1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

question for christians

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Apr 12, 2019.

1. I am a christian myself so i want to ask a question, my friend does not want his wife to get a tattoo, he said he is old fashioned and he does not believe christians should mark up there body, yet he is also the same person who abuses alcohol, smokes, has a huge beer belly, eats all the junk food he wants, so my questions is why do people like him think tattoos are bad but destroying his body with toxic "food", cancerous cigarettes , and destructive alcohol is fine?. Like damn the hypocrisy is strong.

2. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

Leviticus 19:28 is pretty solid evidence that God doesn’t really like Tats. As far as this guy destroying his body in other ways yea that not exactly something God promotes either...but just because someone is screwing up doesn’t give me the right to do it as well.
    God looks at my heart so I need to seek after the things that He likes. He spells them out pretty clearly in the Bible

3. Why don't you ask him? Yes, according to the Bible, God wouldn't like anything you just described, but we don't know this guy. We can't tell you why he thinks this because many people have many different reasons for having a certain worldview.

All I can say is because he's a hypocrite.

drac16 likes this.
  4. One difference is dietary habits and smoking are not permanent. He can change those. Tattoos are harder to remove then just stopping what you are doing. I have tats and I'm a Christian, I dont really get the opposition but I respect the stance. Isnt Christian freedom great?

5. Okay... couple things.

Number one, Leviticus is the Old Covenant, which no longer applies to us.

Number two, a few verses before that, God commands them not to wear clothing woven of two different materials. Pretty sure we are all probably doing that at this very moment.

And last but probably most importantly, number three, this verse is ALWAYS taken out of context!

The verse says "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves." There is SERIOUS reason to believe the words "tattoo marks" here do not mean what our modern selves think it means. People back in that day used to cut their bodies and mark themselves for the dead, like some kind of pagan/witchcrafty thing. It doesn't mean you can't draw a pretty picture on yourself.

Please, for the love of all that is Holy, look at CONTEXT. Context is so so so so (x200) important.

6. Maybe this makes me a jerk, but personally, I don't really respect the stance of people who claim that God is anti-tattoo, especially when the only reason they think that is because they are completely misunderstanding a piece of scripture. They're just wrong. The verse they quote to support their idea that God hates tattoos doesn't mean what they think it means.

I'm not hating on these people or anything, I'm just saying, they are wrong. They are saying God said something that he never actually said, because they're not looking at context and they're completely misunderstanding. So... yeah.

7. It's not being a jerk. I think if not getting tattoos is their personal sacrifice to God or it brings them closer to God to self impose a rule of some kind it's fine with me. I agree that arguing it as some great theological interpretation is a hard sell. That's why I mentioned freedom. We are given the ability to make 100s of personal judgements about our behavior without creating dogma.

Dr. Mario and Stragler like this.
  8. Oh yes, absolutely. I definitely agree with that. I just don't like it when people act like God gave some command that tattoos are bad, because that isn't true. It's a misunderstanding.

I actually GOT my only tattoo for that reason. I had just come back from a Women's Retreat, and I felt totally transformed by God and reminded of how everything I am and everything I have belongs to Him, particularly concerning time, money, and my body (i.e., not committing sexual sin). I immediately got the idea that I wanted to "brand" myself as belonging to God, in a place I will see often and can remind me that I belong wholly to him.

So like two days later I texted my tattoo artist friend and she gave me a small cross on my wrist. I love it. It is a constant reminder, not just of the message itself, but of that weekend at that retreat and God changing my heart in so many ways.

Dr. Mario and Deleted Account like this.
  9. I have Christ's head crowned with thorns on my arm :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. Awesome!

11. Stragler

Stragler Fapstronaut

Yea I see your point. The New Testament does free us from the Law. So if you want to mark up your Body that’s up to you. I don’t think it’s something that’s going to cause someone to lose their relationship with Jesus. Your body is your temple to the Lord. Use it in a way that you think would bring honor to Him.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Deleted Account and iLoveRain like this.
  12. iLoveRain

iLoveRain Fapstronaut

Beautiful reponse!

13. That's silly. God couldn't care less if you have a tattoo. As far as your buddy, he's hypocritical but so is the church. So I'm not shell-shocked here.

I don't have a tattoo (yet at least) but if you want one, get one.

Deleted Account and EthanW. like this.
  14. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

He is being fairly controlling, yeah. But diet and bodily markings/piercings are dependent upon cultural perception, it's not sinful to partake in those things, so long as you do not engage in idolatry (putting the practice or behavior above your relationship with God, and to a more personal extent than your faith in Christ). It's not really hypocrisy. Furthermore, she needs to respect and submit to her husband. It's a good thing he wants better for his wife, and if you perceive that to not be the case, bring the arguments from the Bible that make your case.

Exactly, it's a call to reject paganism.

15. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

were you asking a question or judging someone?

16. EthanW.

EthanW. Fapstronaut

Can I ask you both, what is the argument that symbols and imagery from the Bible, such as the crown of thorns or the cross, count as graven imagery? I overheard a discussion in which one Christian was saying you should never replicate any image or imagined object from Scripture, but I didn't get to listen to exactly why.

I figure it's an interpretation of the third commandment, but that is more to do with idolatry, no? Is the argument that it replicates a pagan tradition of inscribing symbols so it stands in idolatrous tradition? But that's not a Biblical concept, is it?

17. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

No because they are not idols. They are not meant to be worshipped as a substitute, but are more like reminders of the real thing.

18. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

It depends on the content of the tattoo. Is it a sin to get a verse or a cross? No. Is it a sin to cover your chest or back with a naked woman or a satanic symbol? yes.

19. That's interesting. I've only ever heard that from Eastern Orthodox, but it was explicitly statues not images. They obviously have tons of icons and paintings. I'm Catholic so we have tons of symbols, paintings, statues, sacramental, blessed objects, relics ect.

Early Christians used a fish symbol. Many venerated or held on to objects associated with Jesus and the faith like the shroud of Turin, blood and bones from saints, pieces of the cross. The tomb of St. Peter in inscribed with symbols from Christian pilgrims over the centuries. I dont really understand that position personally. It smells a tad of Puritanical nonsense that someone misunderstood.

EthanW. and SolitaryScribe like this.
  20. I've honestly never heard that before in my life, so all I can respond to is my initial thoughts in this moment. I would say that if it becomes an idol, then that's a problem. For example, it bugs me in horror movies when religious people come into a haunted house and put up a bunch of crosses, as if that means something, and simply holding up a cross is going to magically cast out demons. The objects don't hold any spiritual power in and of themsleves. And I think viewing them that way is raising them up to the level of God, which is idolatry.

But if you just see it as a reminder, then I think it's a good thing. Visual reminders are really beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2019
    EthanW. and Deleted Account like this.