1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Put down those glasses, take those contact lenses off! Fix your eyesight challenge!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Thechosenone, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

A friend told me yesterday that I look a lot better without specs. So I went on the internet to see if there was a cure to bad vision, and apparently there is.

There's a method called the Bates Method ~ it apparently can fix your eyesight over time. Here's a video on it for ya'll

Who's with me on trying out some of these exercises for say 90 days?
    these are those exercises

20/20 vision for us all!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    fapequalsdeath likes this.
  2. IGY

IGY Guest

Generally, I think people look better with glasses than without them. I cannot remember if you were wearing your glasses in the pictures you have posted before. I think the right glasses can add character to a face. ;)

3. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

hehe but for me its an exception ;) I havent posted what I look like on here yet, perhaps I will when my eyes get fixed hehe

4. IGY

IGY Guest

Hmm, I might have you mixed up with someone else. :D

Now I think about it, I am sure of it! :rolleyes:

Thechosenone likes this.
  5. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

I have some experience with eyesight improvement.
    I was really pissed because my eyesight got worse every year and I needed stronger and stronger glasses. I not only hated to wear glasses but it was so expensive too. I wanted to switch to contact lenses but after the optician told they would be very expensive I didn't get any. Instead I just stopped wearing glasses alltogether unless for driving and started exercises.
    I can say this is no magic pill and don't expect to go from -3D to 0D in a year or so. After I stopped wearing glasses my eyesight definetly improved a bit. Maybe by 0.5D.
    My last perscription was -1.75D left and -1.25D right. Not that bad really. I haven't had an eye exam in years so I can't prove if my eyesight actually improved.
    But I noticed that I had less and less problems making out signs etc. But I am definetly still myopic.
    What I can recommend is this video
    Bates Method is pretty much useless unless you have very mild myopia. Palming and all the other Bates Method exercises won't cure myopia.
    His Method doesn't really go along with what we know about the human eye today.

cranks175 and Thechosenone like this.
  6. hantyumi

hantyumi Fapstronaut

Have you improved since? Or has anyone here that replied to your post? Thanks

7. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Don't get your hopes up. Last post he made was in 2016.

As a guy who wears glasses, i can tell you- this method does work but only very slightly. And it's very slow. However, there is absolutely nothing to lose in trying it, provided you wear your specs/contacts when driving and operating machinery.

Grandsire Bhishma and cranks175 like this.
  8. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

I'm still alive :p, if he actually means me. Maybe he means the TE.

My Eyesight has improved. I got a new visual exam this september. I was kind of surprised by the results

I've improved from:

R -1.75 -0.5 100°
    L -1.25 -0.75 90°

to:

R -0.75 -1.0 99°
    L -0.5 -1.0 88°

As you can see my myopia improved by 1.0 on the right eye and by 0.75 on the left eye. However my Astigmatism got worse which is the part that really surprised me. It seems to me that print pushing had the best effect on myopia improvement. But I have no idea on how to improve Astigmatism. I've searched the internet and didn't find any reliable program that might reduce Astigmatism.

9. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Nah i meant the OP XD

And that's really decent change actually. Myopia enters a state of sustained severity from late adolescence to early senescence (ranging from as early as 16 to 45) so it's no wonder your change is so pronounced as there is no naturally induced degradation to he noted.

I'm totally gonna try this then!

10. hantyumi

hantyumi Fapstronaut

wow nice, in how much time was this improvement? for astigmatism check out jake steiner, i think he says to reduce astigmatism just the way you go along with reduced prescriptions. astigmatism is mostly easier to get rid of as myopia. hey congrats again, hope you will be able to take down the glasses completely.

11. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

Thank you very much. One of my dreams is to get to 20/20 and see without glasses perfectly. Maybe I will get there eventually. Now I started with vision improvement around summer 2013 so it's about 5 1/2 years ago. But I have to add that I was trying out a lot of different methods like Bates, print pushing, Jake Steiners method etc and wasn't consistent most of the time. I probably didn't do any vision improvement for 2 years or so overall. In summer 2013 I got my vision tested and the optician said that my eyesight had gotten worse again. At that time I was wearing the perscription I mentioned above.

R -1.75 -0.5 100°
    L -1.25 -0.75 90°

So I was actually worse than that. But the optician told me that I had gotten worse but didn't give me my new numbers. I left and decided to take my eyesight in my own hands. So I'm pretty sure I improved over 1 diopter in about 2-3 years of serious exercising.

In my opinion the most powerful exercising is print pushing. It's the one where you feel your eyes working the most. After a time of reading you will notice that the eyes are trying to clear up the blur by themselves.

Other than that, I'm currently wearing a reduced perscription for Uni but other than that I don't use any glasses. I just took of -0.25 of the Astigmatism and Myopia numbers from the new perscription.

I hope any of this helps. If you have more question just ask them. I'm happy to help.

12. hantyumi

hantyumi Fapstronaut

Thanks for the reply. I have 6.5 myopia, last year I followed the Bates method took them off and could gain almost a whole diopter over a few months. Then I went to UNI and things started again to worsen. I am following now the Jake Steiner Method and also David De Angelis Power Vision System. I probably have reduced my prescription too much which leaves me with no improvement. Actually, I am thinking to go away from the screen and start to put it on a projector or television screen which is at least 3 meters away from me. I think this could help because your eyes do not have to converge that much. And when reading while wearing contact lenses I put a +1.5 glass in front for reducing my focal plane to the distance of reading.

One question: do you move your head back and forward as Todd suggests? Or are you just staying in the blur zone?

13. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

I don't do it that complicated. I sit at a comfortable at which there is blur away from my screen and decrease the size font to the smallest possible size where I can still read the text without any major issues. If you have the tendency to lean forward you are in my opinion overdoing it. Comfortable distance at blur range + small font. If you read at that distance for some time you'll notice that your eyes start to clear up the blur now and then.

14. Mr.Shaman

Mr.Shaman Fapstronaut

Could anyone report on their results?

15. hantyumi

hantyumi Fapstronaut

I managed to gain 1 diopter last year in two months... I always started again and again with vision training but as long as I am working that much hours on the computer it will not bring results... But it is possible, it is just really really intense work and consistency is key factor.

16. Mr.Shaman

Mr.Shaman Fapstronaut

What exactly do you do? I mean the exercises and their duration differ from person to person. I was also interested if palming alone could help the eyesight, it seems to be the main contributor to successful results.

17. hantyumi

hantyumi Fapstronaut

about palming there are a lot of controversial ideas. It is more seen to be able to reverse pseudomyopia but not lence induced myopia. Google Jake Steiner, and Power Vision System, also Todd Becker has a talk on youtube about that. Reduced lenses are really important. You will need one for close up work and another one for normal vision.

18. Red Eagle

Red Eagle Fapstronaut

If you're sitting in front of the computer for hours a day you need a different system. Start print pushing. You need to find a distance from your computer where it starts to get blurry but you can still read everything. Then make your font size as small as is stil possible for you to work with. If you read tiny print from a comfortable yet challenging position for a period of time you will notice that sometimes the blur starts to clear up. That's called print pushing and from my experience the most powerful exercise when it comes to vision imrpovement.

Exactly. Relaxation cannot reverse axial elongation. That's why one needs a exercise that pushes the eyes to adapt to distance vision.

19. Limitbreaker

Limitbreaker Fapstronaut

Amazing! I will try that too.

20. Mr.Shaman

Mr.Shaman Fapstronaut

So basically if I stay further away from my screen and decrease the size of the font, that alone will bring my vision back over time?