1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The habit changer challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Giacomo

Giacomo Fapstronaut

Every time I'll write a new habit, I'll copy the previous one, as a reminder. So

1. After I got up, I'll wait at least 20 minutes before switching on my phone and my pc.
    2. Before having breakfast, I'll drink a glass of water.

Baldur and Force Majeure like this.
  2. Ender Atreides

Ender Atreides Fapstronaut

Kill it, I think most of the time we know exactly what we want/need. The problem is it's so easy to rationalize why we shouldn't, even though all of those rationalizations mean nothing compared to what we know we really need to do.

I've made a habit of allowing myself to get caught up in needing to work through the "what if" in my head, but I know all I really need to do is let go of it and do what I believe or else I stay stuck. Time to get back on track

Force Majeure likes this.
  3. Ender Atreides

Ender Atreides Fapstronaut

After I observe my wanting to do something impulsive, something out of discomfort/fear, or something to try to fit in or impress someone, I will slow it down, breathe and choose to focus on what is consistent with the man I want to be (an old therapist used to always say "catch it, check it, change it")

Baldur, Giacomo and Force Majeure like this.
  4. 6: After I take my vitamins, I will plan when to do one thing on my todo-list.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2019
    Giacomo likes this.
  5. iwillbestrong123

iwillbestrong123 Fapstronaut

after I get up I will make my bed

Baldur, Giacomo and Force Majeure like this.
  6. 7: After I am done using my phone for the day, I will put it on charge.
    8: After I sit down to eat, I will take three deep breaths.
    9: After the kids have started to watch a movie, I will use my wrist roller.

Giacomo likes this.
  7. After I wake up in the morning, I will not use any random stranger online chat website from tomorrow...Day 1

Force Majeure and Giacomo like this.
  8. That's great. :) What are you going to do instead?

Giacomo likes this.
  9. A day has begun...wake up now & going to utilize the time either for studying or meditation...Day 2

Giacomo and Force Majeure like this.
  10. 10: After everyone is up from the bed, I will open the window.
    11: After I close the window, I will make the bed.

Giacomo likes this.
  11. iwillbestrong123

iwillbestrong123 Fapstronaut

12. i was hoping to be sober for next 30 days & don't use any such website for chatting as a part of new habit, but relapsed after 4 days by accessing such website...again starting from today with day 1....

13. Hey buddy, have you read the goals of this challenge? The goal is to develop 30 new good and tiny habits that you can place in a sentence like ”after I x, I will y”. Surely, your sentence fits into that format but I think it's going to be easier if you don't use the "not"-word. Phrasing your sentence: "After I wake up in the morning, I will not use any random stranger online chat website". When I first read it I asked you what you were going to do instead because of a simple reason: Whether you think about something or you think about not thinking about something you still think about it! "I will not use any random strange online chat website" makes you think about random online chat websites. It's going to be easier to resist the temptation if you don't think about it at all. If you want to break the habit, I think you should focus all your energy on building the new, not on fighting the old. With that said, focus on what you are going to do after you wake up in the morning. Make the morning as streamlined as you can. What makes you use random strange online chat websites? Try to come up with other habits that can break that behaviour. Examples: "After I wake up in the morning, I will have a cold shower", "After I wake up in the morning, I will make my bed", "After I wake up in the morning, I will get dressed".

Another thing I thought about when I designed this challenge was that one should develop behaviours that can last forever. They should be tiny in the sense that you do not need any motivation whatsoever in order for you to do it. The "After I"-part of the sentence is the trigger, it makes you actually execute the thing once you attach it to something else you already do. For example, one that is in use for me is "After I enter the kitchen, I will tidy up one thing". This is ridiculously simple, it's only one thing I have to do every time I enter the kitchen. I may put a spoon in the dish washer, pick up a thing from the floor or something else. It's trivial. Yet the result is amazing. In a matter of days my whole kitchen has turned into a really shiny place. And the story doesn't end there, this has triggered me to clean up my whole house. Today I have started two washing machines, made the bed, cleaned the floor, cleaned the walls in the kitchen and much more. This is just happening by itself because of that tiny trigger to tidy up one thing in the kitchen.

Oh, by the way, the challenge is not day oriented, meaning that there are no 30 days to stick to, you should just do your best and work on yourself. When you have come up with 30 new habits that you actively are trying to apply you are done with the challenge, however your habits are then just in the beginning. If you take this seriously they will last forever :). You may forget the habits sometimes, that's OK, just kindly remind yourself from time to time what your new habits are. When you have worked hard on your habits for a long time they will start to sink in and you don't have to think about them anymore, they will just happen by themselves. That's exactly what you should aim for. Be creative. Prioritize delayed gratification. Strive to reach your goals. :)

I have started to use Trello for this and it works like a charm. I have a board for my goals, another for self-improvement, one for todos, and so on.

Baldur likes this.
  14. 12: After I begin my bike ride to or from work, I will listen on audio books to learn German.

Giacomo likes this.
  15. Thanks, pal for these detail explanation, look like I was hooked to changing single habit daily...anyways hopefully I will proceed as it is needed...

Force Majeure likes this.
  16. day 0: after I woke up I do all my household cleaning activities

Giacomo and Force Majeure like this.
  17. DAY 1: After I get up i dont use snooze button of my alarm today & i leave the bed as soon as i open my eyes...

Giacomo and kropo82 like this.
  18. 13: After I put on my helmet I will collect my bicycle lights.

Giacomo likes this.
  19. After i wake up in the morning I avoid using laptop, mobile & internet, to make my day more productive.