1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I`m feeling sick of Crucifixion - VERY DISTURBING!

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

I`ve been taking class of Christianity where i do learned basic stuff like types of bibles, Rabbais, types of Angels, concept of resurrection and forgiveness.

with that being said, I`ve somehow got ended up watching disturbing clippings, scenes from movies such as Passionate of Christ. some scene according to Johns writing.

Okay let me clarify on things that making me feel pathetic.

whipping or Christ is walking around holding a beam are`nt that scary or chilling.

in a scene taken according to writings of John, were one soldier feeding Christ with beer soaked in a sponge.

finally, after death of Christ poke him in his chest to exclude some remaining blood.

Those scenes are really disturbing.

I know I`ve been watched many disturbing movies in my life. I didn`t got affected much.

but now I`m following retention over watching any movies or entertainment content with negative notions to train my mind for healthy response.

So it affected me watching quite graphically disturbing content after long time.

So, please let me know if there`s any way to get rid of those disturbing scenes of execution of Jesus Christ.

NOTE: I`m not either a follower or relate with Christian background. but I got to love him naturally right after reading his journey, journey toward his missionaries, his extreme level of humility and forgiveness.

I really love JESUS alot!, I would like to know many things more of Jesus rather about Christianity.

so please suggest any ebooks about Jesus (I`m expecting it to be simple!, not an expert level).

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Is you background with Hinduism? Your profile says India, I was just curious. I spent some time studying Hare Krishna. They believed Jesus was an incarnation of Krishna. Anyways that's not what you are asking. There are tons of great books on Jesus. Obviously the bible is the best place to start. Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict is three volumes long. The first one stops short of the passion, so that might be a good one if you want to ignore the crucifixion. I wouldnt ignore it too long though because it's pretty important, but I agree thinking about it too much is a bummer.

3. Read the whole New Testament from the Bible without skipping commentaries. I don't know about newer English translations, so maybe someone else can point some. It's the first source of knowledge that any person interested in Jesus should read, not some secular works. There always has to be some basis, and the Bible is that basis. Then, of course, you can read some secular works, Catholic ones obviously, but the Bible gives you a better understanding of those.

When it comes to the Crucifixion... well, that's something you shouldn't try to forget about if you're interested in Jesus. All of His teachings lead to that one moment and three days after that moment. You just can't skip it if you're really interested in His person. It just makes no sense.

4. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    It’s the way He died that we so remember Him for.

I can’t think of how to forget that, it’s my whole life’s meditation.

P.S. Forgot to mention, 'cuz you asked for books about Jesus @Zillion: The Day I Was Crucified by Gene Edwards

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    brilliantidiot likes this.
  5. Zillion

Zillion Fapstronaut

I can understand that he had suffered and endured extreme amount of pain for the redemption of people from sin and curse.

I know, I think you didn`t get me yet, in movies they won`t be honest with you, they`ll exaggerate every thing especially violence and graphics.

6. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I personally found all the movies to be lacking in comparison to what I've understood of His suffering through the practice of contemplation.

The whips really did have barbs in them to grip into His flesh and tear out chunks. He was brutally beaten. Then, after his beating they dressed him up with a robe and a crown of thorns to present him to the crowds to be mocked. You know what happened? His blood and his wounds would have stuck to the robe, maybe even closing and binding the robe to him.

So when the robe was stripped off him, all the wounds would have been re-opened. Hundreds of scabs ripped right off.

The movies don't show you anything about that, do they?

I don't think they either show how the shoulders would be dislocated?

The whole process of crucifixion was horrible, brutal and obscene. Of course the camera puts you right in the action, but what it doesn't do is put you in the shoes of the one being crucified. What He suffered is far worse then what is depicted. You might see a little gore, but you don't see the horror he faced through His eyes. You don't feel the pain, the stinging of sweat in wounds, the utter exhaustion...knowing that the lashes are just a taste of what is to come.

Those nails are driven in through the nerves. In order to breathe, He had to push up upon His very nerves and pull with dislocated shoulders. I've experienced a pinched nerve, so, let me tell you that what that are showing in the movies is nothing. And you know why they have to push and pull themselves up to breathe? Because if they don't, their lungs begin to slowly fill with fluid.

Imagine taking days to slowly drown, all the while in perpetually intense agony...fire pouring through the signals of your main nerve bundles to your brain.

A little blood and a spear in the side?

Dude, the outer gore is indeed a tough thing to watch. But the reality of it was so much worse...

7. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

While yes, please don't believe everything you see in movies, crucifixion is really a terrible way to die. One of the reasons their legs was broken was to speed up the suffocation, without it a crucifixion could go on for days. Humans really can come up with terrible ways of killing other people. The Romans really brought that to an awful level and films like the Passion of the Christ really play it up. Jesus' death is probably not far off from what was depicted, gore and all.

The amazing thing - or the amazing things - are these:
    First, Jesus CHOSE that death. Willingly gave himself up for it! He could have walked down from there at any point and insta-killed all the people who wanted to hurt him, but instead he takes all the insults and torture they give out so that you might have the opportunity to know him and to know God.
    Second, from that brutal torture and death comes the redemption of the world. Jesus dies, yes. But he does not stay dead! His resurrection tears a singularity in the universe and all human understanding so that we can know God! "The Jews want miracles and the Greeks want logic, but we teach Christ crucified - an idea that throws all understanding on its head!"

If you find yourself thinking about those images or find yourself disturbed or upset by them, pray for Jesus to speak to you in that moment, and invite him into your thoughts. Even, "Jesus, the scenes of your death trouble me. Help me to understand them, and give me peace." He responds to those who ask!

You are asking good questions, @Zillion ! Ask and it will be given to you! Seek and you will find! Knock and the door will be opened for you!

TheNewestCreation likes this.
  8. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

Have a look at the things he said, the way he lived. You don't need ebooks, tap into the source - The Bible! The book of John is a really good place to start, as John (while a little poetic in the first chapter) really gets into Jesus as a person and the things he said.
    If you are more historically minded, read Luke - he was not with Jesus when Jesus was on earth, but heard about him later and investigated Jesus' life and teaching from the primary sources: the disciples and followers of Jesus.