1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

12 step program I unknowingly used to have success

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. risingStar2020

risingStar2020 Fapstronaut

Im going to join a 12 step SA program near my area. What's interesting and actually astounding is that I had an 8 months nofap streak recently in which the foundation of that streak was built upon the 12 steps... without even me knowing what the 12 steps were at the time! Note that this was before I had seen or even knew what 12 steps were. I remember at the beginning of my streak,

(In Blue Bold are the 12 Steps)

1) We admitted we were powerless over addictive sexual behavior - that our lives had become unmanageable.
    I cried out to God, tears pouring down my face, for Him to help me, to remove the lust. I admitted that I needed Him.

2) Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
    I told myself that if Jesus, the one who lived a perfect, sinless life, was truly within me, then sin and death had NO POWER OVER ME. If the Holy Spirit dwelled in me, then how could I know anything of sin, sickness, disease, and addiction? "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"- Philippians 4:13

3) Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood God.
    I said that I would no longer live by the flesh, but by the Spirit. "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." - Galatians 2:20

4) Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
    I told myself that I am good, pure, holy, and righteous and would do whatever it took to stay clean

5) and 6) Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
    I confessed my sins, and had true Godly sorrow and remorse, and a fully repentant heart that desired to change. I created a journal here on nofap. I said Lord have your way with me. I was fully committed. I was all in, and ready to be transformed and become the new me, ready to do the will of God. I asked God to fill me with the fruits of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faith, and self control

7) Humbly asked God to remove our shortcomings.
    When I was tempted, I asked God to not let me fall. I read
    "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall nourish thee: he will not suffer the righteous to fall forever"- Psalm 55:22

"For though a righteous man falls seven times, he will get up, but the wicked will stumble into ruin." - Proverbs 24:16
    https://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon/you-can-stumble-but-you-wont-fall/

8) and 9) Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
    I didn't harm anyone through my PMO use except myself. However, I made an extremely important decision to forgive myself and everyone else who had ever wronged with me. I used Matthew David Hurtado's Forgiving and Release method. I completely forgave my father, even after all the suffering he had caused during my childhood. I still loved him, and we have a better relationship now

10) Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
    I kept journaling my mistakes and oogling and lustful thoughts.

11) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out.
    I sought to know God, to draw closer to Him and I prayed more frequently. Just before drifting off to sleep everynight, I would smile in joy and peace and list a few things that I was grateful for. (I highly recommend practicing this gratitude before bed)

12) Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to other sex addicts and to practice these principles in our lives.
    I continued posting on nofap to help others, although not to the extent that I should. When I reach 1 year pmo free, I will give my advice and share all that I know and all that I have learned

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. @SaturnsSun I saw you in the 12 step group. Thought you might be interested by this

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Good stuff. You need to complete your 4th step and move on from there. A proper and helpful "inventory" is quite a bit more detailed than what you listed above. It often takes weeks for it to be written up, and it is recommended you do this with the supervision and help of a sponsor/AP. If you desire lasting freedom from addiction, you cannot rush this process.

I am cheering you on as you regain the freedom you once enjoyed. Onward!