1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Men and Women Just Be Friends?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 25, 2018.

1. well i know but i want to know opinions of other people.

2. I definitely think so. I think there will often be some physical attraction, but you don't have to act on it. I've had plenty of female friends (including some really close ones) that never became anything more than that even though they were attractive.

3. Certainly they can.
    We are not only slaves of our sex drive.
    On top, I think, every close friendship needs a bit not acted out sexual attraction, too.

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Yes.

Why not?

Not everyone is compatible sexually or fit for dating, but still find value in each other's company.

If someone has the mindset of "I'm not having sex with this person. So it's a complete waste of my time.", then they would be missing out on a lot of potentially great friendships.

5. Yes but it all depends on the individuals mindset

6. Yes and no.I think it depends. I think there will always be a natural physical attraction and possible romantic attraction between men and women, and depending on how strong that attraction is, it will be easier/harder to just focus on the platonic element of the relationship. If a man/woman is friends with someone who is 100% their type physically, then that would make it quite hard to resist the sexual temptation. Same with romantic attraction.

Hitto, Gotham Outlaw, u376 and 2 others like this.
  7. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

If the person is your type sexually / romantically, the solution to that is maturely acting on those desires in the first place. So that the two can either move forward into dating, they can move on to other people, or they can explore a platonic relationship. The people that are in friendships that have a hard time with sexual or romantic attraction are people that don't act on their desires and have hidden intentions. So everything they say or do is an attempt to covertly sway the other person into the agenda of sex / romance.

Zach Lake likes this.
  8. I'm not sure I understand correctly, but I think that would depend on if the relationship started out with the intention of just being friends. If a man and a woman are co-workers for example, they are in a way forced to learn to work with each other and get along with each other. If they realize they are each others type sexually/romantically, then they still might want to keep their relationship platonic. Especially if they already are in a long-term relationship.

9. Yes, but I say that very carefully. I think that there are serious limits to how close of friends you can be and quite a few condintions. It would be kinda weird for me as a married man to head out on a Saturday night to go chill at an unmarried, non relative females house, who is home alone....but even that could be acceptable I suppose if the conditions of personality, history, sexual orientation etc were considered. I don't really know...I guess I would tread lightly and would have to keep myself well in check as far as my motivations were concerned. However, in a couples situation, where the female was unavailable it would be fine to be friends within certain boundaries. Good question - sorry for the rambling : )

10. They can be... But it is quite difficult to be a pure friends only. I have tried many times to be a best friend only but still struggling and again attach emotionally as well as physically.

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  11. Ve
    Very true.. I appreciate your opinion

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

IMO, No. I believe there is no such thing as "just friends" with the opposite sex... And not many people believe in it. How many GFs/wives would be okay if their SO was walking out the door and said "See ya, honey. Jessica and Stephanie wanted to hang out, I'll be back later" lol No one would allow that. The SO would say "I have to be with you" or make sure they are mutual friends of some sort. I would never allow myself to have "female friends" because I would always be tempted to move on them... Men claiming that they are single and have "female friends" are usually just men that have no game with women so they justify it by saying they just want them as friends. lol "friend zone" beta males. No single man is going to go out of his way to be a special kind of friend to a female unless he desired her(secretively or openly). I know NUMEROUS couples(men and women) that had "just friends" and they all ended up cheating with their "friends".

13. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

I wish I could answer this

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  14. Personally, I'm gonna have to dispute that. I've had a lot of close female friends and (at the risk of sounding arrogant) i have my fair share of "game".

15. I think you touched on the deeper reason for friendship. I'm hard pressed to think what would really tempt me to be very close friends with a female. I mean I have enough male friends that satisfy my need for friendship. They challenge, accept, teach, hold me accountable and provide that unidentifiable quality of "brotherhood". Women bring a completely different perspective and insight but...the dynamic is always very different too. Hmmm...Im not sure I completely agree about the gameless beta males - Would she still be able to make you a better person? If you can answer that with a yes I'd say it's worth the added complexity. I wonder what other women think of potential mates (men) who have tons of female friends who are truly just friends? Are they repelled? That might be one reason to limit them if you are a single man looking for a relationship.

Deleted Account likes this.
  16. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

I don't believe it, I don't believe a single man has "close female friends" without having at least some interest in possibly dating one of them. I've seen too many cases where men have said "were just friends" and it turned out to be something more. I've seen too many cases where a couple had "friends" of the opposite sex and ended up cheating. I refuse to keep female friends around(I'm taken) because I know for a fact I would end up trying to have sex with them at some point... Humans are highly sexual creatures. lol You can get plenty of friendship and brotherhood from other men, women bring in a whole other dynamic and it's a slippery slope.

17. I see where you're coming from and it may be true in many cases, but by saying you don't believe it you're basically saying i'm a liar. For me at least, it is true. Yes, there has been some physical attraction in a number of cases, but we never acted on it and they are friendships that i have valued and in some cases still value. That being said i can definitely understand how it could be an issue in a marriage or serious relationship and why a spouse wouldn't appreciate it. Anyway, it sounds like we have to agree to disagree.

18. I have a very Orthodox Jewish friend and I dont even shake hands with his wife. She is very nice and we have all hung out a bunch. There has to be boundaries in every situation and everyone in the situation gets a say. Sounds like you have a good sense of self and what keeps you monogamous. Id rather the friend filter start off or be kept pretty strict. The trade off seems to be possibly missing a valuable friendship or possibly finding yourself in a tempting or uncomfortable situation. I would agree to error on the side of missing a valuable relationship...but that algorithm accounts for my level of loneliness which is low and my need for romance, which is met. For others that part might influence a very different decision.

19. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

Yes, you admit there was physical attraction in many of those cases but you never jumped on the opportunity... That's what I am talking about. It's okay and normal to have "female friends" as a single man because if you desire them so what? You have no obligations to anyone. Often times this is how romantic relationships initially start anyway, it's a simple friendship(maybe at work, etc) and then it turns into much much more and that's okay. But the reason why so many married or dating couples take issue with their SOs seeing "friends" of the opposite sex is because more often times than not, there ends up being some sort of "side interest", their concern is completely justified.

A "female friend" of mine(lol) was dating a man and was "friends" with multiple other men including myself... she had a male "best friend" and she was banging it out with the dude behind the BFs back. lol I'm not denying the fact that you had female friends... I'm simply saying what you already admitted(there's always underlying romantic interest). I've had many female friends as well, "female friends" are almost like a sample variety pack to see which one you like the most. Then once you find the one you like... you can dump the rest because they're no longer of interest or concern and will more than likely sabotage the preferred relationship.

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  20. It's complete nonsense saying men and women can't be friends... Don't take notice of him.