1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can Men and Women Just Be Friends?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Why you are not capable of making freinds?

2. Sorry, i couldn't help it :)

Moon Shot and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Lol, you've got it all wrong, Gollum is my only true friend!

[​IMG]

4. I was going to disagree with your comment but after thinking about it, for the most part I agree with your comment. Men and women are hard wired to be attracted to one another. I think men an women can be friends in some cases but the sexual tension will be there unless its a case where theres no attraction. There are certainly exceptions but after thinking about it, most cases of male female friendship i've seen are all cases of undercover attraction or friend zoned dude being used as a resource.

5. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

Exactly my point, thank you.

6. Because of my autism I guess and the refusal of letting people get close for various reasons, but honestly folks are too different and usually hate or dislike what I do and my personal taste anyways. I haven't found a single one to this day that I would consider a friend in real life, except for my partner as I've know him like forever and we get along (probably because we have almost exactly the same taste and interests in things).

7. Jason_Tesla_19

Jason_Tesla_19 Fapstronaut

Being afraid to let people get close is understandable, as people can hurt you, but people can practice letting themselves be vulnerable in small ways. You need some vulnerability to make friends. If they hate or dislike what you do and your personal taste, that's their loss, and it just means they're closed-minded and low on "openness". You shouldn't have to hide who you are to make friends. You want people to like you for who you are, not who you pretend to be. Have you looked for any meetups, gatherings, or events related to your interests so you can find like-minded people?

8. Oh, that works too lol

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. STAR DUST

STAR DUST Fapstronaut

I’m from Flint

10. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

I've personally found it possible only when one or both of the parties have a significant other, has a different sexual preference, (gay, lesbian) or when there is absolutely no sexual or physical attraction whatsoever.
    Other than that, there are exceptions but it can be very difficult at times, because emotions can go from platonic to romantic when you least expect it.

ClaudeDuval and Deleted Account like this.
  11. That's just it though, I don't hide who I am or what I do when I try to make friends but it bothers people 100%. I've tried for years but folks either used me or weren't willing to look past how I function, and when you have Autism being betrayed or used makes your already defensive shell harden even more. It's honestly not worth the effort or hassle I have to put in only to be disappointed again.

The worst thing is having to choose when you're at say the bank if you should act "normal" like everyone else, or be yourself which can be extremely difficult.

Nah I wouldn't be able to go to any of those and frankly, I think I've gotten to a place where I don't mind having no friends now. I used to be obsessed with the notion that I needed them but now I'm not so sure, I mean I've got my partner and that's really all I need.

Besides, I don't really even know what a friend is in the first place. :p

12. SamFZ

SamFZ Fapstronaut

I hate when this question is asked. Of course they can. Humans can be friends with humans. I have loads of mates who are women and I have no desire to screw any of them.

13. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

Kinda not really.
    You can if your in a big group but when it's just you and her nah.
    Was with some friends the other day and there was 1 girl 6 guys it was actually interesting to see how we acted around her. There was no cringey competition or trying to one up each other like there usually is when its just guys there. It was very interesting though I'm probably explaining it poorly. But anyway if it was just me and the girl or just any one of my mates and her then there is no way they'd just be talking music like we were.

Deleted Account and ClaudeDuval like this.
  14. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

Do you ever just hang out 1-1 though?

15. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

Yep, that's usually how it goes. Lol In a big group its ok sometimes or if it's a female who's a GF/wife of one of your friends... but even then that doesn't stop some people. lol

16. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

Exactly its more of an acquaintance or a mutual friend.

17. Apparently some don’t understand you can still be friends with someone even though you are physically attracted to them; and that a physical attraction doesn’t have the ability to ruin a friendship unless you have zero impulse control or you’re immature.

18. SamFZ

SamFZ Fapstronaut

Yes. Regularly. Mainly two of them. One I get coffee with every two weeks. The other I meet up and play arcade games with in town.

Yes, but also the fact that you don’t have to be attracted to every woman ever? Lol

19. That awkward moment when you are with your friend somewhere and meet someone who asks you: is that your girlfreind? And none of you actually know how to answer it correctly.....the only possibility of friendship between a man and a woman is when they are in a relationship already.

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. Or, like adults, you have a good laugh and say you’re just good friends. Seriously, are you 12 yrs old?

SamFZ and Deleted Account like this.