1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gillette ad that people are rightly pissed about.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Ra's Al Ghul, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Most definitely. I don’t stand for Gillette or P&G for this or automatically assuming all men are bad, but the message of learning by example is true.

It’s in fact a message that I’ve seen several social conservatives stick behind: that the best way to raise your child is through the parents’ example. They justify any mass shooting, rapes, terrorism or gang activity with broken families or fatherless homes, yet they cry at that message.

Kids are constantly learning and taking in their environments. Think about how long a kid is in school. Compare that to how long they’re at home. Learning takes place at home.

2. There is not such thing as toxic masculinity and this is why I have a problem with this add. Toxic behavior is toxic behavior and it should not be ascribed to a particular sex. Harassment, violence and emotional immaturity are signs of disfucntion and are just as prevalant among females as it is among males. Ascribing these characters to masculinity is clearly a clear attempt to go "woke" and cash in on me too histeria, feminist overreach and the current anti male sentiment. They never had an issue with masculinity when they were using gender stereotypes to promote their products and working in tandem with the media and movie companies who promote unhealthy sterotypes for men to make a buck.

I'm not offended by anyone who discourages violence, bulling, harrasment, rape and emotional immaturity because these are disfuctional behaviors that are bad for everyone. I'm not some right wing patriot but I do beleive in the US constitution, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. People are so caught up in SJW culture these days that people forget that people have the right to live the way they want to within the bounds of the law. I would like the people at gilette to sell razors and the government to focus on providing people with safety and economic opportunity instead of engaging in social engineering and indoctrination. I believe that many of the other men who take issue with this add take offense to being lectured on morality by some shitty multi national corporation who benefits financially from child labor.

3. I checked on the internet for proof that Gillete used child labour but couldn't find any... if it's true though then that's really disgusting. Nevertheless though, as disgusting as they may be as a company that doesn't diminish from some of the good points they made in their ad.

4. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

context of liberal agenda

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  5. Ah, I see what you're getting at as the term "toxic masculinity" denotes masculinity being toxic in of itself.

Allow me to change it from "toxic masculinity" to "toxic behavior".

6. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

Some of my favourite childhood memories are me and my friends fighting. You may lose a tooth but they hopefully are only your first set.
    Fighting is great for the mental growth of a young man. Teaches you strength in victory and humility in defeat.

7. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

I read this whole thread to see if anyone else had the same perspective on the "boys rough housing" and nobody did... So here it is...
    Its not about the kids Themselves fighting, it's about the dads choosing to ignore the kids with the line "boys will be boys" because fathers are often so absent from the parent child rearing relationship standpoint.
    The one dad breaks through and decides to be a dad.
    That's the point.
    Not breaking up the fight itself.
    Thats his scene.
    The Other fight scene is on pointless fighting with teens.
    But personally, why shouldn't men try to be better?
    Whether you are left or right or hang upside down by your toes.... Why not try to do the best you can do every single day?
    It doesn't matter who made the ad, the fact is the message is "be a kind person and let's try to be better than we have been"
    Having a issue with that kind of message, makes it sound like the people complaining are the problem, not the message.

8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I think this is in reference to P&G (Gillette’s parent company) buying palm oil from a supplier accused of forced child labour.

9. There is a "war on masculinity" going on, there is a gender war going on. Donald Trump is a symptom of it. The reaction to Donald Trump is a symptom of it. The "Me Too" movement is a symptom of it. The Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court nomination and the reaction to it was a symptom of it. The American Psychological Association calling traditional masculinity and its values of "stoicism, competitiveness, dominance, and aggression" a mental illness, is a symptom of it. The transgender movement is a symptom of it. The Gillette commercial is one more symptom of it. Even NoFap and the reaction to it, is a symptom of it.

Read this: https://therationalmale.com/2019/01/16/gender-war/

The assumption behind the message of the Gillette commercial is that men need to be told to "be good men". Why would men need to be told to be "good men", one may logically ask? Only if they are in fact bad. The assumption is that men are bad and need to be educated, through something as banal as an ad for RAZORS. The "outrage" that people are whining on here about is fully justified and a false equivalence is being drawn between this outrage and the outrage of SJWs, which is fake outrage. We want to be able to turn on our TV and not have this shit shoved in our faces

10. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Can confirm. I was always hugely into sport for that reason.

11. If they did a PSA on toxic behavior then I would have no issue with the add. Ascribing toxicity to masculinity is indicitive of an agenda.

Gotham Outlaw and Ra's Al Ghul like this.
  12. Oh I didn't know that but that damn that's horrible!

MLMVSS likes this.
  13. They seriously labelled masculinity a mental illness! Wow! That kinda makes me feel sorry for you Americans... your country is being destroyed little by little from the inside out.

Gotham Outlaw and MLMVSS like this.
  14. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

In P&G’s defence, I think P&G ended that partnership after it was found out and became “bigger” news, but I’m not sure on that one. I’m not sure what else they have under their history though.

15. I wholeheartedly agree with the points they made. My issue is they made the points in a way that give credence to a dangerous and oppressive campaign and philosophy to stifle men's rights. I just got a notice from the local college I attend stating I had to attend some 1.5 hour sexual reeducation program before I could register for classes. This will be happening to men and boys everywhere in a few years.

EthanW. likes this.
  16. No matter what, it's still horrible and unacceptable.

17. This is why men are getting tired of this stuff. This is not even being done slick or covertly.

Gotham Outlaw and brilliantidiot like this.
  18. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

This is an interesting view of it and one that I can see. Do you think this is because men work more (according to the more traditional view anyway), or are away because of prison, or they just walk out the child’s life, don’t care, etc?

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. Yeah there's a whole thread about it on here! You're right, the country is being destroyed from the inside, and it's not going to get better :(

20. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Yes, but at least Europe is further along in their destruction than the USA. Its because they havent figured out how to confiscate our guns without starting a bloody Civil War.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.