1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Talking to yourself, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by LonelyStrength, Oct 5, 2019.

1. LonelyStrength

LonelyStrength Fapstronaut

Ill often catch myself in a intense conversation talking about anything, but I want to know if its normal or if its wrong and i shouldn't be doing it, but what do you guys think?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I talk to myself all the time. Lots of people do. Nothing wrong with it. People catch me all the time. They ask "who are you talking to"? I say "myself".

3. dignifiedrose

dignifiedrose Fapstronaut

I don't think it's very strange to have conversations with yourself. I have often found that speaking about problems/issues out loud can even help with coming up with a solution.

Coffee Candy likes this.
  4. LonelyStrength

Could be:emoji_thinking:

5. Address007

Address007 Fapstronaut

Depends. I often talk to myself when working on a challenging problem, or practicing a speech/interview. I had a roommate who would converse with himself, and everyone found it to be completely strange

6. LonelyStrength

yes, having a conversation with yourself

7. Fullyawake

Fullyawake Fapstronaut

I think it is very healthy. It’s a large part of why people succeed, and others don’t. Affirmations work, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you have a positive, focused mind, you will always be reminding yourself of what’s important. What to do, and what not to do. When I started nofap seriously I had a conversation with myself in the mirror. “You know what to do, but you still won’t do it. You have to do it.” And from that point I’ve been doing it. People who fail don’t check themselves, and thus they keep the problematic behavior going.

8. Sarutobi

Sarutobi Fapstronaut

Talking to yourself as a problem. There are various points of view when it comes to this particular topic. I personally believe there are two sides to it, when you do it as an exclusive source of interaction or when you use it as a complement for other activities. Loneliness is a very common emotional state wich could be enhaced if the correct pathways are not build within your daily approach to life. To be more clear, I believe it is okay when you use it for a particular reason and with a specific result at hand, but if it is just erratic type of speech just for the sake of it, then it would be something to consider stop doing.

LonelyStrength and Fullyawake like this.
  9. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

I do it all the time. I started to slap my face everytime I do it and since then I've done it a bit less.

10. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Ever consider that slapping yourself in the face might actually be a bigger problem than talking to yourself?

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. No you don't. Only sometimes.

Deleted Account and Mistersofty like this.
  12. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

Not really. I actually managed to suppress many bad habits through physical pain.

13. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Maybe you're on to something. You should try an electric collar. That'll teach ya..

14. Infrasapiens

Infrasapiens Fapstronaut

That is actually not that bad of an idea.

Mistersofty likes this.
  15. I talk to myself often, but I don't do it in public.

16. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Just don't ass dial someone while you're having a conversation with yourself. It tends to confuse them a bit.