1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

For books lovers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Targaryenn, May 15, 2019.

1. The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris. by far the best biography I've ever read, it's really well written and was obviously tirelessly researched. I'm on the second book of the trilogy now

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Keys2TheCastle

Keys2TheCastle Fapstronaut

I'm in the last third of William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist and it's pretttttttttty slow. The entire time I'm reading about Regan and the doctors trying to diagnose her ailment is pretty drawn out, so I hope the last bit's worth it. Thinking about watching the movie once I'm finished sometime this week.

As for recommendations, I'm going to get on my soapbox and suggest the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake. Seriously, Peake's work is phenomenal because it has wicked colorful prose and awesome characters. The trilogy is a must-have if you like gothic fiction or sprawling castles (Dracula would blush at the size of the Gormenghast castle). Fair warning, the third novel, Titus Alone, goes into a weird spot where I got confused about what timeline or era the story was taking place (helicopters, cars) and might be disappointing in comparison. Also, you gotta keep track of the many characters in the story or else forget about a crucial death or two like I did the first time I read through it.

3. One Strong Girl

One Strong Girl Fapstronaut

I'm obsessed with crime/psychological thrillers!

Any recommendations are welcomed.

4. Wankeroni

Wankeroni Fapstronaut

Diary of a serial killer by Shawn Williams Davis

5. Everyone was hyped about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for a while.

6. These have been out for forever, so you've probably already read them, but if not, Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train are both great!

7. One Strong Girl

Thanks!

Never heard of it! What is it about?

I’ve read both! Actually, Gone girl was my first ever thriller! Really smart and I absolutely loved the story being told from two sides.
    The girl on the train is good too, a bit slow paced in the beginning, but totally shocking.

8. Totally! That book is one of my very favorites. I had already seen the movie by the time I read the book, unfortunately, but I still loved it. The writing is beautiful, too.

9. One Strong Girl

I read the book when it first came out (like 5 years ago) I still refuse to watch the movie! I love books more than movies as I like to imagine how the characters look and the settings and all. Movies based on books kinda disappoint me.

10. Most of it takes place in a small Swedish town. A female hacker and a male journalist investigate a decades old case of a young girl who disappeared. The main theme of the book is sexual abuse.

11. kittyintheworld

kittyintheworld Fapstronaut

I miss novel reading honestly.
    My exam has taken my books away from me

12. One Strong Girl

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

13. One Strong Girl

Whenever I had exams, I’d read a couple of pages after studying as a way to relax (I read almost every night that it became a routine thing before bed). Maybe try that?

kittyintheworld likes this.
  14. Ambrose Grant

Ambrose Grant Fapstronaut

I am reading it nowadays. Have you read other two books?

15. Big fan here of John Grisham and Michael Connelly. I'm pretty much all caught up with Grisham but also going in order with Connelly's books and just finished "Angels Flight". Highly recommend Michael Connelly too!

16. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

3/4 through Anti-Intellectualism In American Life, putting Educated by Tara Westover on my list..

17. Not yet.

18. Some recent reads:

Death By Choice - Masahiko Shimada
    Nine to Five - Thom Racina
    Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
    The Tale of Genji - Murasaki Shikibu
    La Peste - Albert Camus
    Dragonquest - Anne McCaffrey
    The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
    The Jungle - Upton Sinclair

The Jungle kind of got me really bad!
    I remember that I wanted to put it down many times, but still continued because I had to. Though after reading about a third of the book, the characters and the astonishing courage they showed in the face of their misery put me back in my place, and gave the story (till then dull and very "normal") a whole new dimension.
    Not to everyone's taste though.

19. kittyintheworld

kittyintheworld Fapstronaut

ughh dont trust me with my books .. hehe i have 60 around books its never 5 pages and sleep ..

i remember my last exam two day before it i was reading a ebook sitting on my bed and crying my eyes out all night long..

and i did not get over what had happend i was just so distracted bcoz of the character death so no 5 pages reading for me

20. One Strong Girl

Lol I know! I have these moments with so many books! I literally stay awake until morning to finish them. But during exams, I’ll try to read no more than 2 chapters.

Finishing a good book with a tragic end makes me feel heartbroken lol I don’t recover for awhile even when reading a new book I’d be thinking about that hahah.