1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining a Greater Self-Understanding & Awareness

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Contentful T, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

In other words getting to know the roots of our problems and becoming mindful enough to begin fixing them.

I mean it is easy to say if only I had X amount of willpower/self-discipline I would never act out again.

The issue is emotional and psychological in many cases so the key will actually be developing enough understanding to uproot it. If you don't understand no amount of willpower will help you as your will will be directed in the wrong direction.

Please discuss things related to developing a greater understanding of our own minds in this thread and how to increase our awareness in general (self-awareness/mindfulness).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

Reading a book on cognitive behavioral therapy, "Visual CBT" [link].
    Helpful so far. Illustrations get straight to the point.
    Provides 2 ways to change your emotional state: general change or philosophical change.

Contentful T likes this.
  3. McStoa

McStoa Fapstronaut

Carl Rogers 'On becoming a person' is helpful to me.

5-whys-technique is also helpful, with an action or feeling ask yourself 5 whys about that.
    for example: Why do i do this? Why do i feel that? Why does this make me respond in that way?...

Contentful T likes this.
  4. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

How about Mr. Rogers?