is only percieved from the human perspective. But moving to a perspective of all, of god, we see there is no evil from his point of view. For if all things are him then he is merely experiencing himself.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. In the strict sense, the answer is yes because all statements about the empty set are true. And don't forget about political correctness. Refer to God as They or She, not He.

Nightbynight likes this.
  6. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

At least you know what a rock is... right ?

Well, God is the rock.

It's from the scriptures, take a look:

:emoji_arrow_right:"The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner." -Psalm 118:22
    PROPHECY: the Pharisees (religious authorities) who refused their Messiah, clinging to their old traditions and pride, who crucified Jesus, unknowingly realized the prophecy of God who redeems men eternally from all their sins (past-present-future) by His own blood through their faith in His bloody finished work at the cross and so begins His own Church (believers worldwide). Because without the shading of blood there is no remission of sins, and God redeemed the Church eternally with His own blood, as it is also written. And salvation happens once and for all, only by faith in that same propitiation (the act of appeasing wrath) that God Himself did, not by our works lest any man should boast, as it is written as well, for us today in our current dispensation (the good news of God's GRACE given to our Apostle Paul in his epistle) before the Rapture of the Church (soon).
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof." -Matthew 21:42-43
    Jesus talking to the Pharisees, before the crucifixion.
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy." -1 Peter 2:7-10
    Peter is talking here. Basically, no need to be Jewish anymore to be elected, because now has come the saving FAITH.
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." -Acts 4:8-12
    Peter continues to affirm that the rock on which the Church is built is Jesus Christ and not him (despite what the Catholics think).
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Sanctify the Lord of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem." -Isaiah 8:13-14
    Prophet Isaiah announced that Jesus Christ is God who founded the Church.
    :emoji_arrow_right:"What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed." -Romans 9:30-33
    Our Apostle Paul.
    :emoji_arrow_right:"And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure." -Daniel 2:44-45
    Prophet Daniel announced Christ as well.
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness." -1 Corinthians 10:1-5
    Our Apostle Paul again.

Now think about it...

:emoji_arrow_right:"I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee." -Isaiah 44:22
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood." -Acts 20:28
    :emoji_arrow_right:"Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." -Galatians 3:21-26
    :emoji_arrow_right:"For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" -Hebrews 9:13-14
    :emoji_arrow_right:"And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin." -Hebrews 10:11-18
    :emoji_arrow_right:"But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." -Romans 3:21-26

Jesus Christ is the Rock, the foundation of the Church...

:emoji_arrow_right:"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." -John 8:58
    :emoji_arrow_right:"And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you." -Exodus 3:14

Jesus Christ is God...

:emoji_arrow_right:"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." -2 Corinthiens 5:17-21

When He hung on that cross and shed His blood, God made the "rock" to be 'lifted' not by Himself directly but by our sins, the sins of the whole world, since HE PAID IT ALL for us.
    Thus, at that particular time God made a Rock that He somehow lifted without His own direct intervention...

How about that ?

:emoji_arrow_right:"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." -Proverbs 3:5
    :emoji_arrow_right:"And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." -1 Thessalonians 5:23

God bless you.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  7. Fightyourlowerself

Fightyourlowerself Fapstronaut

"Can God create a rock He can not lift?"

The answer to this is that the question is a logical fallacy i.e. the concept itself it not logically possible so this question is flawed.

You may also come across variants of this question such as "can god put a camal through the eyes of a needle" which are of the same type.