1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My Reading List

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by staticboy, Aug 31, 2019.

Tags:
  1. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

Books I've read recently that have had a profound affect on my thinking. Just thought I'd share and start a conversation about good books to read.

[​IMG]
    The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
    by Mark Manson

[​IMG]
    EVERY THING IS F*CKED: A BOOK ABOUT HOPE
    by Mark Manson

[​IMG]
    No More Mr. Nice Guy
    by Dr Robert Glover

[​IMG]
    Digital Minimalism: On Living Better with Less Technology
    by Cal Newport

[​IMG]
    Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway: How to Turn Your Fear and Indecision into Confidence and Action
    by Susan Jeffers

[​IMG]
    The Man's Guide to Women
    by John and Julie Gottman Ph.D

[​IMG]
    Models: Attract Women Through Honesty
    by Mark Manson

[​IMG]
    The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work: A practical guide from the international bestselling relationship expert
    by John Gottman

Di.Do.555 and strength54 like this.
  2. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

And yes, even though I've been married for 17 years to the woman I've been with for 30 years I read a book with the sub-title "Attract Women Through Honesty"! It's not a cheap guide of pick-up tricks and no I'm not planning on pulling other women. The key word in the title is HONESTY. Let's face it, a lot of us here are extremely secretive and dishonest. I learnt a few things about myself from this book.

Protagonist likes this.
  3. ifthecoppertubes

ifthecoppertubes Fapstronaut

Nice !
    Have you read 'Deep work' by Cal Newport?
    It was a real eye opener for me.

Protagonist and staticboy like this.
  4. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Loads of great books there, I need more time to read though...

Have you read some of Mantak Chia's books?

Think and grow rish and ''as a man thinketh'' comes to mind as well.

staticboy likes this.
  5. topjobm8two

topjobm8two Fapstronaut

6. "No more Mr Nice Guy, no more Mr Cleeee he he hean!"

7. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

No I haven't, but I really enjoyed Digital Minimalism, and his Deep Work book has been referenced by other people I enjoy reading, so it's on my list!

ifthecoppertubes likes this.
  8. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

No, not heard of Mantak Chia. Will check him out!

[​IMG]
    As A Man Thinketh
    by James Allen

Wow! First published in 1903! Added to my reading list as the Amazon Kindle version was only £0.49 (about $0.60 USD). There's also an adapted film version on Amazon Prime: amazon.co.uk/As-Man-Thinketh-Thought-classic/dp/B07BDN4XLR

[​IMG]
    Think And Grow Rich
    by Napoleon Hill

Another old book from 1937! Also added to the reading as again, was only 49p on Amazon Kindle!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Tibo87 likes this.
  9. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Yeap, couldnt believe it as well, but it is a must have!

10. ifthecoppertubes

In 'Deep Work', he argues that the current emphasis on constant interaction in the modern work environment (via emails, instant messaging, open spaces, meeting) is counterproductive and unnecessary.
    They are just easy distractions that prevent us from doing the hard but valuable thing: sustain focus on hard tasks.

...in a nutshell.

staticboy likes this.
  11. ifthecoppertubes

I'll give it a look. Thanks

staticboy likes this.
  12. user10111

user10111 Fapstronaut

Digital minimalism has been added to my reading list. I have to get that one.. Also check outwit the devil by napoleon Hill. It will change how you communicate with yourself.

13. MuzzyTheArab

MuzzyTheArab Fapstronaut

ooh, this is a great idea!

staticboy likes this.
  14. The Myth of Mental Illness by Dr. Thomas Szasz my fav.

staticboy likes this.
  15. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

Added to my reading list because a simple Google search found me a complete PDF copy of the book online!

[​IMG]
    Outwitting The Devil
    by Napoleon Hill

PeterBE and user10111 like this.
  16. user10111

user10111 Fapstronaut

Wish it was the same with digital minimalism book. I really need that one

17. user10111

user10111 Fapstronaut

How long can you take to read all those books in the list?

18. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

I think it’s worth buying. I like to support authors by buying books because that’s how they earn their living. Sometimes you can find books online in PDF or ePub, but more often than not I’ll buy a copy if I enjoy it.

19. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

It usually takes me about a week to read a book. Sometimes two weeks for the ones that are longer or a bit heavier going. I’m still finishing EVERYTHING IS FUCKED because the ideas and concepts are quite complex, so I end up re-reading paragraphs several times till I understand it.

20. staticboy

staticboy Fapstronaut

Another one arrived in the post yesterday and added to the pile. This one is pure fiction, so no cerebral self-help or improvement here! I did read a couple of chapters of Outwitting The Devil last night and it was instantly absorbing, especially considering it was written in 1938. So thank you to @user10111 for the recommendation. I'll finish up EVERYTHING IS FUCKED then move on to it next.

[​IMG]
    You Were Never Really Here
    by Jonathan Ames

I watched the film of the same name a few days ago. Very good. A Film4 and BFI project. I've always enjoyed watching Joaquin Phoenix and was excited to discover he's the lead in the new JOKER movie, so I checked IMDB to find some films of his I hadn't seen and this was one of them. It's quite brutal and graphic, and the plot involves sex trafficking, although it didn't have any sex scenes, so I'd consider it safe for PMO triggers.

Deleted Account and user10111 like this.