1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent Fasting, forever

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Sayonara, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Sayonara

Sayonara Fapstronaut

Hi guys, I'm just about 30 days into NoFap and I just wanted to share something that I started doing at the beginning of this year that has given me lots of positive effects and I think given me the tools to sustain NoFap - intermittent fasting (IF), daily, forever.

Since I started IF, my energy levels have increased, I'm more alert, slender and I'm not watching what I eat as much. My friend does it too and says his IBS has literally disappeared!

Here's the low-down - it's so simple.
    You fast (don't eat) every day for 16+ hours and then eat during the remaining 8 hours, usually 2 big meals. That means you could eat between midday and 8pm, or 2pm and 10pm, or anywhere inbetween or beyond that.

When I first heard about it, I was so against it, as most people are.
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!"
    "I could NOT survive until lunchtime without food!"
    (Remind you of anything? "Masturbation is important to keep everything working", "I could NOT give up masturbation!")

The first day of IF I was very hungry, I even felt a little dizzy. The dizziness I felt was because my body was expecting a sugar hit and it didn't get one. Luckily your body is naturally capable of breaking down fats in your body to provide the energy needed. I made it through the morning and I ate lots at lunch time, and then lots at dinner.
    The second day I was hungry again, and again I ate lots of lunch. From then on, my cravings went down and I stabilised, no dizziness.
    Now I literally don't think about food until 2pm, sometimes I have to remind myself to eat. I've learned what my body really needs, not what cereal companies have made us believe we need.

This isn't a diet, it's a way of life. It's also not about calorie reduction, so make sure you eat lots at lunch and dinner. If you reduce your calorie intake too much (like a diet would) eventually you will break and start snacking in the mornings. This is Intermittent Fasting, forever, not just until you hit a goal weight.

If you're interested in the science side, there's tons of reading to browse through about insulin levels, hunger hormones and the benefits of being in the fasted state.

Happy to talk more about my experiences and hear yours too!

Stragler, ultrafabber, sephhh and 4 others like this.
  2. Anti-ordinary

Anti-ordinary Fapstronaut

Wow nice to see someone else on IF! By any chance did you learn this from Kinobody?

Sayonara likes this.
  3. Sayonara

Sayonara Fapstronaut

No I didn't, but I'll check him out - any good?
    I first heard about it via @max.lowery on instagram

4. lucentio

lucentio Fapstronaut

Glad it works for you. I think it may be of benefit to some, but it is not for everyone. For example it could cause blood sugar problems for people with diabetes. I got into fasting a couple of years ago. The first month I tried it I actually gained weight because I would gorge myself when I came off a fast. Eventually I settled down and fasted twice a week: Sunday dinner until Monday dinner and Thursday dinner until Saturday breakfast. I allowed myself to drink just about whatever I wanted and also occasionally ate fruit. I found that it gave my body a rest from digesting food and also saved me time.
    As a Catholic I usually do this during Lenten Season. YMMV

Sayonara likes this.
  5. Sayonara

Sayonara Fapstronaut

Hi @lucentio, good additions to the post! I wouldn't advise anyone with diabetes or any nutritional health issue to start fasting without talking to their doctor first.

I drink water all the time - I don't consider water as breaking my fast. It's all about not kick-starting my metabolism with any calories. I often find that hunger is actually just thirst.

Great that you've found a rhythm of fasting that works for you. I prefer doing it every day and it's just become part of my life and isn't something I think about any more. I didn't start IF to lose weight so unfortunately I can't remember if I gained weight like you or not, but I've definitely slimmed down over a longer period of time.

lucentio likes this.
  6. STAR DUST

STAR DUST Fapstronaut

Good Posg

7. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

Wow.. I've been doing IF.. and never even knew it 'was a thing'..
    (given i don't drink milk, or eat much bread, skipping breakfast for me was a no brainer..)
    Cheers for this bud

8. Anti-ordinary

@sayonaraPMO Kinobody is a fitness enthusiast who strongly promotes Intermittent Fasting, if any of you guys/girls want to get into working out I strongly recommend him. He teaches different methods and styles to training and working out than the bodybuilding world that is out there. The best thing is his programs actually work!

