1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is 30 minutes cardio in the gym and 30 minutes doing weight training too much?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anonymous86, May 7, 2019.

1. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

I'm curious to know.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. No, that sounds pretty good to me, actually.

Deleted Account, CH3RRY and 19conquer like this.
  3. No, you're good. The most I will go for is 1 hr cardio in the morning and 2 hours lifting weights, later in the day. A lot of athletes train several hours per day. Just make sure you take at least one day off per week to rest.

CH3RRY, Anonymous86 and 19conquer like this.
  4. Anonymous86

Anonymous86 Fapstronaut

What kinds of cardio do you recommend at the gym? 15 minutes on the treadmill and then 15 minutes on the elliptical? What do you think?

5. Yeah, nothin wrong with that. I use a bike every morning because I have one at my place. Running is best for releasing dopamine and good too for burning fat. I like to mix it up so I don't get bored. Go fast for cardio and some muscle building. A slower pace for a longer period of time that works up a good sweat is better for fat burning.

Anonymous86 likes this.
  6. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

You might also do interval, a simple interval technique is to alternate between different intensity exercises, like bike, treadmill and rowing machine. Do about 3 minutes of each twice and you have a really good interval session of about 20 minutes.

High intensity interval may involve going between lifting and cardio, the key thing is there are rest periods whether it's just not doing anything between sets of weights or doing something lighter. It's actually kind of weird to talk about lifting in terms of time (but cardio obviously makes sense) because as far as weights you probably want to track reps and amount of weight more than anything, and maybe do a "pyramid" like first one is lower, then ramp up, then ramp down but keep working so that you exhaust all the energy.

And don't forget about recovery - stretch, nutrition..

7. ClickClickBoom

ClickClickBoom Fapstronaut

That depends on a lot of factors, your goals, the amount of calories you consume, the quality of calories you consume, the type of training you preform

Best wishes,

8. I'm actually doing 3 hours of gym (weight) per day (5 days at week).

And I go to the gym walking (it's like 1800mts from home so I walk at least 3600mts per day 5 days at week).

What I'm trying to say?
    You should train 'till you're tired as damn fuck. Everyone is different, you should spend all your energy on gym!

9. Euphorer

Euphorer Fapstronaut

That's magnificient! You seem to be a hard worker. Probably in some time you'll get very fit!

10. CThatch94

CThatch94 Fapstronaut

Nope it's not much but why not take that 30/30 and just combine it into 1 for a day. Spend 1 hour doing cardio one day and another day make it 1 hour for strength??????

11. Highjacking OP's thread with a similar question (I apologize) - I'm an utter gym beginner, and 30kgs overweight; for now I'm going to the gym 4/5 times a week, and the only thing I do is Couch to 5k, which is for now about 20mins long but will lead to 30mins of cardio three times a week. I also have a 30mins bodyweight program provided by a gym coach but never have the time to do it and it's kicking my butt SO MUCH. Since I go to the gym before work I usually don't have the time to do more than 30mins, and I can't afford taking the membership that would allow me to go to the gym in the evening. Should I still try to exercise more or is it enough for my level? I for example could go run in the weekend but it's very difficult with my parents at home. Thank you!

12. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I like to work in exercise throughout the day where it won't take up extra time, for example it could be as simple as doing an interval where you alternate between running and walking - maybe for when you are actually traveling somewhere. (here most everyone drives even if they can run/walk/bike to the destination)

Why is it hard to go when your parents at home? I mean it doesn't have to take a lot of time.

Also don't neglect recovery, so it might be good to double up on the days you already work out rather than add another day. And one of the best things for recovery is making sure you get enough sleep - the Flying Start and No Screen challenges may be good to support that since it covers both going to sleep and getting up. With getting up in the morning you should find a natural rhythm and not force it, in other words ideally don't use an alarm clock and let your body naturally finish the sleep cycles. Once you are stabilized in the schedule you'll find you can wake up an hour early by willing it so if you know in your mind you need to wake up early the next day, but that should be the exception rather than the rule.

13. Gideonite

Gideonite Fapstronaut

It's definitely not too much. It all depends on your goal though. If you want to gain muscle size and build strength, then I would decrease the amount of cardio to 15-20 min and increase weight lifting to about 45min-1,30h
    I personally do that 5-6 times a week and it is working very well.
    But if you are looking to become a long distance runner or something, then swap the amount of time you do the weight lifting and running.

14. Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! To cut a very long story short, it's hard because of my father, for some very complex reasons I absolutely DO NOT want him to know I exercise. I don't want him to see me in gym clothes or ready to go run. So it limits a lot what I do in the weekends. I'm going to try to take your advice on travelling, I have a 45mins walk home or a 20mins subway ride, I could choose to walk.

Awedouble likes this.
  15. koolpal

koolpal Fapstronaut

Sounds good.
    Used to do 1-hr. cardio/step class, then 1-hr. weights, as a max per day.
    Now, 1-hr. cardio/zumba/weights class, then 1-hr. yoga/taichi/pilates for recovery (or backwards as a warm-up).

16. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Heck no. Maybe not enough.