1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dinosaurs and the Holy Bible

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

Are dinosaurs biblical?

1. yes, they clearly fit into the biblical scriptures

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. no, the theory of evolution provides a better explanation

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. I'm still on the fence about it

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Of course, you are correct. Jesus told his disciples and the bible is true.......but Jesus didnt tell you and me to heal the sick that is why we can't. Now God can do anything he wants but the sickness brings as much glory to God as the health. Like I said If God could be counted on to heal today, it would be a form of healthcare.

2. This is just a difference in theology thats all. I take it you are full gospel (all gospel examples are in full effect today) I am a Calvinist (covenant systematic theology) Were still brothers.

3. TheSlyFly

TheSlyFly Fapstronaut

4. Just so you know, it's also against the rules to announce that you've reported someone.

5. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Although technically he hasn't broken the rules since he hasn't publicly announced he's reporting a user. Maybe the rules need to include posts as well... Although I don't think people tend to announce they've reported a thread.

6. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

Bible isn't something you should read alone, OF COURSE YOU CAN AND MUST TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE, but since it's very very very old (and outdated) you need someone like fathers and scientist to update it's content. The trees and monkeys talking are nothing but stories btw, not history

7. Davinblake

Davinblake Fapstronaut

Super true, they just work on different fields, religion is psycology/philosophy and evolution is science

8. The Bible is complete, it doesn't need "updates". It's a book telling the story of Jesus Christ from the beginning to the end - including parts which haven't happened yet.

The Bible cannot become "outdated" as that would mean the Creator would contradict Himself.

Only fallible humans can contradict themselves and do all the time. Which is the reason why their theories become outdated all the time: flat Earth, geocentric model, eternal universe, big bang is next...

Religion is organized faith. Evolution is a theory.

Science is the application of the scientific method. That is in fact something else and it is pretty limited.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

Right. There are no apostles today except Paul for us. But you can not heal people like superpowers. However God can still perform miracles and use people for good.

Hebrews 6:1-3 (KJV) Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
    Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
    And this will we do, if God permit.

10. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I don't think it is. The Bible may not be but Christianity is. Now of course it depend on the Christianity one believes in.

[Watch from 16:21 to here him explain the conflict].

11. well it finally got moved haha

12. L1ttl

L1ttl Fapstronaut

Are you so ignorant about the Bible you claim to have faith in? Jesus did tell me and you to heal the sick.

In Mark 16 Jesus says to his disciples to go and preach the gospel, as we call it, the great commission. Then he also says:
    He says these signs will accompany those that believe the disciples, not the disciples themselves but the ones they are preaching to. That is a sign that should follow all believers.

Secondly, sickness does not bring any glory to God. It never did in the history of humanity (except for when they were healed). It also does not line up with the Scripture. The Bible ties sickness always to the works of the devil, just as in Acts 10:38.
    Luke 13 is another example (the healing of the woman on the Sabbath day):
    And if God can be counted on to heal today, then there would be a form of healthcare? Well then do some research about John Alexander Dowie who had a full city called Zion City that relied solely on God's healing power. They took no medication and there were no doctors. Do your research about John Lake who opened healing rooms in Spokane and in Africa and had 20,000 documented healings in 5 years in each place (a total of 40,000 documented healings). Take a look into A. A Allen, Oral Roberts, Kathryn Kuhlman, Smith Wigglesworth.. Take a look at the average believer today who knows who he is in Christ and should be walking in healing power.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  13. Ignorant eh? easy killer. Learned men have disagreed on theology for thousands of years. However, i can't resist one link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Kuhlman
    Following a 1967 fellowship in Philadelphia, Dr. William A. Nolen conducted a case study of 23 people who said they had been cured during one of her services.[12][13][14][15] Nolen's long term follow-ups concluded that there were no cures in those cases. One woman who was said to have been cured of spinal cancer threw away her brace and ran across the stage at Kuhlman's command; her spine collapsed the next day and she died four months later.[8][16][17]

14. L1ttl

L1ttl Fapstronaut

By now I would assume you know the devil attacks all men and women of God. That's how he is. You found a lie. You will find no video showing Kuhlman commanding someone to rise from a wheelchair and for him to collapse. Only healings, they are all present for you to view on youtube. You can find garbage anywhere, but it will always be baseless.

