1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I live my life to the fullest?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Oct 18, 2019.

1. A couple days ago, I was cruising down the road after a hike with the windows down, blasting my favorite music, without a care in the world. I was really feeling myself, singing along and enjoying my car. As the road flattened out, a stretch of highway connected one major mountain incline to another. Maybe a mile of open road. The speed limit was 50, yet I was easily going 60. As I traveled down this road, I saw an intersection way out in the distance. There was warning lights that flashed to prepare you to slow down, but they weren't on, so I continued my pace. I kept my eye on the light, prepared to stomp on the brakes if need be. Yet the light stayed solid.

The moment I came to the intersection, I stared death right in the face. A large moving truck had blown the red light at the opposing intersection, and came barreling through but a moment before I crossed the white line. I couldn't have missed him by more than 7 feet. I immediately pulled over and had a panic attack on the side of the road. Had I increased my speed by a few miles an hour, or taken a corner any quicker, I would be dead right now. I would be forgotten after a few years by society, and my family would only remember me by photos and maybe a few of my possessions.

As generic as my story sounds, it really did take a life threatening event to slap me in the face and put into perspective how monotonous my life is. I wake up, go to school, go to work, study, and basically do the same thing the next day. Maybe on the weekend I will go on a hike (like that day), or go out to lunch with some buddies, but that is a rare occasion. If my life were to end at this exact moment, I would have died unfulfilled. I would pass having accomplished nothing.

My life goal for the longest time has been to invest in real estate and make passive income. I understand the strategy and the opportunity, and I am positive that if I dedicated my life to entrepreneurship and real estate, I could make SO much money, possibly millions, and I don't say that as a bragging right or in jest.

But every time I think of that future, I feel hollow. I could make money, but a life where I work and do nothing else sounds like hell. Entrepreneurship sounds so isolating and lonely. I would be bound to one town, with no friends. I have recently been reconsidering my whole outlook on life and my future, and have been so overwhelmed that it has consumed me for the past few days.

I look back at my life, and the times I had the most fun were where I simply dicked around with my friends. Those late nights in the city, getting into mischief and just hanging out. My friends/family give me more fulfillment then any materialistic thing. Also all the travel I have done. Seeing new countries, and spending time with the ones I love. Those two categories of my life I can't forsake for money.

So I guess my question for you people who have had more life experience is this:

How do you live your life to the fullest?

How did you find a balance between work and every other aspect? Everybody wants money AND healthy relationships, but as a high school student it seems impossible to get either at this moment. I don't want to settle for a mediocre life. I want to be able to look back when I'm old and grey, and be proud of my experiences and legacy.

I understand my question is extremely open ended. Maybe share your life story, or any experience? Or any other advice. I am overwhelmed and looking for answers, and I appreciate anything you have to say.

Thanks nofap army!

Protagonist likes this.
  2. I recently read and am applying the concepts in the book "Deep Work" by Cal Newport. In regards to achieving the best of your ability, Cal illustrates that deep work is the most important factor of leading a fulfilling life. Establishing a deep work habit allows you to soar in your field (be it mathematics, computer science, business, statistics etc etc), you will be able to think deeply and come up with original solutions/ideas. Deep work doesn't just benefit your professional life. You will find that you have more time to spend building relationships, traveling, or whatever else that you enjoy.

However, its important to take note that deep work doesn't just happen over night. It can take years to establish the skill. That being said, it is still an invaluable skill to have.

I hope this has answered at least part of your question.

Cheers

Protagonist and Deleted Account like this.
  3. MB183715

MB183715 Fapstronaut

Cliche as it is, the old maxim, "Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life," is somewhat accurate. I work my dream job now, freelance writing, but it took me a very long time to get there. Before that I was a commercial driver, not a job I hated, but not one I really wanted.
    Your age puts you in an enviable position--all you need to do is explore your options. If you love traveling, look into becoming a flight attendant, or a pilot, or working on a cruise ship, or even driving trucks long-distance (some people actually love long-haul driving, and there's no boss looking over your shoulder). You're at the age where you can still do damn near anything you want. Just find out what it is and step toward it.

Protagonist and Deleted Account like this.
  4. Thanks man, I really appreciate it. That sounds like a great read,I just ordered a copy from ebay! Thanks a million

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. Thank you, thats incredibly inspiring! Maybe I am taking things for granted in my life. We have a tendency to not appreciate what we have, and always strive for more. Thank you for putting things into perspective ;)

MB183715 likes this.
  6. This is going to sound incredibly cheesy but the most fulfilling times are when I’m being of service to others; friends, family, strangers at the food bank. I too have been wanting to get into real estate (more buy and hold) so then I can have the passive cash flow to continue helping others.

Deleted Account likes this.