1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I have heard good things about dance classes

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by WalkingForward, Dec 8, 2018.

1. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I would suggest weight training and going to dance classes. Be patient and have fun, one day you might get to dance with your future wife. I have heard good things about dance classes.

Personally, I'm such a fucking mess that I have just given up on ever getting a girlfriend or whatever, but I wish you the best.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Atlanticus likes this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It depends on what you're doing it for.

If you go to these dance classes for the sole purpose of hooking up with someone, then you won't last long and you most likely won't be attractive to anyone there. Dancing is very rewarding, but also takes a lot of time and effort to develop the skills. The people that do last long in these classes know this because they've experienced it and respect others that also put in the time and effort.

You can practice all you want in an isolated and self taught environment, but it won't really prepare you for the actual experience. This procrastination is a desire to avoid incompetence and insecurity, but you have to start out that way when attempting something beyond your comfort zone. The best advice I can give to anyone starting out in dancing is to get comfortable with looking foolish and failing a lot. The less stories you have in your head between you and your goal (dwelling on mistakes / failures / embarrassment), the faster you'll develop those skills.

I've personally met amazing people through dancing and I've grown a lot as a person because of it. The rewards and connecting with others became a natural consequence of putting in the time and effort into developing the skills. Sharing struggles, victories, and growing with others helps to deepen relationships.

I love dancing.

Christian Fox and WalkingForward like this.
  3. Atlanticus

Atlanticus Moderator Assistant
    NoFap Defender

Mess or not, I think you're totally onto smth. A LOT of guys don't believe in dance, let alone dance classes, in the US, but in this regard the Latin culture (in general) is way ahead of the game -- by light years, imo.

Dance, my brothers, is essentially socially-accepted public foreplay -- and many women love it, for excellent reasons. If I were them, I'd use it (along with other factors) to screen a guy. Of course, it's not the whole picture. My ex-wife and I, for instance, loved dancing with each other and when we did we felt so good together.... but the rest tanked the relationship big time. So...panacea it may not be, but an _excellent_ start, it is, I think.

Have fun!

WalkingForward and elevate like this.
  4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

It's also a performance. It allows you to show others what's inside of you. What you're able to express. Passion, excitement, intensity, connection, determination, the ability to face adversity and triumph, etc. It's a chance to make others feel what you feel by expressing it all in physical motions. I've seen dancers with very high technical ability, but they look like they hate doing it. I've seen dancers who are beginners, but love doing it. Guess who I'd rather be around and cheer for?

Christian Fox likes this.
  5. what kind of dances are you talking about? I'm new to the game and don't know what dance to choose.
    I'm only good at running and some martial arts :D:rolleyes:

Atlanticus likes this.
  6. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Just do enough so you can hold your own.

7. what do you mean?

8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Meaning you don't have to be Fred Astair, but know enough moves so you don't end up looking like a dork dancing at a wedding.

9. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

Good points

I would suggest some type of partner/ballroom dance. I've heard there is often a shortage of men for women to dance with at those classes.

And of course, as @elevate said, the sole purpose should not be hooking up. Even if you don't click with someone at the dance class itself, dancing is a good and attractive skill to have.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  10. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I like to watch and learn from Black guys. They have a lot of rhythm and coordination and impress the ladies.

Atlanticus likes this.
  11. Atlanticus

Atlanticus Moderator Assistant
    NoFap Defender

You've truly never even thought about doing any dancing; you don't know what there is let alone what you like. That's amazing... but I don't mean to rub it in:)

There is _lots_ to choose from -- too much to enumerate here -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance -- but what you do depends on your likes and cultural attractions ... tap dancing, folk dancing (there's literally a world of that out there), Latin dancing, jazz dance, ballroom dancing, hip-hop/break dancing, ....dang... one could tire just thinking about it! Personally, I like salsa. But the trick is to make sure it's more social dancing, and less stage/performance/professional dancing (though the two overlap a bit) you begin with... since your purpose is social.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018