1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent fasting and building up weight?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Deleted Account, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

Recently I heard some positive things about intermittent fasting (as less time spent on meal preperation, better sleep,...) and the concept makes sense to me aswell (looking at the stone age where food was scarce...).

But I want to add weight and not loose it. I am rather skinny and it is very hard for me to gain weight. When I was lifting I gained weight, but only when I ate 6 times a day until I nearly exploded...

Does anyone of you had some experience with gaining weight with intermittent fasting? Would be perfect if also a skinny body typ.

Kiz Whalifa likes this.
  2. Qhytrg

Qhytrg Fapstronaut

The key Is to eat alot of carbs i gained a Lot of weight eating just rice in all my meals. Buy some mass gainers and don't eat too fitness. The most important thing Is to eat alot of carbs and the necessary protein for your muscles

Kiz Whalifa and Deleted Account like this.
  3. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I disagree with this. But I'm not saying that you're wrong or that I'm right. I'm not a nutritionist and I might be wrong, I just want to share my perspective here.

I don't think one should eat too many carbs. Especially, try to not eat anything with added sugar or artificial sweeteners, that shit is bad in all sorts of ways. A moderate amount of carbs might be fine, from things like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.

I would suggest putting on some weight first, and then perhaps trying intermittent fasting. I would suggest adding butter and oil to all your meals.

All of this is just advice, you can go out there and do whatever the fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff... fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck you wanna do.

Gideonite and Deleted Account like this.
  4. I understood that reference haha :)

5. briguy71

briguy71 Fapstronaut

ive been intermittent fasting for almost a year... My weight has stayed the same give or take 3 pounds in that time... I have put on a bit of muscle so it is possible to put on muscle being a intermittent faster.... And I never eat after a workout... The myth has been for years you need to eat a huge meal within a hour or working out... I don't eat sometimes between 6 and 9 hours after working out

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Gideonite

Gideonite Fapstronaut

I have been intermittent fasting for a while now and I always use it to cut and not to bulk. It is supposed to be beneficial in other aspects for you than to lose or gain weight, which you already know. The biggest benefit for me was to burn fat while maintaining muscle and also a heck lode of discipline. But since it all comes down to calories in and out, I would suggest to bulk up without fasting, and get big. Then you can use intermittent fasting to lose or maintain weight. Otherwise you will really have to squeeze in those big meals during those 8 hours (assuming you're referring to 16-8 fast). Good luck!

7. The key is consistency of good habits. You are going to fail now and again, some days you won't eat right and some days you won't exercise and lift weights. Just do something most of the time, e.g. do an 18 hour fast 4-5 times a week while eating a balanced diet focusing on protein and whole foods, lift heavy, get enough sleep, drink plenty of water. Don't worry about counting or reps - I find this really boring to do. Whatever your routine, it has to be consistent to yield results over a period of time.. bit like nofap! Just do rather than think and plan, then after a while you can adjust your routine to build on what you've gained

8. Gideonite

Gideonite Fapstronaut

Great advice, but I think this particular advice is a little misguiding, since his goal is to gain muscle. And the most important aspect when it comes to gaining muscle is to have progressive overload over a long period of time and how can one do that without counting reps?

9. I hear ya about the progressive overload, all I am saying is don't worry about counting reps to measure progress early on because it's easy to get discouraged when starting out

Gideonite likes this.
  10. Thanks for your reply :)

I am not new to lifting so I think that won't be a problem. I am really thinking only about IM + gaining weight.

Has anyone ever personally tried that?

I probably should just try it, worst thing happening is loosing a couple of kilos... :)

11. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

I'm not very familiar with IM but if you are trying to gain weight it is going to be a lot easier if you have more time throughout the day to eat, especially if you are not used to trying to get more calories in.

12. Go back and forth between bulking and fasting. Get your high calorie meals in pre and post workout (especially) and then go back to fasting. Fasting can actually help you gain muscle, too. It releases growth hormone into the body. Some people would also argue for a keto diet+fasting to build muscle and burn fat at the same time. I'm not an expert on these, but it may give you a good place to start to research into it on your own.

13. That's a really tough question to answer.....Anyone with a fair bit of experience in lifting knows that losing fat and building muscle at the same time is really complicated.

14. Kratos_GOW

Kratos_GOW Fapstronaut

If you plan on intermittent fasting your goal should be to loose weight. If yiu want to do the opposite then, then i suggest you lift weights, have a calorie surplus diet , try some mass gainer shakes or drinks.

15. SkoricFitness

SkoricFitness New Fapstronaut

5-6 small meals will do wonders to gain quality weight.

Intermittent Fasting can be used but most of the weight gained will be water and fat, unless you really know what you are doing.

3-4 meals with 1 or two smoothies is an excellent place to start when you want to add quality weight.

16. I've 18/6 fasted before, but only to loose weight.

I've loosely followed this debate over the years. From what I remember, the detractors point to the general literature suggesting frequent protein feedings being better for muscle protein synthesis among other things (including satiation) and reducing tissue breakdown that occur during caloric deficits (which occur in the fasting time). They also point to the general practice of successful bodybuilders of eating many meals a day. From Renaissance Diet 2.0, pg. 200: "Intermittent fasting is unlikely to kill you or cause you to lose all of your muscle gains, but it is not effective for best performance or body composition changes."

They also suggest, if you really like the setup of IF, eating small protein meals (like a protein bar) when you'd otherwise be eating meals during the fast.

The supporters point to evidence that meal frequency seems to make little difference in general body composition results in most studies, and tout the general benefits of IF (just read Berkhan's stuff). Really, I feel that side of the debate is a group of people who have gotten good results from IF trying to defend their practices and evangelize those who might also get results from it. I don't think IF is common among physique/strength athletes, though there are exceptions.

My advice: you said what works for you for gaining weight, so stick with that. The fitness industry is full of hype and new lifestyle ideas. Nothing is good as consistent workouts and good nutritional composition. Calories (assuming decent protein, training and recovery) are what matters for gaining, and if you require 5-6 meals a day to gain weight, then imagine what you'd have to do to pack it into 8 hours. On the other hand, if it seems workable and you want to try it then go for it. But it might be better to get big and fat first and then try IF on a cut.

17. Thank you very much for your really informative and well written post!

I am still not very busy in making a decision, I don't need to bulk up fast so I have time to think ;) The point with adapting IF for yourself, trying to get some benefits without a full fast (i.e. protein bars, small meals) is very reasonable.

Maybe I will do a very weak version of IF, eating from 7:00am to 6:00pm, so I would not go to sleep with a full belly. Going to sleep with a full belly is something that's really not working good for me, I regret it every time but I never thought about changing it. I think that's why IF seems so appealing for me, because then you have a reason (I am not allowed to eat now). So maybe I should not allow myself to eat after 6pm....

The thing is I don't really want to bulk up again, but it would simply be nice to have 5 to 10kg more on my body. But if I don't set it up to be a goal for me then I probably won't 'just gain weight'...

dwarfstruggles likes this.