As for your learned men explanation. You obviously cannot explain the proof I provided for you, so you lean on men's wisdom. Oh yeah - the Bible talks about that too in Isaiah 29 - it actually prophesies this would happen.

If you are interested in real healing videos there you go.

More updated (today times):

If you want more, go out on the street and pray for someone. See what God can do when you only believe.

Mr. McMarty likes this.
  15. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

You're the one ignorant here: Jesus on Earth was talking only to Jews and NOT Gentiles like you and me probably (providing you're not a Jew) at that time (so even if you're a Jew, it doesn't apply to you now) because in Acts 7, Jesus decided to provoke to jealousy the Jews by saving a nation by faith alone in His blood atonement which is any Christian (Jew or non Jew) today. He didn't say to me and you to heal and all that He said to His apostles back then, He only said it to His disciples at that time. Otherwise we can just cut off Paul from the Bible, because Paul is our apostle who tells us clearly that these healing power especially are not for us today. If you study your Bible you will know it.

Matthew 10:5-6 (KJV) These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
    But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
    Matthew 15:24 (KJV) But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

You want to follow men and con artists that pervert the Bible, I follow what God said rightly dividing the word of truth.

16. L1ttl

L1ttl Fapstronaut

Jesus on earth was talking to believers who were at the time Jews. He did not tell them that those signs should follow the Jews that believe, but rather those who believe (to the ends of the earth) in Mark 16. The fact that later on the New Covenant was made open to the Gentiles has zero implications on what part of the New Covenant is open to them. You absolutely ignore every proof I provide and say a baseless argument that has nothing to do with healing. You also say that Paul "tells us clearly" that healing is not for today and yet provide not Scripture to back up that satanic statement.

Isaiah 53 prophesies not only that Jesus would forgive our sins, but also that we would be healed. That's talking about physical healing for the body. You can see that because in Matthew 8:17, it says that these healings that took place were the fulfillment of the prophecy spoken by Isaiah, “With his stripes we are healed.” It says this was the fulfillment that He Himself took our infirmities and bore our sicknesses. This is talking about physical sicknesses, hurts, and pains. Jesus healed people physically to fulfill the scripture that says we are healed by His stripes. The Bible goes on to say in 1 Peter 2:24, “Who his own self bare our sins in his own body, on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.” This is in the past tense. Jesus came, and part of what He came to do was heal your physical body. I am not diminishing the fact that He also came to forgive your sins. That’s important, and forgiveness of sins is like the doorway, the entrance to everything else, but He didn’t come only to forgive your sins. He also came to heal your body. In Greek, the word used for salvation in the New Testament is sozo, an all-encompassing word that applies to many different things. But if you look it up, it’s also translated “healed.” James 5:14 states: “Is any sick among you? let them call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; And prayer of faith shall save the sick.” The word “save” there is the Greek word sozo, and it is talking about the sick being physically healed in their bodies. This same word that was translated forgiveness of sins hundreds of times in the New Testament was also translated healed.

Otherwise you also quote Matthew 15 which has nothing to do with healing. Jesus in his time here was sent to the Jews only as was prophesied in Jeremiah 31. But the prophecy of Genesis 12 (all the nations of the earth would be blessed) was inevitable and necessary after his death to fulfill prophecy about Jesus. He had to be rejected by his own people.

If it changes anything, I am a Jew. And I do not follow any man. Wherever I go people are healed when I pray for them, and then I preach the gospel to them. That's a sign to unbelievers, it will never change. I still see healings, and the Bible supports it completely. Whether you believe it or not, is just hindering your own progress.

