1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Any other struggling germaphobes

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by My Best self, Nov 13, 2018.

1. For the last few months my germaphobia has been getting worse I would really like to control it because it is ruining my life if anyone has gone through this please please help, tell me what you did or what you are doing to keep it from ruling you

2. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I do not have germaphobia, but it must be very distressing.

Even if you are not diagnosed with OCD, any techniques suggested to help with that disorder may be good to try.

My Best self likes this.
  3. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

I can be ocd. Like a coffee self service thing. Il throw the top layer of cups away to get to some unexposed ones. Hand sanitizer is always on hand. If I walk through a shop and some coughs or sneezes il avoid them!

@My Best self its everyone else who is weird mate. Not us hahahaha

4. I can relate

5. ClaritySeeker

ClaritySeeker Fapstronaut

It may help to understand your gemaphobia a bit more, please explain it some more. I feel like I'm a bit like this too, so I can relate. I just accept it and overcome it through logic mostly. I'm super scared of STDs, so it helps me avoid them

6. I wash my hands too much I polish off objects that I take out of my room or house when I return I won’t sit on Sertain areas, if I go somewhere I come home and take a shower right after I feel like the germs follow me it’s very annoying but I can’t go to bed without taking a shower and doing my polishing ritual it’s like I fear contamination it’s not that I fear getting sick I just get discusted like when I’m around someone who does not shower some days or smells pretty bad, I do believe I’m afraid of contamination of the germs, It started as me being afraid other people would think I’m dirty or being discusted of me to me being discusted of other people but not everyone only people I’m who don’t really find clean normally I would have seen them do somthing to put me off like how they live like say they leave garbage about or dirty laundry everywhere or Not wash their hands after touching somthing dirty like trash I don’t have much of a problem with nature I can go into nature and feel pretty good I don’t get bothered unless I encounter a dead animal or animal waste. I have had it under control to an extent for years mainly just washing my hands a bit to much but the last few months it got far worse I’m trying to end this once and for all and rid myself of this anxiety

7. ClaritySeeker

ClaritySeeker Fapstronaut

It sounds like you have OCD, here is some info from a website:
    Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, images, and sensations (obsessions) and engage in behaviors or mental acts in response to these thoughts or obsessions.Often the person carries out the behaviors to reduce the impact or get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only brings temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety. A person's level of OCD can be anywhere from mild to severe, but if left untreated, it can limit his or her ability to function at work or school or even to lead a comfortable existence at home or around others.
    People with OCD:

• Have repeated thoughts, images, and urges about diverse issues, including being compulsively neat and organized; fearing germs, dirt, contamination, intruders, or violence; or imagining hurting loved ones or committing sexual acts or behaving in a way that conflicts with religious beliefs.
    • Engage in repetitive behaviors or mental acts such as washing hands, locking and unlocking doors, counting, keeping unneeded items (hoarding), or repeating the same steps to any task again and again.
    • Have obsessions that are intrusive and compulsions that often feel out of the person's control but dictated by a rule that must be applied rigidly.
    • Get no pleasure from engaging in the behaviors or rituals but do receive some relief from the anxiety the thoughts cause.
    • Spend at least an hour a day on the thoughts and rituals, which cause distress and get in the way of daily life.
    Here is the source if you want to read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/obsessive-compulsive-disorder

If it's getting worse and affecting your life (spending at least an hour a day on the thoughts and rituals), you need to see a therapist and/or doctor (GP or Psychiatrist if therapy alone does not work). Have you tried CBD oil? Have you seen someone for help? What have you done about this?

8. No I have not gone for help I do want to try and beat this I have not tried CBD oil I am minimizing my rituals and hoping to get to the point where I don’t need it I started telling myself it’s in my head recently I started trying a bit harder but I do feel like it’s somthing I need to work at perhaps I need to get more exposure