1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 20, 2018.

Should this thread be moved back to the Self Improvement board?

1. Hell yes!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Hell yes!

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. No.

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Emerald Pool Trail, Zion National Park

[​IMG]

one of my favorite short hikes of all time. the upper trail was chewed up from a flash flood so it was only 1 mile both ways. it was the perfect hangover hike lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

DSCF6747.jpg DSCF6819.jpg DSCF6840.jpg DSCF6841.jpg DSCF6859.jpg DSCF6885.jpg DSCF6897.jpg

Here was my take on a recent airshow.
    f-15E
    A-10
    f-16
    C-17
    f-35A

3. brilliantidiot

Thanks. They were supposed to have a B-2 flyby and a stratofortress demo as well, neither happened and needles to say I was pissed. However, it was still a great show.

4. this weekend was a huge milestone for this hobby of mine. up until yesterday I've been editing all the pictures I've taken using cheap mobile editing softwares, and I was doing all of the editing from my phone. well I finally cracked and purchased both Adobe lightroom and photoshop for editing, and I'm gonna start editing from a proper computer so I can really see what's going on.

there's a lot to soak up with these softwares, so I'm gonna take it one step at a time. the first two features I want to gain proficiency in are 1) minimizing haze in landscape shots and 2) how to photoshop out distractions within the frame. to quote a photography friend of mine, "one of these days I'm gonna take a chainsaw and cut down all these goddam powerlines." I guess he doesn't like editing too much

[​IMG]

two big distractions here -- utility poles and an annoying roadside guardrail. on top of that, a small bit of haze affecting the detail of the mountain, and some harshness in the whites due to my unfortunate midday shooting (rookie mistake)

P R E S T O
    [​IMG]

the next feature I really want to get down is editing dark shadows. this is something that has affected a lot of my photos in the past, case in point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's gonna take a lot of trial and error to get used to this software, so my next few pages in this topic will probably be dedicated to addressing previous photographs with Adobe so I can get in some good reps. if anyone has any cool edits of their own photos, I'd love to see them 8)

5. Hffjehijr

Hffjehijr Fapstronaut

a lot of beautiful photos here! GJ lads! Tell me, do any of you use photoshop to apply effects to your photos? I'm curious, how long does it take you? And how long did you learn this? I'm currently editing photos either with effects on my phone or with online services. Sooner or later, I will have to master an editor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
  6. Mr.Anka

Mr.Anka Fapstronaut

This is great thread. I liked it so much and I believe it is really important gain new habits to beat this addiction.

7. [​IMG]

revisiting old photos so I can practice post processing. it's tedious and involved and is really exposing my far-reaching impatience. I'm learning that less is more with editing. onward

8. Mr.Anka

Mr.Anka Fapstronaut

I cannot see your images do have an idea?

9. brilliantidiot

N2S Stearman taking off. Not too many of these left, especially flyable. This is a screen shot from a video I took which is why its not 100% clear.

Untitledyyy.png

10. [​IMG]

neat shot I got as a single celled thunderstorm was drawing near me. I like the idea but there are two takeaways I got that could have improved the shot

• no subject! it's just another boring lightning picture with an empty foreground. running around the shrubs with a thunderstorm less than 3 miles away while holding a literal lightning rod would be profoundly stupid. I need to scout locations ahead for each direction so I have a spot in mind for whatever photogenic storms come by
    • slightly out of focus. lightning photography during daylight is tough because the length of the exposure is limited, so I had to shoot in bursts which is sort of a crapshoot. I guess the lense got out of focus somehow while I was shooting, and I was too occupied with the shots to double check. bummer
    there are a thousand mistakes a photographer can make with every picture. I'm knocking out these mistakes one by one with every session

11. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Awesome!!! I love lightning shots :).

12. Pinkdewyrose.jpg
    therer little specs of dirt or something on the top left n rightt..but whatever :/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2019
  13. pew pew

[​IMG]

I gotta say, steadying a tripod is pretty hard with 30 knot gusts and a healthy dose of wind shear raining upon you.

14. I love this shot you took and I adore lightning! :+)

15. One I took a while ago on my phone.

FC5042F7-D7F8-49F3-90A1-C650D96FA765.jpeg

16. Is that Mt. Rainier?

17. It is! The place I took that pic is called Shadow Lake...for obvious reasons. lol