1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you find purpose in life?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anti-ordinary, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Anti-ordinary

Anti-ordinary Fapstronaut

Hello guys, I'm currently in my last year of school. I have been self developing for some time now. Some things I've done: went on 3 fairly long streaks of noPMO (40 days,70 days and 70 days again), read 8 books over summer, studied very hard in school to make sure that I achieved 90%+ results in my tests and exams at school.

However recently I came to a conclusion that I only did all these things for a girl. Sounds stupid when you think about it. In my head she was perfect so I wanted to show her that I was a good match for her.

After things ended up not working out with her I went back to PMO and started studying a lot less than before. This is shown by my exam results. I did an exam a week ago, in that exam I got 79%, last year I got 93% in that same subject.

I know that I am still young, but I want to find a purpose in life. I want to find a long term goal and become successful. But I can't find something that will make me study hard again.

Thank you for reading.

2. Gentle man

Gentle man Fapstronaut

it is complicated !

but isn"t being successful enough !

porpose in life is a deep thing like knowing why you exist !
    for example to satisfy God

or simply try to make your parents friends and the people who love you happy

3. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

The thing that will bring the most purpose to your life is a personal 'mission' (for lack of a better word). You may not always be able to articulate this mission, but you will be able to feel it, to understand it. You are still young so it may take a while to find your real mission, but once you find it you must fully orientate yourself towards it to achieve a meaningful life. How do you find this mission? Try lots of things and keep an open mind. In the meantime, keep working hard, it sounds like you already know how to work hard and have lots of potential. If you have to you can find a temporary goal to keep you motivated, such as another girl, or a scholarship, but just keep grinding

PedroCalrissian likes this.
  4. This is a challenging question, and one I've struggled with several times in my life, including now. First off, temporarily your purpose can just be the quest to explore, to experience, and to discover what interests may inspire you. Don't feel pressure to rush it, just open your awareness to those moments where you feel something that resonates with you internally. This is the key - focusing on your internal motivations rather than external factors like trying to please or impress others. That internal spark of passion is what will carry you forward. It can end up being anything from creative pursuits, to caring for others, to mastering a subject, to a political cause, to a spiritual calling, or perhaps a combinations of various things.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. PedroCalrissian

PedroCalrissian Fapstronaut

Find out the things that you have done in the past and the things you do right now that add the most quality and meaning to you life.

There's no quick answer to this you have to strive to understand yourself.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  6. I feel self help stuff is more about execution rather than how to choose what to do (this can be incorrect because I haven't read many books). It's useful in case you want to start doing better (part of getting older) but as you go on, I think you'll have to figure out things on your own. Purpose is generally not something to look for at this stage. It's a deep thing, as someone said above. My guess is you are asking this because it was mentioned in some book, which may not exactly be intended for a younger audience.

I think at present it's important to establish simple facts that are simple. For example, living for someone else does not help in long-term happiness and makes it possible for that person to control you.

7. Fabian7

Fabian7 Fapstronaut

Hi friend! It’s good to see you asking these questions. I’m not attacking you or anything but are you an atheist/agnostic?

8. Anti-ordinary

Thank you to those that have read and responded. I really do appreciate you taking up your time.

Fabian7 likes this.
  9. Anti-ordinary

@Fabian7 I grew up in a christian environment. When I was younger I would believe in God and prey. As I started to grow older I feel like my belief is nowhere as strong as before. I often doubt the existence of God, something that I never did when I was younger.

Fabian7 likes this.
  10. Fabian7

Fabian7 Fapstronaut

Yep I know the problem brother you believe you have to do good works to get you everlasting life right? The bible says you WILL be transformed and made all new when we believe and trust that Christ died was buried and rose again Ephesians 1:13 but you can cancel grace when you add a single work romans 11:6. Grace is something given to you which you can’t get yourself. Jesus said he who believes in me has everlasting life and before he died he said IT IS FINISHED. You don’t have to do any good works but only believe in the saviour to save you.

11. Fabian7

Fabian7 Fapstronaut

I know the feeling man I was a meth addict and had no purpose. When I woke up every morning I felt just dead. No peace no happiness. But the moment I believed and trusted God transformed me and gave me a new heart. :)

Grandpa61 and BestVersionToday like this.
  12. Fabian7

Fabian7 Fapstronaut

Would you like to be my accountability partner?

13. Get married
    Have kids
    Career
    Hobby
    Contribution / charity

The purpose being to find happiness and develop your spirituality. To be the best you, to leave this earth forever and go with other awesome people. No religion necessary. Everything happens for a reason.

14. Well done getting off that bro!

15. Nothing wrong with being successful but why? Who do you want to impress. You're young, I understand you. When you get older you see things different. In the end nothing really matters, money and material is all bullshit. Each to there own.

16. Fabian7

Fabian7 Fapstronaut

I didn’t do a thing friend :)