1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Seven Tenets of The Satanic Temple

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

Tags:

Do you think they're a good way for someone to live their life?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Some of them but not all of them

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

• One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.
    • The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
    • One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
    • The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.
    • Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.
    • People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.
    • Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.
    https://thesatanictemple.com/pages/tenets

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

A quick Google search showed me that these aren't core Satanism ideas. These are the fundamental principles of a political group that for a few reasons decided to use Satan as their symbol.

Having clarified that, some seem like sound ideas for life, others I don't really agree with.

3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Okay, I changed the title. You're right it's the tenets of The Satanic Temple but from my understanding they're not only a political group. They're a group of Satanists that became a political group.

4. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I watched a documentary about them last night. Pretty interesting stuff.

5. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

Could be, though apparently the Church Of Satan claims otherwise.

Milhouse Van Houten likes this.
  6. C12345

C12345 Fapstronaut

Satanism is cringey. The Church of Satan isn't as bad, they just do whatever the fuck they want and don't give a shit, but The Satanic Temple actually think they are changing society. That Baphomet statue is bad ass though.

7. "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

To me this is Satanism.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  8. The fact that anyone is claiming these principles have anything at all to do with Satan, is absurd. Satan does not want people to fight for justice, be empathetic and compassionate toward one another, seek wisdom and know truth, have freedom, forgive one another and show mercy and grace. You're confusing him with God. God is the one who advocates for those things. Moreover, God is the one who CREATED those things.

Satan seeks to destroy and harm. Satan wants us to destroy each other, hate each other, be confused and misled, hold grudges and hatred in our hearts, and be kept in constant bondage by all of these things. Satan wants the opposite of every single thing on that list.

Sure, a lot of these are good principles, but they are God's principles. Putting Satan's name on them is absolutely ridiculous and blasphemous. If you like these principles, perhaps you should consider thanking God for them, because He is the one responsible for all of these good things.

I would understand someone wanting to take God out of the equation and just say these are human ideas or something, but to put Satan's name on it makes zero sense. If you believe in Satan, where are you getting your information about him? Because the Bible is pretty dang clear that none of these things are Satan's desire for humanity. I just don't understand why anyone would think Satan has anything to do with any of these things. They're just so against God that they want to spit in His face, while enjoying all of the beautiful ways of life He created for them, like compassion and empathy and mercy and grace and freedom. It's sad.

9. Not to totally disregard your impressions here but
    Luciferianism is surprisingly close to mainline pop culture. Many people love and live more in line with a laissez-faire religious experience (do what u want) than they do in living how God dictates.

Like Hinduism, people can observe the tenets of this religious philosophy and not compelled to give up any other.

The goat sacrifices and blood not needed to join.

10. I don't really understand what that has to do with anything I said. The fact that it's "surprisingly close to mainline pop culture" doesn't change the fact that Satan is completely against all of these things that are being labelled "Satanism."

I'm just sick of this stupid stuff. I can't imagine what a slap in the face this is to God.

I mean imagine you make a list of rules for your child to follow, and they tell you that you're terrible and a dictator and that they will never follow you. And then your kids comes up with his own set of rules -- which just so happen to be exactly the same as your rules --- and he names them after the local serial killer who's murdered and tortured hundreds of people. Like what the heck? That's so stupid and immature. It just makes people look like spoiled brats who want to do what their dad says because it's obviously best for them, but they don't want to admit that their dad is the one who told them to do it, so they have to pretend they came up with it on their own and then name it after their dad's enemy just to spite him.

Why not just humble yourself and admit that your dad is smarter than you and he knows what he's talking about? It makes life a heck of a lot easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2019
    Roady and Deleted Account like this.
  11. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

A bunch of tenets written by Satanists who either don't have a clue about Satan or are intentionally deceiving people.

I feel bad for them, because this life is all they'll probably have.

Deleted Account and Roady like this.
  12. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

"Do you really mean, at this time of day, to re-introduce our old friend the devil, hoofs and horns and all? Well, what the time of day has to do with it I do not know. And I am not particular about the hoofs and horns. But in other respects my answer is Yes, I do. I do not claim to know anything about his personal appearance. If anybody really wants to know him better I would say to that person. Don’t worry. If you really want to, you will. Whether you’ll like it when you do is another question."

CS Lewis​

Roady likes this.
  13. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

That's actually thelema, not satanism. Thelema being the religion founded by Aleister Crowley, whereas satanism nowadays refers to the religion founded by Anton LaVey or some other religious groups inspired by LaVey.

need4realchg likes this.
  14. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

"I can't imagine what a slap in the face this is to God."

Pretty sure that's actually the point. Although since satanists don't believe in God, it's meant to be more of a slap in the face of church. Which is admittedly kinda childis nowadays, since church is no longer as strong authority as it used to be.

15. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Fapstronaut

Ya'll need to study dem theomologies.

16. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

Would you like to elaborate what you mean by that?

17. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I mean basically what you meant by your comment. U know what battle, how will it become visible who shall have the authority etc. Could be the fact that english isn't my first language, but to me your comment seems pretty cryptic. :D

18. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I would have hoped a study of Satan would inform you that Satan is not a man.

A close study of the Satan reveals a rather complicated being.

19. Very true. Ultimately though Satanism is a celebration of self indulgence. Thats really what I see at its core. Its do what you want, when you want, feel good culture. Im sure there is some other things weaved in too.

Deleted Account and need4realchg like this.
  20. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I mean yeah, that's basically what (at least LaVeyan) satanism is. Just hedonism with edgy Satan-imagery on top of it.

But still though, describing satanism with a quote by Crowley misrepresents the quote in my opinion.
    Although "Do what thou wilt" seems to fit hedonistic way of life on a surface level, Crowley didn't really mean it that way. Crowley believed that everything has a True Will, which is more like a destiny or a life purpose or a correct place in the universe rather than a conscious expression of persons desires. Thus "Do what thou wilt" doesn't mean that you should do whatever you feel like, but that you should do things that resonate with your destiny.

I know I'm nitpicking, but I think you took the quote so far out of context that I had to draw some attention to it so that no one gets the wrong idea.

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.