1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Price of Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by NicholasCopernicus, Feb 23, 2019.

1. NicholasCopernicus

NicholasCopernicus New Fapstronaut

In high school I was a track star. I ran sub 5 minute miles, and thanks to the culture of the American high school system, I was popular because of it. Everyone in my school at least respected me. It was the first time in my life I had social status, and it there was nothing that could equate to it at the time. All my friends exalted me. My peers would mention my relevance in passing. Girls constantly wanted my attention, and some of them would hit me over my head with a fish until I gave them the time of day. My teachers and employer thought I was going somewhere and did everything to help me. My extended family were constantly demanding that I tell them of my adventures. Most of all, my parents finally stopped thinking of me as a functionless vegetable and as a real person. I remember my 18th birthday was the peak of this experience. I got cool designer jackets, five hundred dollars from my grandparents, and most of all, my best friends were there. My mom literally mentioned to me at one point during the party "life is good".

Life is of decent quality today, but I feel that the previous experience is out of touch with my current life. I usually have to set 5 alarms to get up on time. I then go to my job, where my coworkers are unhappy and unmotivated. I do try to keep positive in my prospects and tell them they still have a chance at life, but all that does is make them uncomfortable. They appreciate who I am, but I have suspicions that they feel somewhat envious of where I am. Meanwhile, my social status is a former shadow of itself. My friends still try to keep in contact with me, but the conversations on average don't span as long as I'd like them to. My peers, although still somewhat supportive, are too busy with their own lives to pay much mind. My teachers merely recognize my presence and not much else. That brings me to my family. Nowadays thanks to petty family politics, individual families in my extended family have become entrenched factions where their personal idealisms are valued very highly and I can't tell if there is an air of hatred or condescension with the other families (maybe both). They will all still socialize as much as they did before with me, but refuse to talk to someone else in my family in the same way.

My high school memories were fantastic, but the reality of them is locked away in the grasp of an arrow of time that no matter how hard I try to run and catch it, it keeps increasing its distance from me. I then resort to projecting this nostalgia on others, but they also are heading their own way. When I have no where else to turn, I turn to forms of media such as this one to let my visions loose. No one told me that should you maintain an energetic and mostly positive outlook on life, many others will fall around you and simultaneously burden you with their conformity to the weight of daily life. I do sometimes have trouble dealing with this, but I can't let that happen. I will sustain myself and my visions of grandeur, even if others are not as strong as me. I can't stop the arrow of time from advancing, but I can follow it to new horizons and times ahead.

overclocked likes this.
  2. Are you in the mafia?

BravelyKegger and overclocked like this.
  3. my experience in highschool was the direct opposite, i had hardly no friends, terrible grades, bullied every day, called a weirdo, hell even the people i thought to be my friends were assholes to me, i just was not at a good place in my life back than, bad social anxiety, very depressed, no direction in life, and i hated school because it felt like a forced prison where i was surrounded by awful people, i am an old soul and i have always hated people my age, maybe that is why i did not connect with anyone, my mind was years ahead of many of them, gosh i fucking hated highschool, i dropped out of that shit after like 2 years, i was a shy introvert and did not want to be bothered, of course kids look for people like me to abuse, the kids who never fight back or want any drama, i fucking hate young people. I dont get bullied anymore however, my confidence has gone up a ton, and i put on a ton of muscle so no one would mess with me, its worked pretty good so far.

4. Hell yeah.

What kind of workout routine do you do?

I always thought cos of your username, that you were some kid.

5. i have been using this username since i was a kid so not surprising lol, as for workout routine i do a lot of weights.
    monday- bench press, dumbbell bench press, shoulder presses, dumbbell flys, dumbbell side raises, dips,
    tuesday- curls, overhead dumbbell press, tricep rope pulldowns, reverse curls
    wednesday- squats, leg curls, reverse leg curls, bent over rows, pullups
    thursday and friday are the same and monday and tuesday, i also do a lot of pushups.
    i went from benching 170 in highschool to 225 currently, i weigh 160, 5'10, 15 1/2 inch arms, nice chest, so yah i am doing good for myself.

6. Nice

BravelyKegger likes this.
  7. thanks, its amazing what muscle does for you honestly.

8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

So you were a Chad track star at the peak of your youth and surprised that the glory days don't last forever. Welcome to life son.

9. I'm enjoying building it, but also trying to find a balance between being fired up about it, and not being dependant on it- since if lifestyle, projects, serious injury, whatever else renders me unable to stick to my training and diet, I don't want that to be a problem. For now I'm doing that by seeing it as an artistic project, which is my current expression of deeper things.

keep fighting

10. yah that happens so often, the popular kids in school think life will be easy for them and than they are nothing in the real world, its like at my old job, one of the popular kids from school worked there and i was like a lot more popular than him there, my point is school fame means nothing outside of school.

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  11. diet is not really important, healthy eating is however, and exercise does not really take that long i am out there no more than 30-40 minutes a day.

12. NicholasCopernicus

No. What I'm referring to is the constant drama between my extended family and mine that makes it hard to see my cousins in person. Growing up my cousins were the only people that wanted to hang around with me. I dislike having to deal with my religious fundamentalist aunts/uncles to talk to my cousins. It upsets my parents way more than it does me, and I can tell since they are obsessing over how to respond to texts from them that are provocative or outright arrogant without loss of face.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. NicholasCopernicus

I'm glad to see things are going better for you now. Unlike you I caused all my own personal trouble preceding high school. Up until freshman year I was very socially inept and I would attempt to "debate" people in my school in regards to politics. Since I didn't really have the capacity to listen to others viewpoints and rampantly used logical fallacies in my arguments, I had a lot of enemies then. That is why my parents thought of me as a functionless vegetable. My ignorance got so bad that someone started a fight with me and his friends all tried to pin its cause on me. The fight was inconclusive, but it was my wake up call to better self awareness. My dedication to my achievement in track was the output of that wake up call.

To be honest I thought the school system and the people that competed for social status in it in general were incredibly superficial and insensitive. I joined track out of the pretense that I would get into a better school since I would have more extracurriculars on my transcript. I didn't know at the time being successful in it would help elevate my social status and lift me out the reputation I had created beforehand. The parts of my track experience I appreciate most were having a sense of community with my teammates (this was the first time I had a real group of friends ever) and breaking the paradigm that I would have no physical ability whatsoever.

Enough about me though. What kind of foods do you try to include in what you eat, and which ones do you tend to restrict?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  14. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

I despised pretty much all my years in public school until I joined Band. If it wasn’t for Band I would have dropped out and did home school or something. All of my true friends came from Band. I was also in the Drumline. I was droppen mad beats yo.

15. i wont lie some situations i did cause, because of my own awkwardness and people always were annoyed by me because i wont concede in an arguement if i know i am right. As for food, no processed, junk, sugar.
    -2 chicken breasts mixed with a pot of jasmine rice or brown rice, daily
    -veggie smoothie consisting of, spinach, broccoli, celery, 2 bananas , 1 apple, greek yogurt, 1cup of orange juice, 1 cup of water, youll need a blender to make these.
    -lots of tea, green tea, oolong tea, peppermint tea, ginger tea, these are all options
    -spinach eggs, salmon, milk, fruits/veggies
    -i occasionally juice veggies and fruits it consists of, cucumber, celery, beets, broccoli stems, carrots, i add more depending on what i can find. I would say the worst thing i eat is the garlic salt i put on my chicken and rice, which i am trying to find a healthier alternative, and i need to cut back on tortilla chips, the brand is santitas, i love eating those with hummus.