1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My Bold (Daft?) Experiment with Tinder and Bumble

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by 1978, Mar 17, 2019.

1. 1978

1978 Fapstronaut

I've been using Tinder on and off for nearly a year, and Bumble for a few months. I've had some dates through Tinder, but none through Bumble yet (but I have had matches and messages).

One thing I've realised, though, is that the longer you are on these apps, the fewer matches you get. It seems that it can be a vicious circle where once you have been swiped left a lot of times you then get shown to fewer women. There eventually comes a "point of no return" where you no longer get any matches at all.

But I recently realised that you can just close your account and reopen it with the same details and you go back to the beginning and get more matches again.

So I decided to try something cheeky. I decided to see what would happen if I did something really bold and different to what I've done before. So yesterday I set up my profiles with a description saying:

"Good with my tongue, happy to go down, and eager to please. Your pleasure is my #1 priority. Satisfaction guaranteed!"

As of this morning, no matches on Tinder yet, but I have had some matches and one message on Bumble. HOWEVER, I've just received an email from Bumble saying this:

"Your profile has been moderated
    Bumble is a safe place to meet people, and we want everyone to feel comfortable in the Hive. We’ve received reports about your Bumble bio and kindly ask that you do not add inappropriate content to your profile. If this happens again, your account may be blocked."

I didn't receive anything like that from Tinder, though. But anyway, I have changed my profiles to say this:

"Looking for something casual to begin with, see what happens..."

The idea is to see what happens if I just aim for something casual. Up until now, I've played it more in such a way that I have been aiming for a relationship. But I'm just curious to see if there are many women out there who would be up for something casual, and to see if that would be easier than trying to find a full-on relationship, to begin with at least.

I'm not going to pretend I particularly know what I'm doing. But that's the whole point. I am experimenting to see what works. I'm messing about, because it doesn't really matter. If I mess it up, I can just delete my profiles and start again with a different tactic.

Life's too short to be too sensible all the time and worry too much. Sometimes you've just got to mess about and see what happens. Often playing too safe can hold you back, so sometimes it's worth trying something different for a laugh.

2. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

Interesting experiment, let's see how it develops.

Yeah that's simply down to geography, there's only a finite number of people on there and once you've been through the bulk of them you only get 'new' members. Those of us who live outside of large towns and cities are always going to run out of people quicker than those within.

Personally I hope your experimental 'casual' profile fails to yield anything. As someone who has tried to use dating sites to find something meaningful, it would be somewhat irritating to find that a low effort, casual approach yields better results. But we'll see...

3. 1978

1978 Fapstronaut

Well, I live in southern England, where you're never really that far from a large town or city. I live just 20 miles away from a reasonably large city, and I always set my radius to more than 20 miles.

4. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

So do I, coincidentally. I go for 25 - 30 miles as my radius. Given the state of the congested roads these days and appalling public transport provision, I don't really fancy meeting anyone much further out than that as I fear it may be doomed to failure, especially if they don't drive. But I think if I used Tinder intensively I would start to run out of matches in a couple of weeks.

5. 1978

1978 Fapstronaut

I think we are talking about two different things here. What you're referring to is when you actually run out of people to swipe on, which is due to there not being enough people in your selected radius. What I'm referring to is when you continue to receive plenty of people to swipe on, but you don't get any matches anymore because you're now placed really far down the queue of men that women are shown. This seems to be a known phenomenon that people tend to experience. And it makes perfect sense. The algorithm would be set to show either new or high quality men to the women, and over time you will get rated by the app in comparison to how well other men are succeeding on the app.

6. 1978

1978 Fapstronaut

Anyway, so here are the results so far.

Tinder: nothing.
    Bumble: several matches, and 4 women have messaged me.

That's reasonably good for such a short period of time. But I think it has less to do with my "casual" approach and more to do with having some better profile photos and also not including the bit in my profile about not wanting children.

7. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. So really the best chance of success for the average bloke is going to be the first few days before the algorithm 'demotes' you. Presumably both Tinder and Bumble work in similar ways.

8. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

May I ask how you are swiping people during this experiment i.e. are you swiping right on every woman or choosing as you normally would?

9. 1978

1978 Fapstronaut

Yes, this is what I'm finding. I tend to get a burst of matches at the beginning, then it eventually tails off into nothing.

Oh, very good question!
    I am not swiping right on all of them, but most of them. I am only swiping left on women that repulse me in some way, e.g. really overweight, far too much makeup, hairy face, seems to be insane, etc.

SpoonDog likes this.