1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I am a third year law student and I need your help. I don't know whether studying law is for me.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by J-CAT, May 20, 2019.

1. J-CAT

J-CAT Fapstronaut

Hi everyone,

I'm in my third year of law studies. For the first two years of my education, I did not work as hard as I could have done and as a result, my grades were only mediocre. This year I was on study abroad and I began to work harder because I decided that I would dedicate myself to a career in law and to being a great lawyer. Though I have often received high grades this year, I have the tendency to forget what I have learned pretty quickly and have to put in a lot more work than everyone else in my class (or at least so it seems to me), yet I still struggle to understand the content. I feel like things struggle to stick in my brain, though I am pretty intelligent and know a lot about the world.

What should I do? Should I continue giving my all for law? Or find another career? Please share your advice with me!

Khufu, Beekind, lvcas and 1 other person like this.
  2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Do you really want advice from a bunch of strangers that don't know who you really are or what's good for you to make a crucial decision about your career and future?

If so, then I think you should start up a career in bakery with a part time business in landscaping. Also rhythmic gymnastics and piano for hobbies. Gay marriage and only 1 adopted child. You will also move to a small village in Russia.

3. J-CAT

J-CAT Fapstronaut

Thank you, elevate.

I am the one who has to take responsibility for my own life and who must guide his own decisions, for no one else has the potential to make the right decision for me but me and no-one else knows more about it than me.

I AM going to be a lawyer and I'm going to work my ass off for it.

Thanks man.

Peace.

4. Yarn

Yarn Fapstronaut

Hello, mate

I don't know if it still bothers you, but I have exactly the same problem. The only difference between what you've wrote and my case is that I study theoretical physics. Yes, it's very difficult to earn good grades, you need to study a lot in order to achieve those A+. And that's why certain things don't stuck in your mind: the pace the education process goes is a way too high. I've notice that sometimes it's more important for me to pass the exam rather than actually understand the subject.

This summer I've started to work on my research paper. And you know, the way i educate myself is very different from the way I obtain knowledge at the uni. It's still very difficult to understand all the topics I'm working on, but I know that every single one is useful for me and I actually use this things writing an article. So, don't worry much that you forget certain things. Whenever you need them, you'll either remember them or will be able to find the specific literature and recall your knowledge. Also, you will definitely remember all the things that are really important for you.

By the way, if you still consider the advice from @elevate, I live in a small village in Russia. What about gay marriage, I can't help you here, but I would like to practice piano together.

lvcas likes this.
  5. Hi J
    Regardless of what career path you choose you need to be able to focus.Perhaps law is not for you.However abstaining from PMO is vital to gaining success in life.
    This must take priority.Only you can decide what path is the right one!

6. Silver36

Silver36 Fapstronaut

I am dumb so i cannot give my opinion.
    Here is an opinion of someone I respect:
    'You will never be happy if your occupation is just the means to an end'
    Meaning that if you become a lawyer just for money, and do not enjoy practising law...then your mental state will continuosly decline.
    May I ask from which country you belong?

Khufu likes this.
  7. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

This reminds me of the 3 types of work one can do in their life:

1. The job
    You have to weather it through, you dislike it, you have a boss and probably most of us are involved in it because of our slave mentality, the "oh, I have to make a living" mentality. Some of us don't have much choice, one would argue.

2. The career
    You truly like the domain you work in and try to advance and change things in this area, you strive to become better and better in this domain and burnout is unlikely to come to you because you really like what you're doing. There are not as many people with real careers, but you can think of families of politicians that follow similar paths, they have careers; or various types of surgeons that feel in flow when operating, they keep doing it until their hands start to shake, because they love the feeling and what they do. The state of flow is usually equaled to career.

3. The calling
    Here you'll find very few people, it's reserved usually for guys like Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Jack Ma, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson, people that are above any domain and they are probably constantly in flow. For them there's no distinction between work and play, work IS play and they play every day, they don't separate private life from work, because their private life is work (or play).

8. Freedom_from_PMO

Freedom_from_PMO Fapstronaut

Are you studying civil/continental law, common law or some other system? Why have you decided to study abroad? Are you good in practical excercises?

You will forget a lot of things during law studies, while quoting paragraphs from memory might be impressive, there is simple no way to memorise every piece of information, even average civil code is far too long to be fully memorised (while being a tiny piece of overall picture) and there is no need to do so.

