1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Captain Marvel: am I the only one who...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by RobinCoenBrosFan, Mar 7, 2019.

1. RobinCoenBrosFan

RobinCoenBrosFan Fapstronaut

...does not give a rat’s ass about this “controversy?” Frankly, I don’t care if this movie has an overtly “feminist” message, or if Brie Larson has gone on or off record denouncing “white men,” or whatever the fuck. On the contrary, I have a light interest in feminist ideals in film. But I care that the movie is watchable and competent. That’s it. I haven’t managed to see it yet due to lack of financial resources but want to be sure to look at the movie subjectively to ascertain that it’s worth my time and money. If the criticisms of the movie are warranted, like if performances are under par or if special effects/CGI are over the top, that’s fine. The people blaming any legitimate criticisms on “trolls,” “alt-righters,” (like Amy Schumer did when her Netflix special got low ratings), “straight white males” or “broflakes” (which sadly is a real thing) are complete morons and should be disregarded. But what the actress said? If the film has a bias against “privilege” in society? Idgaf!!! Stop shoving it in my face! I’m venting because I am sick of seeing this in my Facebook feed (I need to check FB regularly because I am an actor/performance artist...on Law and Order SVU recently as an extra—oh yeah buddy—and most gigs are frequently listed there, but on the bright side, the next week or two is mostly booked). So for that reason I think I can stay off of FB but I am SO sick of prolific “geek culture” channels talking about meaningless horseshit like this.

GigglingTrout and Gotham Outlaw like this.
  2. MJ Warrior 93

MJ Warrior 93 Fapstronaut

I really don't give a shit about the movie at all. After seeing the first trailer, I thought it looked like a bad rip-off of Supergirl (the CW show).

I'm just waiting for Avengers: Endgame to see it.

3. I'm not super outraged by the stuff Brie said, but it is annoying to me to have the whole film feel like an agenda being shoved down our throats now. If she hadn't said so much feministy nonsense, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it, but now I feel like the movie is tainted for me. That might sound dumb to some people, but I can't help it. After all that stuff, now it just feels annoying that some magic woman is going to come out from behind the curtain at the last second and do what all of the Avengers combined couldn't manage to do. Honestly, that part of the movie (or at least what it seems like it's going to be like) has always seemed dumb to me. Her comments just put a big spotlight on the agenda of it all, and I'm tired of that crap.

4. RobinCoenBrosFan

Shit, I don’t even care that Captain Marvel is a woman in the film, in fact I’m all for them trying something new, but I’m just sick of the press and publicity that’s saying movies like this and Ghostbusters 2016 (which I didn’t even bother to watch) are flawless cinematic art and anyone who says otherwise hates women, and I hate when a big deal is made outta these things as if Hollywood is making some profound defiant statement in the face of misogyny. I had the same reaction to Hermoine from Harry Potter being portrayed by an actress of color in “The Cursed Child.” Nor do I care if the female lead in “Ghost in the Shell is played by Scarlett Johansson and not an Asian woman (it was kind of an odd choice—and they could have Americanized it too—but why was there cause for outrage?) I don’t care as long as they’re a good actor and not a cringy one with no talent.

“Pat the studio on the back everyone! Get used to it, sexists and straight white males! In your face!”

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    SilentJay313 and Deleted Account like this.
  5. People complain when things are unoriginal and boring.

A female Ghostbusters, for example, would be okay if it was an entertaining spin-off or something, not some crappy remake with an obvious agenda.

Admittedly I didn't see the film lol.

Ben Affleck's "Live by Night" was a bit crap for similar reasons, and I actually saw that one.

RobinCoenBrosFan likes this.
  6. To quote Ilhan Omar: "It's all about the Benjamins". I really know nothing about this movie or this controversy, I do not pay attention to pop culture. But this sounds like an example of "woke capitalism", they're marketing this movie to the new generation of woke Millennials and younger. It's social justice for sale

Ra's Al Ghul likes this.
  7. GigglingTrout

GigglingTrout Fapstronaut

No, I don't care either

8. If a movie seems interesting enough Ill watch it but I really have no interest in Captain Marvel. Directors are people and I'm sure they interject some type of bias into their work but I'm not about to spend a cent of my money on blatant feminist propaganda. I doubt I'd be able to stomach it anyway. I could never get behind the Idea of superheros because their abilities are so silly and over the top it becomes pointless. There's no excitement or suspense when the protagonist's powers are so storng that nothing is a threat. Why watch people trying over and over to kill someone that can't die.

It's also a bad sign when you have to use feminist rhetoric to shame the critics into giving it good review and blame any potential failure on sexism, racism and toxic masculinity. That make me wonder if the movie is actually any good because the critics on rotten tomatoes rated the movie 85 while the fans rated it 32.

SilentJay313 likes this.
  9. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I usually like watching Marvel comics films, but not when its been SJW-ized officially by the main actress. I'm going to pass on this and instead watch They Shall Not Grow Old. Afterwards I will go drink somewhere and get toxically Masculine.

10. Tonyaa12

Tonyaa12 New Fapstronaut

Besides all the feminist scenes and confusing plots, the character is too powerful, doesn't fit into the Marvel characters. the villains are the worst part of the movie. They are like chicken compared with Captain marvel

11. Interesting analysis on the reviews so far.

12. RobinCoenBrosFan

When will no one figure out that the use of the word “woke” isn’t grammatically correct?

13. I watched it today.

Not bad, but not good either. Basically nothing new.

This character is not worth replacing Ironman or Cap as the leader of the avengers.

14. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Captain Holt pointed this out on brooklyn nine nine. He refers to it as awake in order to stay gramatically correct.

15. RobinCoenBrosFan

Lol I’ve been meaning to get into that show

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  16. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I'd highly recommend it.

17. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

I was interested in seeing Captain Marvel up until the point where the director and actress were spouting feminist ideas. I'll still eventually see it, but I'll probably just be hoping she gets killed by Rogue in the end. I'm more excited about the other Captain Marvel(Shazam) and Battle Angel Alita at this point in time.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  18. I'm soooo stoked for Shazam! Zachary Levi is going to be do great.

19. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

The proper way of protesting something like this is to not watch the movie and to not give it any attention. And make it unprofitable to produce this kind of garbage.

Life is way too short for wasting time on bad movies anyhow. We should work on ourselves and make a positive impact on the world. We should only focus on our own actions and make the most out of each moment.

20. SilentJay313

SilentJay313 Fapstronaut

Zach Levi definitely seems like a good fit for this character from the trailers. Hopefully there will be some sort of cameo of Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam.

Deleted Account likes this.