1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My High School Wrestling Journey

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by yourhomieishere, Oct 21, 2019.

1. yourhomieishere

yourhomieishere Fapstronaut

I'm a junior in high school and I've been wanting to join the wrestling team. However, this dream is giving me a lot of anxiety. I'm very scared to tell my family because of the fact that they may judge/say no. My schedule is also very busy, I have work at the grocery store and piano lessons. I would have to leave my job for a few months which seems scary to me, even though they say they are flexible with people leaving for a few months and can have their position open to come back later. I also feel very socially awkward/unconfident. I want to wrestle because I want to improve my confidence and have something I can work hard at physically. Also, if I make the jump and do it then I will tell myself that fear won't ever get in the way. My heart races every night when I think about whether or not to do the sport. Last night I couldn't fall asleep until 2 am. I'm just really scared, like really scared but also I really wanna make the jump. I tell myself I should do what I want to do because one day I'm not going to be able to do it. Now is the only chance. I can only wrestle this year and next year and maybe college but only college if I do it in high school. But, I can work and do piano all year. This will only be a few months. But damn, I'm so nervous and it feels impossible to say something about it. I don't even know why I came up with the idea of joining the wrestling team. I know I can do it because it's just signup (the only sport at my school that you don't have to tryout). I can drive myself, I have a license, I can just signup, I can take time off of work so I'm in full control but fear is in the way. The info meeting is in 2 weeks, and I have limited time to make a choice. I need some help getting through this.

2. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

Do it.

Fuck work, you're still in school... you'll find a way to minimize expenses and maximize time for your priorities.

3. Just do it. I've tried Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (hardly different from wrestling) and it's super fun. Not only does it improve you physically and give you confidence, it also helps you develop skills that can one day save your (or someone else's) life and acts as a brilliant stress reliever.

4. A41:14A

A41:14A Fapstronaut

Scary feeling is Good!!
    Do what makes you have 'that feeling!'
    Go sign-up..
    Work can wait, you'll be doing that for the rest of your life..
    Go within yourself and make your own decisions! :)

@elevate (your guidance too please bud?!) Taa!

Hold it in likes this.
  5. yourhomieishere

The scariest part for me is the initial action of asking my parents. I might be over thinking everything though.

420 mile high and A41:14A like this.
  6. yourhomieishere

I'm planning to bring up the topic to my mom in the car ride today. I'm hella nervous but I'm going to try and pull through. I will write a post tonight.

420 mile high likes this.
  7. Son of Midgaard

Son of Midgaard Fapstronaut

Do you really have to tell them? I mean what are the chances of them finding out in the beginning...then...when this character building training increases your confidence and sense of self-worth, tell them then? Everything is easier to communicate when you know it is actually working out for you, right?

420 mile high likes this.
  8. Ineedthisbazz

Ineedthisbazz Fapstronaut

One thing for sure i hate how things have played in my past. I now 25 years old and i had started boxing in 23 and after one year i changed to grepling(wrestling with subimison).Only thing i wish that i started younger. I grow up in small town without any wrestling or boxing school. We had some shity karate and japanes jiu jitsu even on that my father did not let me go when i was high school.
    When i have moved to colage i waited four years to start traning.
    I know can not invest myself in material arts like i want because i have obligation and i am in search for job
    Soo yeeeeaaaa pls start traning right now
    You can practice shot and sprawl at home
    So if you have access pls use it

9. Keep the job if you need money fuck the piano replace it with your goals and dreams if you want to wrestle go for it 100 percent who cares if your family gets mad do what makes you happy man . And if it's the job fuck the job go for what's gonna make u smile in 10 years and say yeah I wrestled in college instead of I wish I wrestled in college.

Asgardian36 and yourhomieishere like this.
  10. yourhomieishere

I am definitely going to tell my family. Secrets aren't my style (watch a tv show/movie keeping secrets always bites). Also, I would need them to sign a permission slip, I'm under 18 lol

11. yourhomieishere

Thank you, this is inspirational. I am going to push past the fear and just do it. I need to be happy. Not that I'm not happy right now, just I could change my life and grow myself into something better. Also, I really enjoy the piano but I can still play at my house.

12. yourhomieishere

I will! I need to , I need to achieve my dream. If I chicken out, I would live with regret and teach myself that fear is stronger than me.

Ineedthisbazz likes this.
  13. yourhomieishere

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the support! You guys have motivated me so much. I am going to wrestle this year. I won't mention it to my parents until Monday because we're going on a trip this weekend to see my brother and I don't want to stress myself to tell them on the trip. I will tell them on Monday and directly say I found a sport I want to do. They're not gonna go and ask me if I want to join wrestling, so I will have to ask them. No one's gonna hold my hand and achieve my dream for me. I have to make the move myself. I tell myself, the wrestling team will move on with or without me so if I am undecided I won't get to achieve my dream.

14. Son of Midgaard

Son of Midgaard Fapstronaut

Oh, I see, I did not suggest any utter secrecy though, please read and digest the entire post next time :)

15. yourhomieishere

That's a very salty looking smiley face lol XD. It's all chill, you made a good point though with getting in the flow first before I tell people.

16. yourhomieishere

Hey guys! I have an awesome update today! I decided to bring it up to my mom ( I was wicked scared, my heart is still racing lol), and now I'm going to join the wrestling team this year. I'm really nervous now that it is all real. I am still unsure of what to think but I'm willing to try hard. I really hope it's gonna be fun, but at the very least I'm gonna grow as a person and keep facing my fears! I'm hella proud of myself for facing this impossible fear. The info meeting is next week, I'll write my whole wrestling journey on this forum to find other wrestlers/want to be wrestlers out there. Or just to inspire anyone who wants to try something new but is scared.

17. yourhomieishere

This is really crazy for me. Somehow I'm terrified, confident, happy, scared, hyped, and wanting to quit at the same time. This is WAY out of my comfort zone. I still can't believe I will go through with this.

18. thegibbie

thegibbie Fapstronaut

Do this. Wrestling builds character and discipline.

19. yourhomieishere

Are you a wrestler?

thegibbie likes this.
  20. thegibbie

thegibbie Fapstronaut

I train MMA