1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it so hard to read the Bible?

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. BreakingBenjamin

BreakingBenjamin Fapstronaut

I`m wondering why is it so hard and complex to read and understand the bible which was written so long ago, in a less complex time of human existence.

2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

What do you find hard about reading the Bible?

3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Why? Because it was written by Jews and as the saying goes: Two Jews, three opinions.

KS1994, Deleted Account and Hros like this.
  4. newstart002

newstart002 Fapstronaut

Read 5-10 pages a day and progress will be made.

persona2903 likes this.
  5. Lol. Whaaaaa????

6. The Bible says faith is the prerequisite to approaching God.

But reading the Bible doesn’t require Faith. No entitlement to liking it. It’s not designed to be easy , just designed to polish the rough jagged edges of your character.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

:D
    Depends from what perspective you're saying this. If you're a religious person (especially Jewish ;)), then what looks contradictory has purpose as part of the book written be God. If you're taking an atheist approach, we'll then I suppose you shouldn't be surprised if you find yourself scratching your head at times.

8. They make Bibles now with easy translations. The concept, if you accept it's teachings is not meant to be hard to understand. God loves you, has a plan for your life and a way out of death through his Son for you.

9. Despicable me

Despicable me Fapstronaut

About 9 years ago, my faith was strong. I read the bible and it was understandable and spoke to me. After I failed God, by not keeping my end of promise, I stopped reading bible daily. In my worried times, I took the pible and searched for comfort, but didnt understand the writings like I used to, I understood the sentences, but it didnt speak with me, like encrypted. I explained that with Holy spirit left from me. Thats why. And I was back at my old habits. Maybe it just needs more reading and being clean from sin.

letter and need4realchg like this.
  10. Jonny1992

Jonny1992 Fapstronaut

Try another translation that is easier to understand. And start with lucas. This is the easiest understanding book of the bible. Then proceed.

11. MisterDirection

MisterDirection Fapstronaut

Try a chronological bible.
    They have them set up on a schedule to read a little a day and you will finish it in a year...

Then you can move into which ever reference style bible or translation one that strikes you

need4realchg likes this.
  12. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

The bible is hard to read because it's not one book, but between 73 (Catholic) or 66 (Protestant). It's written in dead languages, with different narrators, sources that don't exist anymore, in different geographic locations with completely different cultures. Why did God make the bible so hard to read? That I can't really answer.

13. Jonny1992

Jonny1992 Fapstronaut

It is old language. Search for translations that are translated in the 21 century language.

Well in Germany where I live I like to translations that are easy to understand:

„New Hope“ translation. Really easy.
    „New world translation“ also easy.

But I guess there are still more.

where are you from?

14. Despicable me

Despicable me Fapstronaut

I think that stick to the older one. In New on, there may be misinterpretations and/or willingly changed something important.

15. I have to agree with this. Jesus himself said that he purposely talks in riddles sometimes, because he wants people to think. He wants you to seek him and seek wisdom, and he will give it to you. But it's not meant to be something you just read and you're done. It's meant to be a constant process of seeking God and truth and understanding new things daily. I've been a Christian basically my whole life, and God still speaks to me in new ways through passages I've read s million times. The Bible says God's word is "living and active." It's not designed to just be read like any other book.

letter, Hold it in and need4realchg like this.
  16. I would recommend getting connected with a good church and learning through pastors and other people who have studied the original language and can help you understand it better. Not everyone has the time or means to study the bible as deeply as pastors and theological instructors do. I learned a LOT when I attended a Christian University and took classes on old testament, new testsment, hermeneutics, etc.

Hold it in likes this.
  17. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

A key reason would be unless you are fluent in the original languages, you’re reading a translation, and every translation had to make decisions on word choice. Additionally, especially as a translation shifts from word to word towards thought for thought, one has to take into account potential translator bias.

Outside of that, context is the next major area. A hopefully uncontroversial example: In Mt 27:46, Jesus says, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” Out of context, this sounds very problematic. At the time however, it was common to refer to things such as psalms (where that line comes from) by the first line, the same way many church hymnals refer to music (examples: Amazing Grace, Joy to the World, Angels we have heard on high, and so on). So here, Jesus was drawing attention to Psalm 22.

Personal, societal, and other biases also contribute to difficulty.

Then there are some passages that are truly confusing, like Lk 16:1-13. A man’s about to be fired for squandering money. So what does this man do? He uses his master’s resources to make friends with all those in debt to the master before he’s fired. And then Jesus talks about being trustworthy and not serving two masters. Not the easiest to understand.

Theologians have been studying the Bible for almost 2,000 years. There is not a single consensus on the meaning all of scripture to this day. Don’t be discouraged because you find some parts difficult. I found it useful to listen to an audio version, of which there are several on Youversion’s Bible app. Took me I want to say three months to get through all but seven of the books.

letter likes this.
  18. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Part of it is the subject matter.

One of the major themes of the Bible is humanity's reunification with God, enveloped in that is the purpose for why God created us and why He would die to bring us back to Him. This is rooted in the deepest parts of the greatest mysteries which everyone is still trying to figure out...why are we alive and what do our lives mean?

There are no easy answers to that. The ones you find at first just lead you deeper and deeper into the mystery...because it isn't about finding an answer, it's about being found in something greater than anything we could imagine. How do you explain it with simple words?

sparkywantsnoPMO likes this.
  19. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

You need to first break down the thousands of years of creation into DISPENSATIONS to know what's going on and where you are historically when you read: the people, the salvation, the situation, the time, always having in mind the fulfillment at the cross, because hundreds of prophecies point to it and you'll see how Jesus is indeed the word in the flesh (besides being God).

We are currently in the dispensation of Paul our apostle and his Gospel he got by revelation of Jesus Christ (Acts 9 to Hebrews), before the Rapture.

You can get the audio version of the Bible, the 66 books KJV dramatized are free to download on YouTube:

Get the KJV app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kjv.bible.kingjamesbible&hl=fr

Get the books Dispensational Truth and Rightly Dividing the Word by Clearance Larkin.

20. Paul69

Paul69 Fapstronaut

I think you may be underestimating the complexities of that time a bit. Actually i think it is good that you acknowledge that you find it difficult to understand, that means you are taking it seriously. Keep on studying!