1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

dressing sharp is important

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by doubledee, Mar 20, 2015.

1. doubledee

doubledee Fapstronaut

I recently spent money I'd usually waste of junk food and other useless things on a new wardrobe.. My confidence has greatly increased along with my self respect..

2. Baroque

Baroque Fapstronaut

Wearing nice clothes can definitely increase confidence. I'm glad you posted this as you reminded me I need to buy new shirts and throwout my faded ones.

3. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

Clothes are just a fabric of material it's your mind that makes you more confident beacuse you think you look
    "sharper". A man should feel confident not of some superficial stuff like that but of his charcter & values.

4. doubledee

doubledee Fapstronaut

My character and values are very strongly linked to my self image and my self respect.. Don't try and tell me what a man "should " good job on the 16 press ups btw

5. Keymash

Keymash Fapstronaut

The only time in my 4 and a half decades when a female as ever shown any indicators of interest it was at a conference. One of the first things she told me was that although I was dressed down I seemed totaly comfortable in my skin. It wasn't a suit and tie thing and to be honest I never even noticed I was underdressed. I did call before the conference to make sure there was no clothing expectations. I would not have bothered if there was. I hate dressing up.

6. Thanatos

Thanatos Fapstronaut

It's just another form of communication.
    Usually I'm communicating that I'm a laid back slacker, but I'm the opposite deep down.
    I'm driven and motivated. I will do what it takes to get what I need done.
    Perhaps my wardrobe should start reflecting that... hmm.

7. Keymash

Keymash Fapstronaut

They say that you should be yourself because if you are someone else, you will attract people to that something else but when they find the real you, you will be the one to get told to sod off.

In my case I am a laid back slacker and my clothing suits me fine. I hate dressing up in a monkey suit and a monkey tie. No offense to those real life Barney Stinsons out there, keep doing what you like.

8. opoijj

opoijj Fapstronaut

Word that's how i value myself to. I guess you just want to be w the best version of yourself. Good job astronaut

9. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

To me dressing sharply is just like putting make-up for women - they try to create an illusion of better self image so they could feel more "beautiful". While using make up does indeed make them more beautiful, their confidence is based on an illusion, of what others (society) thinks of them. I have nothing against dressing sharp if it is for some institution that requieres it, after all it is mandatory and therefore your wardrobe should could be easily based around it, beacuse of comfort. But dressing sharply just to impress others seems absolutely fake to me. If your self image is truly linked to your character and values express them with your behaviour to everyone around you and towards the world. Not with clothes. I'm not saying you should dress like homeless guy, dress like you feel comfortable, not like others might like you(and therefore others liking you you would like yourself). I hope you get what I mean. But by all means if clothes have some placebo effect on you and actually make you feel more confident go for it. It is definately better then junk food like you mentioned. I respect everyone's opinion but I always stand my own. Cheers man.

10. cg1854

cg1854 Fapstronaut

I pretty much agree with this. Lately I've started more often wearing a dress shirt and tie and even a waistcoat. I feel good and want to look nice, but that's also just how I like to dress. I don't expect every other guy to dress like it's the Victorian era. I don't dress up that much every day. Heck, right now I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

But I just don't understand people who don't seem to put any effort at all into their appearance. The people who go out looking like they literally just rolled out of bed and walked out the door. Don't wear your pajamas or your bathrobe to the store. It's one thing if you're stopping somewhere after leaving the gym or need to run somewhere at eleven pm, but when it's the middle of the day? At least pull on some jeans and a t-shirt and fix your hair. Put on shoes, don't wear your slippers to the library. It takes less than five minutes to do that much.

11. kitty fukr

kitty fukr Banned

Haha that's funny because I feel swagged out wearing some casual ass shit like tank top with fleece shorts.
    I'm just too hip hop to dress up. Wear jammies bros if that makes you feel good about your look.