1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Literature and Philosophy Books - Reviews/ Recomendations

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by nickreb90, May 20, 2019.

1. nickreb90

nickreb90 Fapstronaut

Good morning everyone!

I don't know if any of you are interested in philosophy and literature. I have been reading a lot recently (so much free time due to NOFAP) and I must say I like it a lot.

What I like the most is that philosophy books are much deeper than blog posts for example. I read an excerpt and I have to reread it. Perhaps the most interesting part about philosophy books is that you get to understand more things about the world we live in.

A blog post with great book recommendations is the following:
    https://practiceandrepetition.com/9-must-read-literature-philosophy-books/

Currently reading: Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle

What's your experience with books, philosophy, and reading?

Do you read at all?

Nick

Freedom_from_PMO likes this.
  2. nickreb90

nickreb90 Fapstronaut

I would like to add some more of my favorites in the self-help and motivation genre:
    -12 Rules for life
    -Think and Grow Rich
    -How To Win Friends and Influence People

3. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
    Principle Doctrines and Letters by Epicurus
    On the shortness of life by Seneca
    Plato’s dialogues

Those are hard to read (not as difficult as Kant, but still hard) and will make you question your beliefs.

To me, Epicurus is the man to go to. If he’d be alive today, Man, he’d kick ass!

Enjoy!

Freedom_from_PMO and nickreb90 like this.
  4. nickreb90

nickreb90 Fapstronaut

I have ordered Meditations by Marcus Aurelius as it has been recommended to me many times and can't wait to read it.

Stoicism is a philosophy I've been meaning to deep into.

Thanks for contributing to the post! @properWood

properWood likes this.
  5. Freedom_from_PMO

Freedom_from_PMO Fapstronaut

Classics: Aristotle and Plato are great. If you like them and if you are christian or interested in it I recommend Thomas Aquinas.

nickreb90 likes this.
  6. Excellent and wise posts here. Good to see.

nickreb90 likes this.
  7. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Sure!

Just one word of caution, from my perspective, regarding stoicism. Most of its teachings, in my opinion, so I may be wrong, are more on the negative aspects of life, how to prepare for them. I find very little joy in it, it makes me overthink. But hey, if you find it useful, knock yourself out :D enjoy!

8. nickreb90

nickreb90 Fapstronaut

I guess it depends a lot in the phase you are in life.

If you are good psychologically it makes sense to study stoicism or any other books that talk about the negative aspects of life. Dostoyevsky's books are another example.

If you are feeling a little down, it makes sense to read a motivating or inspiring book.

A quality book is a quality book. Even if we don't agree with everything it says.

properWood likes this.
  9. johntitor96

johntitor96 Fapstronaut

hi nickreb90

I'd recommend anything by Viktor Frankl or his students Elizabeth Lukas. Currently reading one of her works and want to read them all one day.
    Frankl was in detention in not 1, but 4 concentration camps in WW2 and managed to survive and find a meaning in life after that even if he's lost his whole family and many friends (in fact he even managed to found a new psychology school called "logotherapy")

Well this isn't strictly philosophy but it's a branch of psychology that focusses on life and finding a meaning in everything.
    Anyway it's highly motivational and probably one of the main reasons why i decided to change my life which was the first step in discovering nofap.

I would recommend it to any human being anyways but especially if you are interested in philosophy, since this (in my humble opinion) more philosophically valuable than some modern philosophists.

Sorry for the long post :emoji_grimacing:

properWood likes this.
  10. Watanabe

Watanabe Fapstronaut

Go Russian, Tolstoy War and Peace and Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment. 2 books I felt I had to read for what they have to offer in terms of great works of literature and philosophy. Both were a real challenge to me though and I did struggle with war and peace especially, simply due to the size of the work, some real nuggets to be found within the pages though. I also enjoy some stoicism and Frankls work.