1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Break the cycle

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by grunner, Jan 9, 2019.

1. grunner

grunner Fapstronaut

Hello fellow Fapstronauts.
    Grunner here. I just joined up yesterday because I've been trying to quit PMO for a while now (a couple years) just on my own, and I just can't seem to break the cycle. I'll go a week or week and a half and then binge. I'm looking forward to the community and challenges and more accountability and kicking this.

SpaceChickenMonster likes this.
  2. Soccer14

Soccer14 Fapstronaut

Welcome Grunner! We're happy to have you join the community.

I too spent a number of years trying to break the cycle on my own. I found I learned a lot from it and learned a lot of perseverance and discipline, but I also learned a lot from joining NoFap as well. It's a good combination I think. I also think it's healthy to leave NoFap, time and again, to break out on your own and see how you do.

But you're hear now and it sounds like it's the right place to be at this point in time for you. So here are some things you can do to make the most of it:

1.) Start a journal and share your successes, failures, and challenges. This is really helpful because others will read them and be able to quickly identify mistakes or misconceptions and point you in the right direction, because they've done the same thing.

2.) Read lots of journal entries. You can learn a lot, especially from the people who share their success stories (there's an entire forum for this).

3.) Find an Accountability Partner (again, there's an entire forum for this). An accountability partner is just someone to hold you accountable in whatever way(s) you think are most helpful. I would strongly suggest finding someone who has had some long term success as opposed to hooking up with someone who is in a similar place as you.

4.) Help others. Read other people's posts and give them encouragement and empathy. We're all here for the same reason and it is refreshing to be able to talk to and hear from people who know what we're going through. Every single post (or at least almost every single post) is written with the hope that someone else reads it and responds, otherwise, why would people write here? So give back. Even just "liking" what people write is helpful.

Best of luck.

SpaceChickenMonster likes this.
  3. grunner

grunner Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice! I definitely want to get started on that journal and finding an accountability partner right away.