1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

quote: I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Get_It

Get_It Fapstronaut

Said by Gandhi.

2. Unfortunately, that's a common belief. But people need to recognize that Christians are only human. We have problems and temptation and sin just like any other human. We are called to be an example of Christ, but we fail at that all the time. So it's unwise to judge God by the actions of His followers, especially if those followers are twisting His words to fit their own agenda.

That's why I would always advise people to look into things for themsleves, and not assume they know something about God just based on the Christians in their lives. It would be great if all Christians actually acted like Christ all the time as we are supposed to, but unfortunately we are only human, and we have a lot of flaws. Christ does not.

Heck, even I would say that quite myself at times. I love Jesus, but some Christians are pretty terrible. Persecuting and hating gay people, for example, is not what Jesus would do. Neither is judging prostitutes or drug addicts and looking down on them, making them feel like an outsider and not welcome in the church. We are also not called to turn our noses up at people who aren't as "religious" as us. There are tons of things I see Christians doing that are not at all what God has said to do. And unfortunately that leads to people who don't know God thinking that that's what God is like. It's very sad. It's my hope and prayer that people would get to know God personally for themsleves before choosing to accept or reject Him.

3. I hate certain section of missionaries. The idiot kind I mean, who keep harassing folks.

Hros and Get_It like this.
  4. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Apparently it was actually said by Bara Dada. But yeah some Christians can be jerks but really Jesus could be a bit of jerk as well.

If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple. - Luke 14:26

And that's not the only time Jesus was nasty. At times he could be slightly racist, sexist and disrespectful to his mother. But at the end of the day he was just a human being. Never claimed to be perfect, it's the church that did and still does claim he was perfect.

The Great Safecracker likes this.
  5. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Wow... I've truly never heard anyone try and criticize Christ like that. I take it you're morally superior.:rolleyes:

6. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

That does raise an interesting issue. If Jesus was perfect as a human then he wasn't truly human. Being human means being imperfect and striving to better yourself.

7. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Jesus had a dual nature - God and man.

SuperFan and Deleted Account like this.
  8. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

So would you say he was both an imperfect human & a perfect god at the same time?

9. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I'm just telling you what I've heard. I honestly don't know how someone could be man (imperfect by definition) and God (perfect by definition).

10. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Me neither.

11. Just because something is difficult for our tiny, human brains to understand, doesn't make it not true. The Bible clearly says that Jesus was fully human, and fully divine. If he wasn't, his sacrifice on the cross would not have been effective. For anyone who claims to be a Christian to say that Jesus was not fully man, or not fully God, or that Jesus sinned on earth, is extremely problematic for the entire Biblical narrative. If he sinned on earth, he would not have been a perfect sacrifice for our sins. And if he hadn't been fully human, he would not have been tempted as the Bible often says he was.

I'm not saying I fully understand how one can be both at the same time. But if one is a Christian, you have to accept that is true, or nothing about Jesus' death on the cross makes any sense. I'm perfectly comfortable admitting that it's a difficult concept for me to understand, but that doesn't mean it isn't true or isn't possible. Our brains cannot fully comprehend God.

SuperFan likes this.
  12. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I don't believe I ever stated otherwise. I was just curious.

13. I believe more enlightened Christ followers know we are hypocrites....and our only hope is through Christ, not our own efforts to make ourselves look better than we are. I'm a believer that ALL people, regardless of their faith, are good. God created us that way--good. Yes, we can and do falter, stumble, and even fall off cliffs...but we Christians simply commit daily to go to the cross and do our best--to love God and others...and accept God's grace and mercy. All of which means not judging others....and accepting our own sinfulness, but knowing through Christ we can become clean.

14. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

15. brilliantidiot

Jesus really did not care about offending people if you haven't noticed. People's superficial feelings just aren't that important to be honest. I disagree with the verse you quoted though because he is using the word "hate" somewhat ambiguously. If he wasn't it would directly contradict many other verses. I believe it could be loosely translated: "If you value your life, father, mother, etc. over me you cannot be my disciple".

That is so un-biblical I don't know what to say.

You can't just pick and choose what to believe within the Bible.

SuperFan and Deleted Account like this.
  16. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

17. brilliantidiot

Sorry I quoted your post as well, it was more directed to jarvy.

18. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Sure, okay.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  19. I wasn't implying that you said that. I was just talking. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Hros likes this.