9. Google Bruno Furst. Then please post to say what you think.

10. JEBF

JEBF Fapstronaut

I'm also a law student, i'm in my fourth year and i had the same thoughts as you did. I found out that law school wasn't for me in the 3rd year as well, but since i have a full scholarship, decided to not abandon ship. Instead i found my passion, which is to be a military officer and i carry my law studies along with my studies for the military officer program exam, this way i'll have a degree and still have the opportunity to join the military.

My advice is: find what you want first before getting out of school, and if you already found it, see if you can carry both at the same time, if not drop one and pursue the other, if yes, well, you'll have a degree and still be chasing your dreams.

Dexter Moran likes this.
  11. YHRK

YHRK Fapstronaut

I advice you to stay on the track and don't loss the years that you invested at law school. Take this advice from someone now is preparing for the bar exam with a tremendous hard work. Someone who speaks English as second language and hold LLM degree and LLB from Jordan. Don't lose all of those years , everything will pass even if we didn't pass , we keep trying until we reach the goal

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  12. Archangel VIII

Archangel VIII Fapstronaut

No one really remembers the content they've learned from university/college - even some of the smartest don't. I myself got a few distinctions and don't remember fucking shit (without a refresher). The main purpose of a degree is just to prove to employers that you have the brains and will to finish a 4 year (and beyond) course - the real learning happens through practical experience at work.

Reborn16 likes this.
  13. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Hey, thanks. I'm just a passer-by with my own questions, and you've paved a path for my own dreams, I think. Best!

JiminyCricket likes this.
  14. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze Fapstronaut

That is the spirit! Rock on!

DeterminedRebooter likes this.
  15. Divine By Design

Divine By Design Fapstronaut

I think you should consider whether you like what you're doing, rather than whether it seems easier for others than for you.

When I studied finance, one of my classmates was from a somewhat unconventional background. He had been doing things relating to stage performance in high school and did not have natural talent for more quantitative subjects. However, he really wanted to learn and he put in a lot of effort and probably worked the hardest out of all of us and in the end, he did better than most of the more "naturally talented" people. Now he has a very well-rounded background with a good understanding of the quantitative side of things, and seems to be doing pretty well in life.

If you ever get your hands on Jordan Peterson's '12 Rules for Life', then I'd recommend checking out chapter 4: "Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not to who someone else is today".

16. Beekind

Beekind Fapstronaut

Ask God / the universe ( or whoever you believe in).
    "God, help me find my life's mission.
    God help me choose what's good for me and for the world".

Or something similar. You don't need to be religious. This universal intelligence, is always ready to help and answer your questions.

And it is always right

CoolmanSantizz likes this.
  17. InappropriateUsername

InappropriateUsername Fapstronaut

You didn’t mention anything about liking/disliking the subject of law or why you study it.

your difficulty instead is retaining the information you’ve learned and making the grades you want. Is this about how you study/retain knowledge ? B/c you will have that problem no matter what you study.

my advice:learn a trade. More money, more opportunities and way less debt. Job security.

CoolmanSantizz and Dexter Moran like this.
  18. resilient bastard

resilient bastard Fapstronaut

Hello man,

i think this is due to lack of motivation. But how do you know that you are motivated for the subject LAW if you didn't made any practical experience? I really suggest before canceling your study first complete an internship in a subject you are interested in. Than you will acknowledge if you can imagine to work the next 30 - 40 years as a lawyer or any other option with LAW degree. After that you gain the proper Motivation to finish study or you say "nope, i am out".

CoolmanSantizz and Dexter Moran like this.
  19. ricardopandelan

ricardopandelan Fapstronaut

First off, don't be too hard on yourself. Law is a beast, and everyone has their own learning curve. It's common to feel like you're putting in more effort than others, but we all have our struggles. As for whether to stick with law, it might be helpful to consider what drew you to it in the first place. If the passion is there, explore different areas within law that align with your interests. That article on choosing the right lawyer has some great insights, especially about factors to keep in mind in New York City. Check it out: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/need-whistleblower-lawyer-las-vegas-here-what-look/. Lastly, don't hesitate to talk to professors or career advisors. They've seen it all and can provide valuable guidance.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  20. Homo sapien.

Homo sapien. Fapstronaut

• See videos about what a Law student can do after studies and during studies and if that relates or makes sense or motivates you you will have a reason to do LAW.
    • Watch about lawyers on the internet. Like what they are doing.
    • Google it and open the news tab there, you will see alot about your questions and what is happening the lawyers in the world.
    Bro, you are talking about what to do and I'm like whatever Im doing will matter only If i become able to control my relapsing!
    But a salute to you, you are talking about what to study even on NoFap.
    BTW
    May you get there.