1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have to make your bed?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Marcus Aurelius, May 1, 2019.

1. Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius Fapstronaut

This has always confused me. Every now and then I'll hear things like "9/10 successful people make their bed every morning" or "only 1 in 5 people make their bed in the morning".

When I wake up, I simply flip over the covers, get out of bed, flip the covers back, and that's it. My bed is made. It takes virtually no effort and I take no more pride in the fact that I do it every morning than I take pride in the fact that I open and close the front door every morning.

Am I missing something? Do most people toss and turn so badly that their sheets are untucked when they wake up and they have to basically remake their bed every morning? My sheets are almost always still tucked in when I wake up. Is that unusual?

2. Saturos

Saturos Fapstronaut

I think it depends. Making a bed might be hard for someone. It seems like it's easy for you but there may be another simple task that you may be neglecting to do daily that perhaps if you did, you'd be more successful.

3. I don’t think it’s the making of the bed that’s the point they’re trying to stress but more the fact that they have a morning ritual that fosters some form of discipline. When you’re disciplined you continue even when you don’t feel like continuing. The discipline to continue even when there is no motivation to continue. Most unsuccessful people have a discipline problem.

4. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

It goes beyond discipline in my opinion. I take care of my environment, making sure it's clean and orderly. It is a reflection of how I want my mindset to be. For example, doing the dishes after every meal, cleaning the apartment every weekend... Phrases like "successful people do X or Z" are just personal development hype crap, it's just common sense.

5. Good point @Bale. I’ve notice when my life and environment are chaotic and unorganized that it makes completing goals harder and sometimes impossible for me. For some there is a support and peace that comes from being clean and orderly. For others it can be a hell.

6. CThatch94

CThatch94 Fapstronaut

I have noticed lately waking up and making my bed I feel like doing more. Yesterday I made my bed and because now I have started a task for the day it made me want to do more smaller task. Cleaning my desk and then cleaning off my dresser. I think it helps me do smaller things that I normally would just ignore. It also felt pretty good to come home to a bed that looked nice and was made.

7. hardowner

hardowner Fapstronaut

I never understood why we should make our beds. What's the point? I never make it. I just push the blankets to the side and when I go to bed, I pull it back on me. If my mother does it, my blood pressure rises. She folds it 1 million times. The result is that when I want to go to bed, I need much more effort to arrange it. Usually, when I lie on the bed, I can't sleep and I get more angry...

recon117 likes this.
  8. seekagoodlife

seekagoodlife Fapstronaut

I never make my bed personally. Too much hassle and theres no point...Just flip the covers back and boom done.

9. ultrafabber

ultrafabber Fapstronaut

There may be a separate cover for the bed that's unrelated to actual sleep.

Many people just don't make their bed at all, they just let everything like it was when they woke up. So they should definitely do their bed but they don't, even if it doesn't take that much effort.

I think it's a very good sign on discipline.

10. Clean Willy

Clean Willy Fapstronaut

That is a ridiculous statement. You make it sound like some universal law (like a lot of things you say btw). I never make my bed, lol. :D There is no reason to. It has nothing to do with indiscipline. If it was necessary or important I would do it.

hardowner likes this.
  11. i dont do it but i want to do it if i have a bf lol..but we probably wont do it everyday..
    i think it keeps the bed cleaner..not that its so clean..but when you lay on it during the day unshowered when its undone it makes it dirtier as opposed to if you were to be on it when its made while unshowered and stuff..
    also the appearance is nicer when its made..nice appearances do make a difference in our lives whether its big or small.

boichy likes this.
  12. Bale

Bale Fapstronaut

13. I enjoy making the bed every morning. It is part of my tidying routine, and is one of the first things I do, since I start daily tidying in the bedroom. I work from home, so it is important for me to have an orderly, pleasant environment in which to spend my day.

But, yes, it does need to be made each day. The sheet and comforter are all wadded up and the pillows askew each morning. Putting it all back into some sort of order is, for me, a very good way to officially start the day. One thing set aright -- ten thousand to go! :)

kropo82 likes this.
  14. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I was gonna make a post about my bedroom habits etc. but I'm too tired and frankly who cares. I'll just leave this here:

boichy likes this.
  15. I always thought they said to do that because it helps "set the day", like if that's the first thing you do maybe it'll snowball into you being more productive throughout the day. While a well made bed looks brilliant, I think it's more about the act of doing it than anything.

16. My blanket and sheets get flipped all types of ways and diagonal, balled up. Idk if it's weird to keep sheets tucked in. My feet have just always over hung from the bottom of the bed and I move and stretch in my sleep so idk. But could be normal.

I don't make my bed alot of times which isn't good really. I just kinda throw my blanket the right way and fix the pillows. But I never tuck in my sheets or anything. Tbh, I hate tucked-in sheets. I always kick it immediately out. I always have to have a foot on the outside of the blanket.

boichy likes this.
  17. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

I only have to make the bed after your mom comes over.

18. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

I never make mine.

19. Clean Willy

Clean Willy Fapstronaut

This is pretty similar to me years ago, lol. :D But these days I just have a fitted under sheet and that's it. I just need to punch my pillows into submission when I am ready to get horizontal again. ;)

20. SuckMyKiss

SuckMyKiss Fapstronaut

I think it is not a big deal. Making bed is just simple a choice but a messy room can make somebody unmotivated. This is the point.