Sayonara likes this.
  9. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

IF definitely is great and recommended for working out (and health in general), although I personally don’t do it every day (I do it during the 4 days I work per week, to be honest, although this is only my personal experience). Studies shown that IF helps with producing HGH and does better at muscle repair, while frequent eating helps with T production and more opportunity for muscle growth, and both are obviously important for men in fitness.

Sayonara likes this.
  10. Yalmo

Yalmo New Fapstronaut

I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I can definitely tell when I don't get enough calories because the next day I'm super hungry. I've been taking protein shakes and cramming meals in when I can. I've been averaging around 13 hours for my fast, but I'd like to get it up to 15 this week. How do you prep your meals? How has it felt with working out?

Sayonara likes this.
  11. Anti-ordinary

@Yalmo Whats very important about Intermittent Fasting is that you have to have a big meal soon enough before going to bed. Be careful not to close to your bed time though. I would say maybe 3-4 hours before bed time. By having a big meal before bed time you will wake up full, if you are a little hungry drink some coffee an hour or two after waking up. Coffee is great at reducing your appetite and also gives you a good energy boost for the upcoming day. In terms of prepping meals:I don't prep them. I make them on the day, doesn't take too long, usually less than 20 mins for lunch and less than 20 mins for dinner.In terms of working out: if you work out in the morning, to stay in that fasted state you can take a scoop of BCAAs - this minimises muscle breakdown. If you train later in the day, after lunch, make sure before hand you got a good meal with plenty of carbs and veggies(especially greens) also don't forget protein. This gives you plenty of energy to have a great work out.

Hope this was helpful.

Sayonara and Yalmo like this.
  12. I am planning to not have my breakfast and lunch and to have a light dinner.

13. BuyHIghSellLow

BuyHIghSellLow Fapstronaut

I replaced my food with pure good quality water and I'm feeling better. I slowly drink around 7 liters of good quality water a day.

14. ReadyToStop

ReadyToStop Fapstronaut

I kind of feel like I've been doing this myself for a while. I am one of those people who have never been able to eat breakfast. Some of us have slower digestive systems and the food from the previous day is still in us. My first meal is usually around 11am and I'm done around 7pm. So does that count?

Sayonara and A41:14A like this.
  15. guyinsideout

guyinsideout Fapstronaut

Been a big fan IF for a while now too. I combine it with a ketogenic diet and am also dairy free.

ThePeacocksTale and Sayonara like this.
  16. Anti-ordinary

@ReadyToStop Ha! thats another point to why intermittent fasting isn't all just talk and bs. Your ability to not eat breakfast in the morning is due to this: our ancestors would hunt for food in the morning and feed on it later in the day. They would get no breakfast! About your question: yes that counts as intermittent fasting as you have a 17 hour period when you aren't consuming calories. Anywhere between 14-16 hours of not consuming calories is counted as intermittent fasting.

Sayonara likes this.
  17. Sayonara

Sayonara Fapstronaut

Yeah, I had a bit of trouble with hunger because I wasn't eating enough, and not drinking enough water. I try to drink 1L of water in the morning before breaking fast.

I still struggle with meal prep. If I find the time I'll make a big batch of something on Sunday and that'll last me to mid-week, and then I'll try and find the time to make something else, or I'll buy something daily. It's not something that I've managed to pin down yet - it's a goal!

I love working out fasted, especially swimming - I feel so light and powerful. Again, I have experienced some wooziness when working out when my food intake hasn't been good.

18. Sayonara

Sayonara Fapstronaut

I'm obviously not advocating for people to avoid eating. Fasting shouldn't be about calorie reduction, it's about finding your natural rhythm for eating, which isn't morning, midday and night.

19. Sayonara

Sayonara Fapstronaut

That fasting period is 16 hours so yes that would be great. You should be aiming for 14+ hours. Anything additional is a bonus.

20. ThePeacocksTale

ThePeacocksTale Fapstronaut

Yeah same here guys, I've been playing around with 16 hours, 18 hours and 20 hour fasting windows, with the respective eating windows. For most people 16/8 is perfect for the normal day to day, if you want the fat to literally melt off, use 20/4, and low calorie for 6 days, then cheat day on the 7th then a 24 hours fast the day after your cheat day - I got that from Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha.

It's amazing, how good you feel! The biggest benefit for me was that I could avoid eating addicting junk foods because it was my fast and by the time it was meal time I was home and cooking!

guyinsideout and Sayonara like this.