17. I think you're both wrong. Lol

God can definitely heal people today, miraculously, and he can use the prayer and laying on of hands of his people to do that.

However, I think it's also a but ignorant to assume every video you see of some miraculous healing is true. There's a church near me that is very charismatic and all about healing and signs and wonders and all that stuff, and I can tell you for a fact that half of the stuff they say is total BS. I've heard testimony after testimony of people being pressured into saying they felt better when they really didn't, and everyone celebrating that they were healed when they really weren't. And also tons of testimonies of people actually believing, themselves, that they were healed, only to realize later that it was just the adrenaline and hype of the moment and they actually feel exactly the same. This church explains this away by claiming that if you dont have enough faith, you can "lose your healing" after you leave the church building. Which is ridiculous and not Biblical at all.

So yeah. Miraculous healing absolutely still happens today, and I'm sure God can give his people that gift if He chooses. But not every video you see if proof of that, or every story you read. A lot of them are just not true.

Regardless, we always must remember that the true healer is God, not us. He might allow us to be part of a healing experience through prayer, but it wasn't us who did the healing. It's Him, always. We don't have that power. He chooses to include us sometimes, because He loves us. But we will never have that power on our own.

18. L1ttl

L1ttl Fapstronaut

I do agree with you so I'm not sure where we might disagree. Not every video is a genuine healing. And people do sometimes think they are healed when they are not.

One thing I do not agree with however. The power is inside of us. Just as Romans 8 says "the same Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you". And we are the ones who release it. It's not that I have the power on my own but rather through faith in Jesus and repentance, I was baptized in the Holy Spirit and He now dwells within me. And as Peter said in Acts 3 "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk."

The idea that God controls everything that happens is unbiblical. I believe this is the worst doctrine in the church today. I know that this is a shocking statement and is near blasphemy to some people, but the way sovereignty” is taught today is a real faith killer. The belief that God controls everything that happens to us is one of the devil’s biggest inroads into our lives. If this belief is true, then our actions are irrelevant, and our efforts are meaningless. What will be will be.

If we believe that God wills everything, good or bad, to happen to us, it gives us some temporary relief from confusion and condemnation, but in the long-term, it slanders God, hinders our trust in God, and leads to passiveness.

Religion has resulted in the invention of a new meaning for the word “sovereign,” which basically means God controls everything. Nothing can happen but what He wills or allows. However, there is nothing in the actual definition that states that. The dictionary defines “sovereign” as, “1. Paramount; supreme. 2. Having supreme rank or power. 3. Independent: a sovereign state. 4. Excellent.” None of these definitions means that God controls everything.

It is assumed that since God is paramount or supreme that nothing can happen without His approval. That is not what the Scriptures teach. In 2 Peter 3:9, Peter said, “The Lord is…not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” This clearly states that it is not the Lord’s will for anyone to perish, but people are perishing. Jesus said, “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat” (Matt. 7:13). Relatively few people are saved compared to the number that are lost. God’s will for people concerning salvation is not being accomplished.

This is because the Lord gave us the freedom to choose. He doesn’t will anyone into hell. He paid for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2; 1 Tim. 4:10), but we must choose to put our faith in Christ and receive His salvation. People are the ones choosing hell by not choosing Jesus as their Savior. It is the free will of man that damns them, not God.

People virtually have to climb over the roadblocks that God puts in their way to continue on their course to hell. The cross of Christ and the drawing power of the Holy Spirit are obstacles that every sinner encounters. No one will ever stand before God and be able to fault Him for withholding the opportunity to be saved. The Lord woos every person to Him, but we have to cooperate. Ultimately, the Lord simply enforces the consequences of people’s own choices.

God has a perfect plan for every person’s life (Jer. 29:11), but He doesn’t make us walk that path. We are free moral agents with the ability to choose. He has told us what the right choices are (Deut. 30:19), but He doesn’t make those choices for us. God gave us the power to control our destinies.

