1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Problem with Popular Music

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Son_of_Iroquois, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Son_of_Iroquois

Son_of_Iroquois Fapstronaut

Alright. This is a rant, so be warned.

Does anyone else hate popular music? By "popular music", I mean the songs that are played ad nauseum (that means until it makes you want to vomit) over and over and over and over and over. And over and over and over and over. And over. And over. Again and again. For literally years without stopping. Everytime you come into work or are out running errands you hear it somewhere.

Let's name some names. I'm talking about songs like "Despacito" (which I really hate), "Perfect" and "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran. "Hello" by Adele. "Let Her Go" by Passenger. And many others.

The thing is, these songs would be tolerable in moderation. They're not terrible songs, just mediocre. Sure, play them once or twice, no problem. Then let's hear something else. There's a million other choices out there. So many genres to choose from, so many interesting bands and artists. So much interesting variety out there. But no. Fuck 99.9% of all other types of music. Instead, let's play the same emotional, vacuous drivel 24/7 until it numbs the listener's brain into a comatose state. Really can't stand it.

I think it's mainly because most people don't like new music. New music challenges the intellect. Instead, most people want to feel that same warm, fuzzy emotion that popular songs make them feel.

I think I will buy some Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones for the office.

Alright, rant over.

2. Depends, if it's songs I like I can listen to them many times and be fine, but if it's ones I'm not into or normally don't listen to then aye. I have a big playlist of songs but am usually on the hunt for more so I can grow it bigger.

3. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

I know what you mean. In the gym that I go to, Taylor Swift's songs are played a lot. 'Style' and 'Blank Space' especially. That's one of the reasons I don't listen to the radio. I get to dictate what I will or will not listen to.

4. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

Its about supply and demand. Most of consumers of this "class" of music are young westerners. Young people are by default more susceptible to cheap thrills, and recent social changes which are first adopted by younger generation are especially... supportive, lets say, of this trend. Modern culture is geared to support this vacuous superficial consumerism. It starts to define whats popular so it spreads to non western countries too. Demand is high, supply is high. Stupid is high...

Deleted Account, SanSolo and KS1994 like this.
  5. hating on pop music is picking low hanging fruit. its mass produced to appeal to a wide audience, not a stupid audience, so the genre would be shorting its own demographic by engaging in more refined musical tastes. it's been this way for decades

I've noticed that people really into pop music tend not to be huge listeners of music in general. they're just not looking to be moved emotionally by that form of art, so it makes sense that they fall back on familiar grounds. just like a head chef probably doesn't eat too much mcdonald's, a true music fan needs more than pop to meet their expectations of creativity. this doesn't mean mcdonald's tastes bad - the chef merely holds food to an artistic standard that can't be met by mass consumption.

6. Son_of_Iroquois

Its a good analogy. My gripe is with the over saturation of it. I guess the public does eat a lot of big macs.

7. RamboErecto

RamboErecto Fapstronaut

Well, i come from a musician family. I play the drums and im very conservative with the music. I mean, to me theres just a few good music bands and musicians.

But that dont means that i have to hate all the rest of the music, i really enjoy listening to rap/trap music.

Everyone can be a monster in his own genere, the only important thing is have talent in what you do.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. Son_of_Iroquois

Yeah man, absolutely. Personally I like all genres of music. Like you say, where there's talent, there's talent. But it seems a few select songs get all the airtime, and then get played into the ground year after year after year. Radio stations should change it up. My only point.

9. Minnesotan

Minnesotan Fapstronaut

It’s a money making industry. Turn off the radio and look elsewhere for the good stuff. Older music is better.:cool:

10. RamboErecto

RamboErecto Fapstronaut

MK-Ultra absolutely sucks, i just see a lot of sexualizer videos. The things that they are doing to the new kids. The next generations will suffer the P efects trought the music.

11. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I like Rock, but theres not that much good Rock out there these days, but a lot of weak hipster crap.

Son_of_Iroquois likes this.
  12. There’s definitely a difference between casual listeners and music fanatics. To be honest, I don’t know how anyone still listens to the radio to listen to music. When people say a song is overplayed I wonder why aren’t they choosing what they’re listening to.

Son_of_Iroquois likes this.
  13. Son_of_Iroquois

Whenever possible that's my solution. However, sometimes its unavoidable. For example, at my office in the reception area I have heard the same half a dozen songs being played repeatedly for over a year. This isn't for the customers either, the people behind the desk are choosing this stuff. Not exactly a complaint I can make to the CEO though.

14. The classic rock station is the worst! They've played the same two "Queen" songs everyday for years. There's so many good classic rock songs that they never play. You would think that they would change up the playlist from time to time.

15. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Not necessarily. Red Solo cups was a terrible song and they still played it all the time.

16. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

17. Son_of_Iroquois

Thank you. Now I know I'm not crazy.

18. That's subjective though and really depends what you're into. I thought a lot of the older music was just as bad as the new stuff, but that doesn't mean it's all bad on both sides.

That's why I use Spotify to find new songs everyday, there's a bloody huge amount of songs in different genres today that are all varied and not the typical shite you hear on the radio. I've got a playlist of over 1.2k songs searching that way, barely hear the same song when listening to it because there's so many. lol

19. Minnesotan

Minnesotan Fapstronaut

I’ve listened to everything from the 60’s to now and I’d have to say there isn’t anything that sounds unique since the early 2000’s.

20. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

The Beatles were popular music