1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the 10 commandments equal?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 18, 2019.

1. I think they are neither good nor bad, but they do reflect some side of balance that's not always obvious.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Catholicism recognizes different severities of sins and different circumstances make some sins worse than others. One major example of this is the differencebetween venial sins and mortal sins. I’m not sure how anyone in their right mind could say a white lie is the same as murder. Thars absurd

3. Is there a Biblical backing for that view?

4. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I don't think it's much of a biblical thing as much as it is a common sense thing.

5. Religion has us believe that the world is a problem. Humans are a problem and everything it itself is the problem. So we need rules when in reality all rules are just complete ignorance. Same with everything I'm telling you now. It's the truest of the true mate. Anyhow, everything is already in harmony as much as we like to try and believe its not. Everything is already perfect. You are perfect so why try and make yourself being above perfection? Let me re frame something.... This is to those who believe only god is perfect. What is god to you? A man? A women? Some being who created everything? Well I'll tell you what ever your beliefs are, it doesn't matter because if this god is perfect, then everything is perfect. Want proof? If god who is the ultimate and perfect creator created this universe and everything in it, don't you think god is a perfect artist too and thus, the perfect designer and architecture of the universe? God only creates god! Nothing to worry about here.

Everything is as it is. When one learns to finally accept that, nothing to worry about anymore. All I can say is that if you people tell me I'm a sinner or that I am not perfect my reply is this, If I'm not-perfect then the god is not really perfect after all. He screwed up with his creation.

6. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

That is obviously not true.
    If anything can be made better then it is not perfect.

Your missing premise is that God wanted to create a perfect universe (and failed), when in reality He gave us free will to make our own choices, good or bad.

7. Well I think "God" is a higher being than everything. But God is a force or entity imo. But it's a force that we cannot and frankly will not understand. So pretty much every religion personifies God to be able to understand this phenomenon better. And there is a force aka "God" bc life is an absolute miracle. If you look deep into the biology and how we got here. I don't think it could be a freak accident.

But the problem is people take the personification literally. But it makes no sense. Same w the bible. But you cant argue that stuff bc the counter argument for Christians is "it's in the bible." So it's talking to a brick wall

8. I can't really be part of this discussion anymore even though I'm the OP. Bc I ask important questions that make Christians (I'm christian) uneasy bc they can't answer these questions. Also people that are born into a religion or are solidified in one are usually incapabale of seeing other possibilities bc they were taught their way is the only right option. Which is very toxic imo.

9. brilliantidiot

I agree that that can be annoying, and I'm a Christian myself. I try to be more open minded when talking with non-christians, because since they don't believe in the bible it never gets anywhere. I try to argue from a point we can both understand, such as evidence for the existence of God etc
    edit, added an example

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  10. So I'm out. But the original question has been answered. Catholics believe the commandments are equal. And I understand their reasoning, I just don't agree w it but I don't have to.

Personally, and no I don't have "proof". Bit I think the group of old dudes who wrote the book (bible) low-key intended it to be in order. I say this bc in those times murder was not an intense concept. Disobeying your mom and dad was way worse than killing an innocent guy in those times, not present day obviously

11. Right on my guy

brilliantidiot likes this.
  12. If you leave god out, the universe defines perfection as itself, because what else is there to compare it to? Something in your head? Still in the uni. Different things are better for different tasks, but everything is "perfect" at what it does. This can help someone be nonjudgmental about their life.

God lets you make the choices you want to make.

Edit: I think I misread your post, but I still stand by what I said. xD

13. brilliantidiot

Compare it to more or less perfect things within the universe. How do we determine that? By our feelings. It is less-perfect to be raped, or to hurt etc, than it is to be well-fed, rich, and have a good wife. I get your point, but I disagree that the universe is by definition perfect, because there are more and less perfect things within the universe, and, as I said, something that is perfect cannot be improved.

14. But you are not only in the universe. You are the universe. So you saying something is more or less perfect is also defining how perfect that something is for your purposes. If you scale it up to cosmic proportions, there is only one purpose, the universe, and it's impossible for anything to not serve it, because it contains all, so all is perfect.

Perfection cannot be defined without purpose. That's the whole purpose of perfection, anyway. ;)

15. brilliantidiot

Just because it is contained in the universe doesn't mean it is perfect. The purpose may be perfection but the purpose may also not be accomplished.

Yes.

Also, Not everything can be scaled up to cosmic proportions and remain relevant. For example, in the cosmic sense it may not matter if you or I were to be tortured, but practically I think it matters very much.

16. No no no, everything has purpose, to be, and you can lament that about some things all you want, but it will always be so. Whatever it is that these things do, how they do it, that is their purpose. And the only way something could do it better is if it was that thing, but each and every thing has its own purpose, and it is perfect at being itself. The fact that the purpose of anything always corresponds to the purpose of everything means that it needs the rest of the universe to make up the universe as it is.

To judge something before you know its purpose is folly.

17. brilliantidiot

What do you think IS the purpose of the universe?

18. brilliantidiot

Actually, I see that you said in your post and that I overlooked it. In order just "to be" perfection is not required. The universe is no more or less perfect at being itself no matter what, as is everything else.

19. brilliantidiot

The simple answer is that I don't

20. Yes, there is and it can found in 1 John 5:16-18:

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that is not a deadly sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not deadly. There is sin which is deadly; I do not say one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not deadly. We know that anyone born of God does not sin, but He who is born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

There are sins that are considered deadly aka “mortal” and ones that are not which are considered not deadly aka venial. The distinction is that ones that are not deadly are the ones that do not remove sanctifying grace. Those are the type of sins that can be forgiven in the next life aka after death; To catholic this is called purgatory. The sins which are deadly cannot be forgive in the next life and kill the life of sanctifying grace in the soul. Those sins lead to hell. Christ talks about sins which will be forgiven in the next life and gives an example of one that won’t be in Matt. 12:32:

And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, nor in the world to come.

In short not all sins are equal. Not only is that insane but it would be agains the virtue of justice for God to hold that position.