Typical teaching on the sovereignty of God puts Jesus in the driver’s seat with us as passengers. On the surface that looks good. All of us have encountered the disastrous results of doing our own thing. We desire to be led of the Lord, and teaching that nothing happens but what God wills fits that nicely. However, the Scriptures paint a picture of each of us being behind the wheel of our own lives. We are the one doing the driving. We are supposed to take directions from the Lord, but He doesn’t do the driving for us.

If a person really believed that God is the one who put sickness on them because He is trying to work something for good in their life, then they should not go to the doctor or take any medicine. That would be resisting God’s plans. They should let the sickness run its course and thereby get the full benefit of God’s correction. Of course, no one advocates that. That is absurd. It is even more absurd to believe that God is the one behind the tragedy.

Acts 10:38 says that Jesus healed all those who were oppressed OF THE DEVIL. It was not God who oppressed them with sickness. It was the devil. It’s the same today. Sickness is from the devil, not from God. We need to resist sickness and, by faith, submit ourselves to healing, which is from God through the atonement of Christ.

I know someone is thinking, What about the Old Testament instances where God smote people with sickness and plagues? There is a lot I could say about that if I had the space, but a simplified answer to that question is that none of those instances were blessings. They were curses. God did use sickness in the Old Testament as punishment, but in the New Testament, Jesus bore our curse for us (Gal. 3:13). The Lord would no more put sickness on a New Testament believer than He would make us commit a sin. Both forgiveness of sin and healing are a part of the atonement Jesus provided for us.

Deuteronomy, chapter 28, should forever settle this question for all who believe the Word of God. The first 14 verses of Deuteronomy 28 list the blessings of God and the last 53 verses list the curses of God. Healing is listed as a blessing (Deut. 28:4). Sickness is listed as a curse (Deut. 28:22, 27-28, 35, 59-61). God called sickness a curse. We should not call it a blessing.

God is sovereign in the sense that He is paramount and supreme. There is no one higher in authority or power, but that does not mean He exercises His power by controlling everything in our lives. God has given us the freedom to choose. He has a plan for us. He seeks to reveal that plan to us and urge us in that direction, but we choose. He doesn’t make our choices for us.

In many instances, it is our wrong choices that bring disaster upon us. In other cases, our problems are nothing but an attack from the devil. In some cases, natural forces of an imperfect world cause us pain. Our tragedies are never the judgment or correction of God. Jesus came to give us abundant life. The devil came to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10). Don’t ever get that confused. If it’s good, it’s God. If it’s bad, it’s the devil.

This is a fundamental doctrine of Christianity that must be understood properly if you want victory in your life. Believing that God controls everything renders a person passive. Why pray and believe for something better? Whatever God wants will come to pass. That simply is not true.

God does not need to allow us to take part in healing the sick because he already did to every believer. He told us these signs will follow them that believe. You don't need a gift and you don't need some special anointing. You just need to believe that Christ took our sicknesses already and the healing is already available. By faith you deliver it and say just as Peter "such as I have, give I thee."

19. That's pretty much what I said. That's not a disagreement with me at all. Obviously if the Holy Spirit is within us, then technically that power is within us. But there are major issues with pride that can arise if you start to think of it as "I have the power of healing" rather than "God has the power of healing, and He chooses to use that power through me sometimes." It's a very important distinction of perspective.

Deleted Account likes this.
  20. L1ttl

L1ttl Fapstronaut

I disagree. God does not choose to use that power through you but you do. That distinction of perspective is not biblical. God already placed it in you and the power is at your disposal. There is no reason to be prideful when you realize who you are in Christ and who you are without Him. Only through his grace and what he alone did for us. And when we are willing to lay down our lives out of love, and a deep understanding of how much he is alone the one who deserves to get all the glory.

You do not call the electric company to turn on the light for you in your room. They provide the power but you flip the switch. God does not decide when that power is released from within you, you do.